X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eflite Pitts

My new Eflite Pitts showed up yesterday, and recieved its maiden flight today. Definitly not for beginners. Its one if the nicest Eflites I've seen. The foam is dense and the paint is thick. Its actually heavier than I expected. I flew it on a 3c 2200, and had more than enough power. Actually flew it a half throttle most of the time and the roll rate was still dizzying. Plenty of vertical performance, and very responsive. The battery compartment is roomy and easy to work in. The battery sled makes it easy to get them in and out . Only drawback is it doesnt have enough rudder authority. Set the throws to 150%, hammerhead stalls were blah and inside snap rolls look like barrel rolls. Im going to install a longer servo arm to try to get more throw. Outside snaps however are tight and managed a couple decent lomecevaks. Landings are exciting and fast. It is said that landing a Pitts is like riding a tricycle backwards at 100mph. Its pretty close, I kept the approach at just above quarter. I reduced to just below quarter at flare and it would grease it on. Pulled the power off once and it dropped. The Pitts glides like a brick, and have to stay ahead of it. Over all this is going to become my fav quickly. It will get a makeover to the Cloud Dancer Pitts scheme to set it apart from the rest.

Nice review , I'm excited for mine to show up on my porch . tracker says Friday :-)

Comment

Thanks, its a blast to fly, you'll enjoy it.

Comment

Im going to work on the rudder servo tomorrow, I'll report back on how it works out.

Comment

Appreciate the review. My PNP version should arrive tomorrow. If I didn't know what aircraft you were reviewing, I might think it was for the E-flite UMX Pitts. It sounds like this airplane flies like the UMX which I have been flying for years and have been waiting years for them to offer this larger version. I'm happy!

Comment

I have the UMX version as well, I too have been anxiously awaiting a larger version of quality. Eflite definitely knocked this one out of the park.
            I installed a new rudder servo with a longer arm as none of my servo arms fit the spektrum servo. Looks to have more travel but only one way to find out. Of course it had to rain today, so flight test will have to wait.

Comment

I love the UMX Pitts. It really is a wonderfully flying model, especially given its size, and even more remarkable is the detail on the model itself for a biplane.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I too loved the pants off my UMX Pitts and to this day the FMS 1400 Pitts still stands as one of my all-time favorites in that class/size. Just stupid fun. I will have to pick this one up at some point for sure. You know, before E-flite discontinues it.

;)
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I bought the FMS Pitts four years ago. Still have it, no gyro, 55 inch wingspan, 8lbs 5 ozs, flies on 6s. Landings are definitely exciting! No rudder issues and reasonably snappy. I ditched the stock three blade prop and installed a two blade wood zoar prop for improved performance and no vibration.

Comment

Curious about why Horizon chose this 30 something wingspan and not something like 44" like so many of their birds are?

Comment

On my UMX Pitts one wingstrut came loose from the G-loads and I added my own reinforcement with cardboard which I cutout in exact shape as the stock struts. I wonder how this new Pitts will handle the Gs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
                        Curious about why Horizon chose this 30 something wingspan and not something like 44" like so many of their birds are?
                        Not sure my self ... but this is the size i was looking for and jumped on it quick

Comment

This new pitts has some of the densest foam ive seen out of an Eflite. The canbanes have plastic reinforcements top and bottom on the attach points. I didnt use the flying wires yet, and rung it out every which way I could. Wings are held on with clips so the can easily be removed. Everything snaps together real tight. I think it will take about any punishment you could throw at it. I intend to find out.

Comment

Mines listed as out for delivery tomorrow !! But of course the forecast for thursday is 30's and maybe some snow :-(

Comment

I flew it again today in some stiff wind. It didnt seem to care. I put a longer arm on the rudder servo and it seem to give me more throw and more effectiveness. Landing was a handfull in the crosswind. Made 3 attempts before I stuck it. Hoping tomorrow will be less windy and I can try again.

Comment

I'm excited ! As captAmerica says the foam and paint are excellent. Everything went together great .

Comment

It arrived today. I chose the free shipping option and it took about 12 days. The foam is very denseand has a strong feel. The instructions seem like they were translated from chinese to japanese then into english. HH made in America should be able to do better than that. I'm gaving a heck of a time inserting the 4 "retainer pins" to lock the struts in place. Cant seem to stick it through all the holes. Anyone have a tip for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
                                    It arrived today. I chose the free shipping option and it took about 12 days. The foam is very denseand has a strong feel. The instructions seem like they were translated from chinese to japanese then into english. HH made in America should be able to do better than that. I'm gaving a heck of a time inserting the 4 "retainer pins" to lock the struts in place. Cant seem to stick it through all the holes. Anyone have a tip for that?
                                    Yes , getting the pins in takes some effort ! I placed the wings on a nice soft towel so i could push pretty hard on the strut .. rock the strut a little forward to get the pin started . after getting them together the first time it's easier after that .

Comment

Wow ! Love this plane , ran 2 packs this morning . as you can see in the pic it's a bit windy but I've been waiting a few day for the first flights . Ran high rates all around . Definitely not a beginner plane. LOL !
                                      Ran with 4s 1800 and a 4s 2200 timer at 5 minutes.

Comment

Appreciate the help with sticking the retainer pins into the struts. Can someone post a close-up pic of a strut with the retainer pin inserted. Maybe I dont have my struts oriented correctly. I managed to get the pins inserted through the first hole but the second hole is my problem. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X