X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tab28682 View Post
    I am a happy Avios C-130 owner and my Albatross is on the way!
    Did you ever own an Avios Sea Fury? I never got the C-130 but I was a very UNhappy Avios Sea Fury owner BUT I am excited about my Albatross arriving on Monday.

Comment

Water Ops!

The real world Albatross is listed as being able to optimally operate in 4 foot seas, with more extreme seas of 8-10 feet possible but JATO required for takeoff.

It was not exactly calm this evening .. winds out of north at 8-10 maybe? But the Albatross handled the chop with no major issues. The reversing throttles and differential thrust feature definitely came in handy. The water rudder struggled to overcome the winds at times, but with the diff flipped on ... no problem! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Did you ever own an Avios Sea Fury? I never got the C-130 but I was a very UNhappy Avios Sea Fury owner BUT I am excited about my Albatross arriving on Monday.
        Nope. I gave that one a pass. Been a while since the early problematic Avios offerings. I like the C-130 a lot. The servos could be better, but everything works great on my model.

Comment

You can't deny that Hobbyking has given us a couple of very cool planes in the C-130, and Albatross. I don't know who is making these calls over there, but in my opinion, their doing a better job at this than the Motion RC folks. Heck, I personally will get that Buffalo too if it ever goes on sale. I'm grateful, to be honest. I don't fault Motion for it. It's just a matter of taste. Their cool, for the most part, just isn't my cool. I do love the up and coming F-18 though. Honestly. No offense intended.

Best Regards
          Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Bajora View Post
            The water rudder struggled to overcome the winds at times, but with the diff flipped on ... no problem! :cool:

The water rudder is on wrong, maybe thats the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
              You can't deny that Hobbyking has given us a couple of very cool planes in the C-130, and Albatross. I don't know who is making these calls over there, but in my opinion, their doing a better job at this than the Motion RC folks. Heck, I personally will get that Buffalo too if it ever goes on sale. I'm grateful, to be honest. I don't fault Motion for it. It's just a matter of taste. Their cool, for the most part, just isn't my cool. I do love the up and coming F-18 though. Honestly. No offense intended.

Best Regards
              Woody
              Never apologize for expressing your opinions Woodcock! This is definitely a good looking aircraft, and I am sure some of what we have coming in the future will be more "your cool". But happy to see so many great offerings from all over for all pilots to enjoy

Comment

I had been waiting for an RC model of the Albatross because I always found it to be a great seaplane design. However one of the main features I was hoping for it have was retracts so it could actually be flown off a runway just like the real deal.
                So unless they come out with a retract add-on kit I have not interest in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                  I had been waiting for an RC model of the Albatross because I always found it to be a great seaplane design. However one of the main features I was hoping for it have was retracts so it could actually be flown off a runway just like the real deal.
                  So unless they come out with a retract add-on kit I have not interest in it.
                  Tom Hunt is developing a retract set that will work with this model. You can see what he is doing in the Albatross thread in the Waterplanes forum on RCGroups. It will not be a kit, however he will be providing the files so modelers can 3D print the appropriate parts. Other pieces such as the retract units, wheels, etc. will be up to the modeler to purchase on their own as well, although he is clearly specifying what he is using. It is a a very slick setup!

Comment

Mine arrived today. Opened it just long enough to check it out. It was well packed and individual parts protected in plastic bags. Mine shows no signs of damage.

From just a quick check, the paint looks very good. kudos to Avios for actually painting the white portion and not just leaving it bare foam. The paint appears to be applied smoothly and the yellow, which I was concerned may be to lemony, is a nice rich shade of yellow.

I plan to eventually wrap this plane and letter it as a WV Air Guard ship, however, I think I will have to put it together and fly it as is for a short while, just because it looks that good.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnVH View Post

The water rudder is on wrong, maybe thats the problem?
                      Nah .. I wanted a more shallow draught, for shallower water operations... and a longer net moment, for more turning authority. Since the real one didn’t even have a water rudder, I am pretty sure you cannot say that there is a “wrong” way to mount it.

