You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tengarang's Avenue concerning Lord Emperor Teng's Weekly Field and Hangar Maintenance Activity

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Plane Rescue Aparatus USS Pier Pressure Titanic II

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2018-08-11 at 8.47.35 PM (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	120.2 KB ID:	197158

Comment

Rancho San Antonio 05/31/2019 Modified FMS XF6F-6 Hellcat 1100mm

Blog Post Entry#7,

Serial Number: Aircraft#8 of the Tengarang Fleet
      Type: Tail Dragger
      Application: Military/Fighter
      Designation/Identifier: FMS XF6F-6 Hellcat 1100mm
      Nationality: USA
      Motor: Eflite BL15 880KV
      Propeller: FMS 10.5x8x4
      Power Source: 4s 2200mah
      Radio/Modulation: DX9/DSMX

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4409.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	197538

Name:	IMG_4407.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	197536

Name:	IMG_4408.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	197537
      Grumman XF6F-6 Hellcat Also, visit my website for addition RC video content @ https://www.edfwarbirds.com/ Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/EDFWarbirds/?skipFac=1 My facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/LordEmperorTeng My Twitter @ https://twitter

Comment

Comment

Since the Black Horse Heinkel He-111 1750mm (68.9") Wingspan model will be my first balsa model, I want to make absolutely sure there is plenty of security features in the event of any possibility of battery failure to the ESC and motor load. I will be building a supercapacitor network circuit to charge and if needed in emergency cases, discharge the high capacitance capacitor network in series by utilizing a couple of external components. The key here is to pick optimized resistance values for the charging and discharging circuitry which will be toggled by a high power automotive relay rated at 100Amps with a 12V coil voltage. It's unfortunate that there aren't any relays that accept 5V coil drive, which means I'll need to put in a 5V to 12V DC to DC step-up converter to mitigate this issue. The 5V input will be driven by the hobbyking Dr. Mad thrust UBEC with 2A output load at 5V, I will be sourcing this module with a 2s 2200mah lipo for driving the ubec driver as well as powering the receiver via the ubec itself. I chose the 2200mah 2s pack because of the high torque servos I plan on using for the ailerons and the high accuracy digital elevator servo, as well as the B-17 1875mm, retract setup. and will utilize a 4800uF cap or this one will work (bind port) to decouple the output SBEC 5V to the RX in conjunction with the Dr. Mad thrust regulated 5V out as well, in case any set of BEC's fail there are sure to be more that are going to be active to ensure a brownout will not occur.

Note: there will be two relays and two Dr. Mad thrust UBEC's which will be sourced by the single 2s 2200mah pack, the relays will need to be individually switched for the supercapacitor circuit to proper charge and discharge as I do not want the battery connected during the discharge phase, and also during normal non emergency operation, I want the capacitor to be an open circuit condition after it is fully charged at 16.2V.

Note: in place of the Dr. Mad thrust UBEC module a DR. Mad thrust On-off switch may also be incorporated in place as a substitute but this also means an external BEC such as the Castle Creations BEC 10A will be used as the main BEC module in conjunction with the integrated BECs of the ESC's

The output of the 5V driver from the Dr. mad thrust module will be the input voltage of the 5V to 12V DC to DC step-up converter which will drive an automotive relay mentioned above. I will set the driving circuit to the AUX2 for the main supply relay, and AUX3 will control the supercapacitor relay. Therefore a Lemon 10 Channel RX with Satellite will be incorporated for this operation, with an external eagle tree stabilizer.

For starters, I plan on using a 0.1 Ohm 1% tolerance resistor and a series (Capacitance is the same and voltage gets added, just like a battery) network of six 2.7V 1Farad capacitors to achieve the desired RC time constant in order to quickly charge the capacitor in about ~3.3 seconds before the flight begins. After the capacitor is done the charging, the current across the R1. With a charging characteristic of Seven, RC time constants will essentially have zero voltage drop across it which will terminate its way across R2 into the active load ESC and Brushless motor loads.

Now for the discharging part of the circuit:

If should the discharge circuit ever be needed, in case if a battery happens to be bad or if the runway is too crowded or if its too windy (and therefore multiple attempts to land is needed requiring emergency energy); an act of God determines that the battery is gonna quit and there's nothing left, beyond Low voltage cut off for the ESC's to suck on, then we will simply hit the AUX2 switch to open the battery relay, and immediately close the AUX3 switch to close the capacitor relay which by now is fully charged, via the Dr. Mad thrust unit modules to and energize the relay coil by driving 12V to it via the DC to DC step-up converter. The supercapacitor initially is at 16.2V terminated by R2 (50ohms this value will be calibrated upon experimentation) with a wide tolerance resistor which was chosen to achieve an RC time constant to reach a ~3minute discharge (theoretical at 50Ohms) characteristic. But this being an active load with variable throttle should keep enough to buy enough time to bring the aircraft down safely should a battery network give up.

