Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

Could you expand on how you used the ice cubes? Thanks
    I thought the idea was a little silly, but it honestly worked. I took a few ice cubes out of the freezer, placed a number of them in a tumbler with some Maker's Mark, and the rest of them in a bowl. Took an ice cube and rubbed it on the decal until it felt cool to touch. Then I lifted a little of the decal and started to pull. I concentrated rubbing the ice cube at the point where the decal was still adhered and where I will pulling it up. You could feel the adhesive get cold and break loose. I kept a constant pressure on pulling and the ice would reduce the adhesion until it lifted. Only a few marks in the foam when trying to remove a big decal. I sipped the Maker's in between decals. Took me about 20 minutes to completely remove all the decals from my Cherokee. If the decal is sticking, just keep rubbing ice on it and it will come loose. Don't force the decal as that is what pulls the foam.

Comment

That's what I've been doing wrong:Ligthbulb:. I didn't use Maker's Mark:). Thanks, I'll give the ice a try too.....

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
        That's what I've been doing wrong:Ligthbulb:. I didn't use Maker's Mark:). Thanks, I'll give the ice a try too.....
        Yep, it really helps out. Best to enjoy the Maker's during the process and when taking breaks when your hand gets cold. I was very skeptical that it would actually work, but it did! I just didn't like the idea of using heat, which is what I do on automotive applications.

Comment

I'm wondering if it was oil based and not water based. I coat mine with Minwax , let it bubble up and wipe it off, removes any mold release, repeat until there is not balling and then let it dry, afterwards, give it a nother coat. I've never had any problem with it.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

The repaint on the Cherokee is going horrible. The primer and paint bubbled up on one side of the fuselage, wouldn't adhere to a section of the canopy, and the wings were filled with divots and holes around every foam cell. Oddly, the elevator which was painted and prepped using all the same process and done at the same time looks perfect. Out of all the foam planes I have done paint work on, I have never had one come out this bad. I have been busy sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, and filling, and more sanding trying to salvage it. Any suggestions on what the clean the foam/previous layer of paint/primer before the next coat? Normally I would be using 3M Automotive Adhesive Remover if this was a car project, but not something I think would be good for foam. I don't want to remove the previous layer of paint/primer, just make sure the surface is clean before painting.

It is amazing how much difference there is between my first Cherokee and the replacement. The first one was so nice I was afraid to paint it. The surface looked uniform and nice, paint was applied nicely, and everything was masked well around the canopy. My replacement Cherokee is completely the opposite. The surface is full of dings/dents, voids around the foam, bubbled up foam in some spots, overspray on the fuselage and canopy. I didn't feel bad about painting the replacement after I got it out of the box and saw it. I don't ever recall seeing a brand new plane in this poor of shape out of the box. Even my crappy Dynam and Tower Hobbies planes looked better. Since I was repainting it, I didn't think it would be too much of an issue. I think all of those things came back to haunt me as I started to repaint it.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
              The repaint on the Cherokee is going horrible. The primer and paint bubbled up on one side of the fuselage, wouldn't adhere to a section of the canopy, and the wings were filled with divots and holes around every foam cell. Oddly, the elevator which was painted and prepped using all the same process and done at the same time looks perfect. Out of all the foam planes I have done paint work on, I have never had one come out this bad. I have been busy sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, and filling, and more sanding trying to salvage it. Any suggestions on what the clean the foam/previous layer of paint/primer before the next coat? Normally I would be using 3M Automotive Adhesive Remover if this was a car project, but not something I think would be good for foam. I don't want to remove the previous layer of paint/primer, just make sure the surface is clean before painting.

It is amazing how much difference there is between my first Cherokee and the replacement. The first one was so nice I was afraid to paint it. The surface looked uniform and nice, paint was applied nicely, and everything was masked well around the canopy. My replacement Cherokee is completely the opposite. The surface is full of dings/dents, voids around the foam, bubbled up foam in some spots, overspray on the fuselage and canopy. I didn't feel bad about painting the replacement after I got it out of the box and saw it. I don't ever recall seeing a brand new plane in this poor of shape out of the box. Even my crappy Dynam and Tower Hobbies planes looked better. Since I was repainting it, I didn't think it would be too much of an issue. I think all of those things came back to haunt me as I started to repaint it.
              This bad , acetone it all the way back down and start over.
              Yes it means more work but something is wrong, so try and save it.
              I've done the same thing so I know how you feel, but I was able to save my project in the end and it was worth the extra work. Better to do it right then to rush it.

That is why I say there is no perfect way you can repeat these paint jobs . Everyone is different.