;)

Comment

Just in case nobody's paying attention to the RCGroups thread(s), here are the Home Depot paint matches.

Comment

RC Who?!:P

Comment

Originally posted by Bajora View Post

Nah .. I wanted a more shallow draught, for shallower water operations... and a longer net moment, for more turning authority. Since the real one didn’t even have a water rudder, I am pretty sure you cannot say that there is a “wrong” way to mount it.

;)
                            Did you by chance do any on water taxi test without the water rudder? I had a Dynam Catalina and flew it from water without the water rudder. As long as you kept up a little speed on the water it would turn okay without the water rudder.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post

Did you by chance do any on water taxi test without the water rudder? I had a Dynam Catalina and flew it from water without the water rudder. As long as you kept up a little speed on the water it would turn okay without the water rudder.

Jim
                              I have a Canadair CL-415 water bomber. It's a twin (without throttle diff) and I can turn that thing on snow and ice by just maxing out the rudder and blipping the throttle. Wouldn't that work on water?

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                I have a Canadair CL-415 water bomber. It's a twin (without throttle diff) and I can turn that thing on snow and ice by just maxing out the rudder and blipping the throttle. Wouldn't that work on water?
                                I'm thinking yes. As I said, the Catalina turns fine just using the rudder as long as I keep some air flow over it. But since no two planes are exactly the same, I thought I'd ask if Bajora had tested the HU-16 using only the air rudder. Just curious, and I really don't like the looks of that big water rudder.

Comment

I got to maiden mine from grass today. What a sweet flying plane, well done Avios!

I am really looking forward to getting down to the river to try it off of water now.

I removed some of the lettering from mine, waiting on replacement decals from Callie. Decided to just change the tail number to Alameda 911.

I'm also going to paint the water rudder blue gray to see if I can make it a little less noticeable. I may even try to cut one from Lexan.

Comment

All dressed up and no place to go. Still a bit cold and very windy today. Oddly enough, this plane will never float on water (except the frozen kind).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3343.JPG
Views:	1380
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	188688

Comment

Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post

I'm thinking yes. As I said, the Catalina turns fine just using the rudder as long as I keep some air flow over it. But since no two planes are exactly the same, I thought I'd ask if Bajora had tested the HU-16 using only the air rudder. Just curious, and I really don't like the looks of that big water rudder.
                                      Sorry ... I have not. Since I have the differential thrust all set-up, I have been falling back to that.

Comment

I maidened mine off water this weekend. No water rudder, differential throttle. It's a little squirrelly on takeoff but that's just learning then plane. The throttle differential is extremely effective.

I still have one ESC that's braking. Other than that, good to go. Way too much ailerons by the book too. Slightly nose heavy at the 80mm recommended CG. Needed a few clicks of down elevator to trim.

Comment

I really like this plane...I did have to make some dummy radials for it, I used HobbyKing B-17 radials and trimmed the center :Cool:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_172728063_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.8 KB ID:	189048

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_181816737_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	189039

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_181933535_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	189041

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_181730812_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	189042

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_181956665_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	189049

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_181946450_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	189043

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_175118817_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	189044

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_175111560_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	189046

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_181904914_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.4 KB ID:	189047

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_181754365_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	189050

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_175633098_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.4 KB ID:	189051

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_175105737_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.3 KB ID:	189052

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_175815953_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	189054

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_181719256_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.4 KB ID:	189055

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_181744934_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	189056

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_175536334_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.3 KB ID:	189059

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190406_193953728_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	253.0 KB ID:	189057

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190406_194555547_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	236.4 KB ID:	189053

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190406_201248661_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	189040

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190406_201320832_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	189045

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190406_210624844_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.0 KB ID:	189058
                                          TiredIron Aviation
                                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                                          X