I will create a debug board and simulate which R1 and R2 values will really be feasible. Because the active load is going to be variable with throttle input, it might be noteworthy to increase the value of R2 to 70ohms (or more) to reach a higher RC time constant and discharge time, but I will stick with these theoretical values to start with to see what might happen until I get a debug session going.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Heinkel Super Capacitor Version 2.png Views:	0 Size:	282.8 KB ID:	198458

Click image for larger version  Name:	Super Cap Charge Discharge.png Views:	0 Size:	39.7 KB ID:	198459

Comment

That sounds... involved. What's your target weight and noise for this apparatus?
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
              That sounds... involved. What's your target weight and noise for this apparatus?
              As far as this part of the circuit is concerned, there will not be any noise (as there is no AC coupling) as this just DC power circuit powered by a battery driving a few relays charing a cap for a course function. The majority of the noise will be coming from the ESC and REceiver which is standard but ill be adding some Ferrite rings to the lead of the ESC close to the receiver to help cancel out the noise there.

If the input/signal to this circuit was a function then some filtering would have to be considered however this is more of a backup circuit "Spare very lightweight battery" .

There won't be much weight penalty but could eat up some real estate, as the power relays are 1.6oz each and there are two of them and the capacitors are less than 1/2 ounce. The significant weight would be the 2200mah 2s pack and the external Ubec's which are apart of my standard setup anyway for all of my planes that have sufficient real estate. Id say the wiring of the circuit will be some significance in terms of weight added but nothing I implement will be affecting the all up weight by too much. I'd be very surprised if more than 10 oz of weight is needed after all is accounted for.

Comment

I've run some calculations. and determined fully booked 1000mah 4s lipo has an energy density of 16.8 Watt-hours. This should be more than enough to fully operate two 4238 750KV loaded by a 10.6x7.8x3 props. An equivalent circuit consisting of 30 super caps in a network of 500 Farads each at 2.7V will have an energy density of 15.2 Watt-hours. Which is fairly close to a 4s 1000mah pack for emergency purpose in the event of any main supply failure.....

Comment

Ive updated the circuit diagram to have 30 of these super caps at 500Farads to achieve a near equivalent energy density of a 1000mah 4s pack fully charged for emergency purposes

Name:	Heinkel Super Capacitor Version 2.png
Views:	269
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	198689

Comment

Originally posted by tengarang View Post

Ive updated the circuit diagram to have 30 of these super caps at 500Farads to achieve a near equivalent energy density of a 1000mah 4s pack fully charged for emergency purposes

Name:	Heinkel Super Capacitor Version 2.png
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	198689
                    Why not just get a Mr. Fusion and get a full 1.21 jigawats.:)l

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Why not just get a Mr. Fusion and get a full 1.21 jigawats.:)l
                      hahahaha :):Whew:

Comment

This will be the equivalent circuit to that of a 4s 1000mah fully charged lipo which has comparable energy density. For an emergency, in the event, the battery will fail or disconnects from the main flight.

FYI for a fully charged 4s 1000mah (C rating wont matter) has an energy density of 16.8 Watt hours

For the equivalent super cap network shown below i have calculated 15.2 watt hours.

Plenty of juice to do what needs to be done to bring her back to the runway safely.

Name:	2500Farad Super Capacitor.png
Size:	648.9 KB
ID:	198844

Comment

Comment

A german plane will require a german supercapacitor

Comment

Since i cannot delete or revise my previous posts, I will be re-stating some updates here as I have made some modifications to the circuit. Mainly removed the charge and discharge resistors and increased the capacitor count to 36 caps to reach a 500Farad capacitance and maintain an energy density of 18.2 watt hours which is sort of equivalent to a 4s 1.1A lipo. However one must keep in mind not to treat this capacitor like a lipo and smaller fluctuations with throttle must be cautiously exercised while containing the emergency situation until the aircraft lands.

Since the Black Horse Heinkel He-111 1750mm (68.9") Wingspan model will be my first balsa model, I want to make absolutely sure there is plenty of security features in the event of any possibility of battery failure to the ESC and motor load. I will be building a supercapacitor network circuit to charge and if needed in emergency cases, discharge the high capacitance capacitor network by utilizing a couple of external components. The charging and discharging circuitry will be toggled by a high power automotive relay rated at 100Amps with a 12V coil voltage. It's unfortunate that there aren't any relays that accept 5V coil drive (for the 40Amp job), which means I'll need to put in a 5V to 12V DC to DC step-up converter to mitigate this issue. The 5V input will be driven by the hobbyking Dr. Mad thrust UBEC with 2A output load at 5V, I will be sourcing this module with a 2s 2200mah lipo for driving the ubec driver as well as powering the receiver via the ubec itself. I chose the 2200mah 2s pack because of the high torque servos I plan on using for the ailerons and the high accuracy digital elevator servo, as well as the B-17 1875mm, retract setup. and will utilize a 4800uF cap or this one will work (bind port) to decouple the output SBEC 5V to the RX in conjunction with the Dr. Mad thrust regulated 5V out as well, in case any set of BEC's fail there are sure to be more that are going to be active to ensure a brownout will not occur.