It takes me almost a month to do a really good paint job because nothing always goes right.
              BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

One of these for sale on rcgroups.. Not as detailed as yours.
                For Sale Eflite Carbon T-28 Custom Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W)

Comment

Originally posted by CZ Flyer View Post
                  One of these for sale on rcgroups.. Not as detailed as yours.
                  Yes you are right !
                  Not as nice as mine.:)

Wait till you see my next CZ T-28 paint job.
                  BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

Originally posted by t33jetman View Post

This bad , acetone it all the way back down and start over.
                    Yes it means more work but something is wrong, so try and save it.
                    I've done the same thing so I know how you feel, but I was able to save my project in the end and it was worth the extra work. Better to do it right then to rush it.

That is why I say there is no perfect way you can repeat these paint jobs . Everyone is different.

It takes me almost a month to do a really good paint job because nothing always goes right.
                    All the spots where the paint didn't adhere have been brought back to the substrate. The adhesion issue was limited to only a few spots, mostly on the plastic canopy. Remaining surfaces have been filled, sanded, filled, and then sanded again until everything feels smooth and the voids have all been filled. I fully expect the job to take a solid month to complete given the 24-48 of needed cure time. Only a small section of the plane was done at a time and I made sure the paint sat for at least 48 hours before being touched to paint the next section. So one half of the fuselage was one with the top coat followed by 48 hours of cure time and then the plane was flipped to paint the opposite side. I never allowed the plane to sit on the previously painted section for more than the time it took to paint the opposite side. It cured sitting on the landing gear or an unpainted section.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180930_213112.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	154353Click image for larger version  Name:	20180930_092148.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	154352 I've had the same issues with my canopy too. It took me 4 days to get this to come out right which ate up alot of time.

Comment

I think with the right prep work, I should be ok tonight to re-prime the side of the canopy. I do have the say that after all this panting and prep work, I need to get a taller work surface! A folding table might need to be in the works.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
                          I think with the right prep work, I should be ok tonight to re-prime the side of the canopy. I do have the say that after all this panting and prep work, I need to get a taller work surface! A folding table might need to be in the works.
                          I will have to say that my two folding tables are getting a workout this year. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181002_050239.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	154492

Comment

This gap was bugging me.
                            Micro balloons, epoxy, foam filler, Saran Wrap, sand paper
                            Better now, just need primer now. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181003-102524_Gallery.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	154721Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_044244.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	154722Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_192147.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	154723

Comment

Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
                              This gap was bugging me.
                              Micro balloons, epoxy, foam filler, Saran Wrap, sand paper
                              Better now, just need primer now. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181003-102524_Gallery.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	154721Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_044244.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	154722Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_192147.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	154723
                              I think someone wishes he was a painter. Jetman, I always look forward to seeing your handy work. You do some nice work my brotha. I'm dying to try some of that chrome paint on one of my models. I was actually considering trying it before I saw your work., (the can and cap is pretty enticing). Looks like it works out real good, can't wait to try it, thinking about doing the leading edges of my Viper Jet with that stuff. I flew on a Cessna Jet, about 2 weeks ago, and it had very shiny, polished leading edges, kind of stuck in my head. I want something that will encase the foam in a hard plastic shell to hide the foam. Haven't decided on anything yet though, don't think I want to do epoxy as that would add too much weight. Been thinking about flight metal, looks like an awfully lot of work though.

Best Regards
                              Woody

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181004-064520_Firefox.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	154805 Woodcock,
                                Flight metal is EASY, Just need lot of sharp razor blades !
                                My first time doing it and it turned out great. Just turn on some music and start rubbing it on and cut it. Watch the videos it went on fast after I cutout the first piece. I purchased ten feet of it just so I could practice but I didn't need it.

This was to be a quick paint job but that's out the window. I'm catching up so this might get done.

Comment

Flawless .
                                  I can't take credit for this, because Terry Nich showed me how to do this back in the old ducted fan days.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181004_043030.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	154799

Comment

Just amazing watching an artist work!

Comment

I couldn't agree more, ok jetman I'll bite, where can I get that flight metal stuff?

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                                        I couldn't agree more, ok jetman I'll bite, where can I get that flight metal stuff?

Woody
                                        I just typed in flight metal.com on a Google search.
                                        I purchased ten feet. That's plenty to start with.
                                        Watch the video !

I also put it on my prop and rebalance with no issues in flight. Click image for larger version  Name:	20180920_001609.jpg Views:	1 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	154950

Comment

I was wondering where you got that prop.

Woody

Comment

Working...
                                          X