Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have set the timer to 7 mins and it takes the battery down to around the 3.8v per cell,

Comment

I found the following summary on mine:
      1. Tail Wheel is one inch too short. The fix is to cut it and solder the two sections into your choice of tubing. This requires opening up the slot for the larger tubing
      2. The bolts for the electric motor "X" mount require reaming it out for them to fit through.
      3. If you don't have enough channels to separate all of your control surfaces....you will need a servo reverser for the flaps
      4. The lower wing pants may not fit the curve of the wing at the leading edge.....extra fiddlement will get you very close though!
      5. The provided rear side fuselage decals are translucent.....appear "Pink" after applied.
      6. Not sure if thin CA is all that is needed for the Horizontal Stabilizer....You may want to remove the covering and deploy epoxy top and bottom for final assembly
      7. The canopy will need some trimming as the bottom edge will most likely set below the canopy line.

I maidened mine via 6s power train and 100amp ESC with a 10amp UBEC....Data logs show it pulled max 65amps (Motion RC Admiral GP10-400Kv motor / 6s 35c 5200mAh LiPo / 14x10 APC prop). Apparently my flap servo reverser caused an issue with my receiver (Motion RC Admiral Stabilizer) and caused a secondary soft shutdown of the Castle ESC (Tri-tone beeps at landing).

I found my 3:30min flight to be fast and for me the suggested 88mm COG was OK...but the suggested travel on the elevator seemed to be too low....I had to kick in my full rates to finish the flight and landed perfectly nose into the wind for a long run out. My first flight impression may change as I get more time on it....but it seemed to me it's not going to like "Slow" Flight.

TwistedGrin

Comment

Finally arrested my electrical gremlins with help of the Castle ESC data logger....showed a signal loss with throttle at 80%. This tells me the radio lost signal and shut down the motor. Pretty sure something caused a brown out forcing loss of signal.....the ESC then goes into failsafe mode. The fix is two things:
        1. Set the UBEC at the 6v output ...this helps the servos with more power
        2. Deploy a capacitor in one of the open channels

Subsequent flights are successful with the last flight at or near 7minutes. I find this model as a fast flyer and does not bleed speed off even with full flaps. It looks great in the air.....let off elevator as soon as the mains touch otherwise secondary baloon and slow speed hop stall will ensue - don't ask me how I know - LOL

Comment

Three more flights today.....6:45minute flights landing at or near 3.87v per cell. Light winds on the nose....super easy take offs. No abrupt changes with full flaps engaged....touch-n-go's better served letting off the elevator sooner than later. The landing gear make lots of racket. I am still flying a little fast than usual so I am intending to start slowing down more each flight. I am confirming this airframe is pretty clean thus the speed does not readily bleed off!!

TwistedGrin

Comment

Received the decals from Callie today , so this is the finished plane :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	220307
            Attached Files

Comment

TwistedGrin Terminater007 I'm glad to see you enjoying yours, TwistedGrin, and I'm excited to see your thoughts on this bird now that you've got yours scaled up and sorted out, Terminater!
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

The plane flies really well , except for the chunky landing gear :) reckon it could do with softer springs...and like twistedgrin says this is a very clean airframe and takes a while to slow down...

Comment

Without exception, everyone who see's this airframe inquires about it.......I think the fixed landing gear and elliptical wing variation shape make this model unique in the air. I will be working on my spinner to update.... following Terminator007's lead which excellent!!

TwistedGrin

Comment

I am very interested in this airframe, I intend to put a 21cc low profile gas engine, and Hitec servos... how's the landing gear holding

Comment

The landing gear is fine even on grass fields..

Comment

That's great news!!
                        What size are the wheels? about to pull the trigger with a VVRC 21 cc low profile gasser and HItec servos
                        Regards,
                        Patrick

Comment

Are the wheel pants plastic or FG? if FG are they thin or robust?

Comment

SmokingSam They were two part plastic on mine, easy to drill and cut with a Dremel, no issues with their robustness. Note, my version is three years old, before Motion RC carried them.
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

80mm wheels and pants are Plastic in 2 parts , so far had no issues with the pants on grass fields..

Comment

OK, thx guys. My Phoenix models Ryan STA has plastic pants and they crack if you breath on them, very disappointing. I am very interested in this model and was hoping it has FG pants even though you guys had no issues. Still, it looks like a beautiful plane.

I was thinking a Saito 120 or a YS 120 would do balance it well and would fly it nicely.

Comment

Well Gents.. Almost finished with mine (sans spinner modification) here's the fuselage with racing livery for G-ADID... my bad that I forgot to tell Callie to make the wing decals red.. so those will be made locally
                                  and will take a couple more days to finish....

Name:	image_58681.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	263165Click image for larger version

Name:	image_58682.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	263166Click image for larger version

Name:	image_58683.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	263167
                                  So far I like it...

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

Finally .. DONE!!!
                                      I messed up and Callie's graphics for the wings came in white not red... so I had to find a good printer here in Costa Rica.. after a couple of tries got it down good.. Now to balance and check throws...
                                      and FLY!!!
                                      Finished product:

Name:	Eagle top.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	268682Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle upside down.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	268683Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle sideway.jpg