X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Places you fly. Post your videos.

Picture perfect conditions Lon! Very nice.
    Off with one helluva roar!
    AMA 1085465

Comment

Hey Lon, looks great and what a nice place to fly from.  So many things to try!
      I'm thinking of skis for the Pandora in the winter, just 'cause

Grossman56 
      Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by XF-15DCC
        Picture perfect conditions Lon! Very nice.
        Thanks XF,

Conditions was just great to maiden. This is going to be a great place to fly.
        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Maiden flight. Early in the morning to get best wind conditions for the maiden flight of my Flyzone Island Wings DHC-2 Beaver.

https://youtu.be/wqjs3UEgfok

Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon
            Here's a video of a place I couldn't fly, till I received and built the Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver.
            This video was taken at Sabula Lake, in Sabula, Iowa. Only a 6 minute drive from the house. So guess where i'll be flying frequently!
            This is the second flight. First flight video turned out blurry.
            Maiden flight was uneventful, but exciting! Had to do very little trim adjustment. Took off without flaps first flight. Very scale takeoff. Second flight I deployed flaps for takeoff. That really made her jump out of the water by the time I was at half throttle! You'll see that in the video. This flying off the water is SOOOO cool!!!

http://youtu.be/zQxAoWDG1ig
            What a great place to fly!!!! Perfect!!
            Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl
              Originally posted by Lon
              Here's a video of a place I couldn't fly, till I received and built the Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver.
              This video was taken at Sabula Lake, in Sabula, Iowa. Only a 6 minute drive from the house. So guess where i'll be flying frequently!
              This is the second flight. First flight video turned out blurry.
              Maiden flight was uneventful, but exciting! Had to do very little trim adjustment. Took off without flaps first flight. Very scale takeoff. Second flight I deployed flaps for takeoff. That really made her jump out of the water by the time I was at half throttle! You'll see that in the video. This flying off the water is SOOOO cool!!!

http://youtu.be/zQxAoWDG1ig
              What a great place to fly!!!! Perfect!!

Yes it is! Great access to get the plane in and out. And don't have to worry about wind direction. And the view is great.
              Lon

Comment

Originally posted by Lon
                Originally posted by Hippie 64
                Gaffney S.C. ,

https://vimeo.com/131046657 

I fly behind the High School on the practice football field . It was 97 degrees at 7 pm when I was flying

Bryan

Great! Really enjoy watching your flights.

[hr]
                Here' a short flight at our club's field in Dubuque Iowa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xerz3iyKAlE
                I went flying at the Dubuque club field yesterday. Except for a heavy overcast at times, flying conditions were excellent. Winds were calm to 3-4mph. Decided to take just two planes. The Freewing Iron Ass and my Durafly Old Crow.  Went thru 11 batteries in the Iron Ass, and 4 1/2 with the Old Crow.  Let me explain the "1/2" on the Old Crow. Halfway thru the flight with Old Crow, I made a high speed pass into a vertical climb straight up, spiraling up.........when I decided to stop the vertical spiral and loop back down, things got funny....at first I thought I had just got disorientated for a second, and that's why it wasn't doing what I thought I was telling it to do.  But then I realized, all the plane wanted to do, is roll hard right! Long story short, I struggled for about 15 seconds, several looping rolls trying to gain control/figure out. Before losing sight of her over a hill....in the corn field...NOTE: Corn fields in Iowa this time of year 9-10 feet tall. Fast forward.....after over an hour, walking corn row after corn row, I needed a break. At the field site as I walked out of the corn field. A fellow flyer commented "That's not good, when a flyer comes walking out of a corn field" I told my story....one flyer commented, "it's always farther away than you thought" ....After a 15 minute break, thinking...maybe he's right AND that farther distance would actually take me out farther into a alfalfa field I had "half checked" to begin with before going into the corn field.
                Sure enough, I went another 150 yards past my starting point I had walked before, and there she was! All snuggled in the alfalfa (knee high). Nothing broke, cracked...but, the left aileron stuck in the down position.

I cut across the corn field and emerged from the field with the plane held high in the air, to the surprise of several flyers (a plane went down Thursday in the field, has not been found yet).

I have not messed with the plane yet. thinking just a servo replacement will fix her.
                Lon

Comment

To go with my previous post above. Here's some pics from yesterday's adventure at the field, to include pics of the corn to give you a idea of how challenging it would be to lose a plane in the corn.

