Click image for larger version

Name:	20180902_150628.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	154974Click image for larger version

Name:	20180902_150641.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	154973 I put the flight metal on in small pieces around the cowling.
    The tape is where I will cut it. The tape helps you see the line you have to cut on.
    BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

After the advice here and in other threads, I took the time to fill and sand the foam surface on my Cherokee. Last night I added the gloss white top coat and I was shocked at how much better it looked! Taking the time to fill and sand really makes the plane look better. The foam surface doesn't look that much like foam anymore. With the flat primer, there was almost no evidence it was foam. The high gloss finish of course brings out any surface imperfections, but it looks a thousand times better after the sanding, filling, and sanding again. Sanding the canopy back to the substrate and spending a lot of time cleaning the surface over and over again fixed the adhesion problem. Not sure what kind of oil got on the canopy, but it took a lot of work to get it off. It was after the factory paint since the factory stuff stuck on the canopy pretty well.

Comment

BRGT350,

That's fantastic that you're plane is turning out well glad that nothing went wrong

Sanding is your friend

Name:	20180922_060156.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	155004 more than anything and that you're getting a better paint job out of it and learning some new skills along the way

can't wait to see how it all turns out so make a thread so we can see.
        BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

Yes, I will post pictures when it is done. It will still be a few weeks before it is fully done.

Comment

Busy day in the shop

Name:	20181007_201950.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	155320Click image for larger version  Name:	20181007_190208.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	155318

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181007_195444.jpg Views:	1 Size:	123.3 KB ID:	155317

Comment

Those are going to make a great pair!

Comment

My MOJO is working to night, so I wish I could call off sick to finish it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181008_204516.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	155484Click image for larger version

Name:	20181008_215642.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	155485

Comment

Name:	20181008_234710.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	155504

Comment

Time to go to bed, work is coming all to soon now. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181009_000408.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	155507

Comment

Name:	20181009_001559.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	155512

Comment

I really like where this white one is going! Curious if you weighed them before and after paint?
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                          I really like where this white one is going! Curious if you weighed them before and after paint?
                          Sorry, no I did not weigh them before starting.
                          No primer coat this time.
                          Used the spray on Minwax and not the brush on Minwax.
                          Lots of wet sanding between coats.

Less paint sprayed on rear and bottom of the elevators, wings and the bottom of the plane ,lessons learned from the Blue Angels plane.

If you remember from my flight video of the Blue Angels, I didn't notice any performance difference in flight after painting, just the CG moved from my normal spot. Had to move the battery forward.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181008_204655.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.9 KB ID:	155535

Comment

Made my own paint mask for the nose and rudder. Forgot to take pictures of rudder before the paint went on.

I really liked the down draft from the fan when paint the nose and elevators. That was so cool , that I'm gonna have to make a table with the fans pointing down in it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181007_125837.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.1 KB ID:	155539Click image for larger version  Name:	20181007_125848.jpg Views:	1 Size:	84.9 KB ID:	155540Click image for larger version  Name:	20181007_184759.jpg Views:	1 Size:	134.0 KB ID:	155541

Comment

Looking good.

Mike
                              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Very cool! Cant wait to see them side by side ready to go.

Comment

This is the part I hate, and will take some masking skill not to bleed over. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181009_230835.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	155659

Comment

How are you doing your rivets?
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                      How are you doing your rivets?
                                      A brass tube clamped into my dremel tool.

Name:	20181005_044419.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	155694

Comment

Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
                                        This is the part I hate, and will take some masking skill not to bleed over. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181009_230835.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	155659
                                        Try Clear low tack self paper ( I get it at Wally World ). That's how I masked my A-10

Mike
                                        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

Try Clear low tack self paper ( I get it at Wally World ). That's how I masked my A-10

Mike
                                          Thanks Mike , I will give that a try today.
                                          Hope this works , because it has slow down everything I'm doing .
                                          I just want to get to the detailing part soon, so I can see it all come together before the weather gets bad.

Comment

Working...
                                          X