Note: there will be two relays and two Dr. Mad thrust UBEC's which will be sourced by the single 2s 2200mah pack, the relays will need to be individually switched for the supercapacitor circuit to proper charge and discharge as I do not want the battery connected during the discharge phase, and also during normal non emergency operation, I want the capacitor to be an open circuit condition after it is fully charged at 16.2V.

Note: in place of the Dr. Mad thrust UBEC module a DR. Mad thrust On-off switch may also be incorporated in place as a substitute but this also means an external BEC such as the Castle Creations BEC 10A will be used as the main BEC module in conjunction with the integrated BECs of the ESC's

The output of the 5V driver from the Dr. mad thrust module will be the input voltage of the 5V to 12V DC to DC step-up converter which will drive an automotive relay mentioned above. I will set the driving circuit to the AUX2 for the main supply relay, and AUX3 will control the supercapacitor relay. Therefore a Lemon 10 Channel RX with Satellite will be incorporated for this operation, with an external eagle tree stabilizer.

I plan on using a 14AWG gauge wire to the 500F capacitor network. After the capacitor is done the charging, I will disconnect it from the circuit during normal operation of the bomber.

As soon as the battery fails due to the will of God the discharging circuit will be engaged and the battery will be removed from the loop.

Now for the discharging part of the circuit:

If should the discharge circuit ever be needed, in case if a battery happens to be bad or if the runway is too crowded or if its too windy (and therefore multiple attempts to land is needed requiring emergency energy); an act of God determines that the battery is gonna quit and there's nothing left, beyond Low voltage cut off for the ESC's to suck on, then we will simply hit the AUX2 switch to open the battery relay, and immediately close the AUX3 switch to close the capacitor relay which by now is fully charged, via the Dr. Mad thrust unit modules to and energize the relay coil by driving 12V to it via the DC to DC step-up converter. The supercapacitor initially is at 16.2V terminated by the esc and motor load. But this being an active load with variable throttle should keep enough to buy enough time to bring the aircraft down safely should a battery network give up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Heinkel Super Capacitor Version 2.png Views:	0 Size:	277.6 KB ID:	199128

Click image for larger version  Name:	2500Farad Super Capacitor.png Views:	0 Size:	678.9 KB ID:	199126

Name:	Super Cap Charge Discharge.png
Views:	223
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	199135
                              Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH=JSON][][/ATTACH]

Name:	IMG_4491.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	199682

Name:	IMG_4493.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	199683
                                Attached Files

Comment

Check out Todays Flight Blog
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like The Lightburner has come out with some new innovations Exclusive to The Lightburner. Safety features are added and the
                                    Prices are very competitive and customization possible upon request.

I may end up getting the FW F-22 just to try out one of these new 90mm releases, Dual LED afterburner specifically designed for all dual tailpipe 80-90mm EDF models

Click image for larger version  Name:	f22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	200598
                                    In stock now! All FMS 70mm, 80mm and 90mm (my unique design for the FMS 90mm outrunner snaps right on the fan shroud replacing the fan tail cone)...

Comment

Took up the fully stock flightline LA7 earlier today.
                                      Handled the cross wind well

Name:	Add a heading.png
Views:	202
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	201189
                                      flightlinerc | flightline | flightline rc | freewing | motionrc | la-7 | warbird | rc warbird | flightline la-7 | flightline lavochkin la-7 | freewing la-7 | freewing | Lavochkin | www.edfwarbirds.com

Comment

Took the Maule up at RSA she flew great with the new 4 blade 10.5x8x4 setup.
                                        Video can be viewed from my Pinterest link below

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/580542208198003248/

Serial Number: Aircraft#31 of the Tengarang Fleet
                                        Type: Tail Dragger
                                        Application: Civilian
                                        Designation/Identifier: Horizon Hobby E-Flite Maule M-7
                                        Nationality: USA
                                        Motor: Eflite BL15 850KV measured
                                        Propeller: FMS 10.5x8x4
                                        Power Source: 4s 3300mah
                                        Radio/Modulation: DX9/DSMX/AS3X

Name:	Add a heading.png
Views:	208
Size:	741.2 KB
ID:	201778
                                        e flite maule m7 | e flite maule vs timber | e flite maule m7 review | e-flite, horizon hobby | maule | horizon hobby e-flite maule | eflite | e flite | maule m7 | maule m-7 | m-7 | stol | e-flite maule m-7 1.5m | bush plane | www.edfwarbirds.com

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-07-11 at 6.18.59 PM.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	205760

Comment

Working...
                                          X