Note: I'm ordering several of these alarms. http://www.motionrc.com/skyrc-signal-loss-alarm-and-aircraft-finder/?gclid=CPby26-lnMcCFY81aQodlKECXw
                  Attached Files
                  Lon

Comment

I took the Pandora with me this week when on the road. Did a flight with the Mobius mounted over halfway out on the wing. As you will see, the camera that far out on the wing will make that wing dip down at slow landing speed. Can't just cut the throttle at the end and float her in...keep the speed up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOf6upD3cbY
                    Attached Files
                    Lon

Comment

Boy it really did dip! As I've said before, I am so jealous of your field Lon.... That's just a beautiful vid. Makes me think a Pandora might make a pretty good plane to fly FPV with... Pretty stable ya know?
                      Lauren

Comment

Hey Guys and Gals, I wonder if you couldn't modify the canopy/hatch cover to accept the camera on the inside, tap a hole through the black windshield and insert the camera through it?  That way the camera would be inside and pretty close to your C/G.  A spare hatch cover isn't expensive?

Just a thought

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
                          Hey Guys and Gals, I wonder if you couldn't modify the canopy/hatch cover to accept the camera on the inside, tap a hole through the black windshield and insert the camera through it?  That way the camera would be inside and pretty close to your C/G.  A spare hatch cover isn't expensive?

Just a thought

Grossman56
                          Good point Gman. I have placed the Mobius on top at the CG point. You can't even tell it is there when flying. But like to place it out on the wing for a different angle, and get away from filming thru the prop. If you place it on the wing close to the fuselage, you don't know it's there when flying, compared to when I placed it out further on the wing in the video. I've done that on my Mustang and Pandora, close to the fuselage(2" out).
                          If you did modify the canopy hatch, that would work great. But then again, you would be filming even more thru the prop.
                          Lon

Comment

Ok.....I've felt that a few of my videos I've posted were "not bad" of places I've flown.  This video I feel is the most scenic I've made. A few things came together to make it this way. Time and location. Just so happened it was right about sunset, and the wind was down to almost nothing making the lake almost like glass, reflecting the sunset sky and scattered clouds on the lake surface.  And also, one of my granddaughters was along, and she repeatedly said it was "Cool!", that can be heard on the video.

Hope you enjoy the video as much as I have.

https://youtu.be/oSKveax0vyc
                            Lon

Comment

Originally posted by I Lon
                              Ok.....I've felt that a few of my videos I've posted were "not bad" of places I've flown.  This video I feel is the most scenic I've made. A few things came together to make it this way. Time and location. Just so happened it was right about sunset, and the wind was down to almost nothing making the lake almost like glass, reflecting the sunset sky and scattered clouds on the lake surface.  And also, one of my granddaughters was along, and she repeatedly said it was "Cool!", that can be heard on the video.

Lon, while the sunset flight was awesome, your granddaughter was the most fun to watch and hear! There's nothing like time spent and shared with family. 

Thanks for sharing another Iowa location. It's great seeing the many different flying venues available to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Wolf
                                Originally posted by I Lon

Lon, while the sunset flight was awesome, your granddaughter was the most fun to watch and hear! There's nothing like time spent and shared with family. 

Thanks for sharing another Iowa location. It's great seeing the many different flying venues available to you.
                                Thanks Sky Wolf.
                                I went to that location again this morning and did 4 flights with the DHC-2 Beaver. Came home, loaded up the FW P-51 and run 4 batteries thru her up at the High School.  Going back to fly the DHC-2 Beaver in a little bit. What great weather here on a holiday to fly.  It would be better to have one of the grandkids along again. It does make it better having them along to play and enjoy.
                                Lon

Comment

Originally posted by Lon
                                  Originally posted by Sky Wolf
                                  Originally posted by I Lon

Thanks Sky Wolf.
                                  I went to that location again this morning and did 4 flights with the DHC-2 Beaver. Came home, loaded up the FW P-51 and run 4 batteries thru her up at the High School.  Going back to fly the DHC-2 Beaver in a little bit. What great weather here on a holiday to fly.  It would be better to have one of the grandkids along again. It does make it better having them along to play and enjoy.
                                  ????

Comment

Well I finally did it , took my FMS Zero out for it's maiden . What a great flying plane !!!!!!
                                    Little windy but I was determined .....

https://vimeo.com/138573635 

Bryan
                                    But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Originally posted by Lon

I think that is one of the prettiest in flight airplane videos I have seen Lon. It's just beautiful!
                                      Lauren

Comment

Our County has given our club a great field at one of the County parks & does a super job maintaining it for us.

Denny

http://www.lhmac.org/
                                        *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
                                        *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

Boy you are lucky!!
                                          Lauren

Comment

Working...
                                          X