X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Innovations RV-8

Hey all, I've been wanting this airplane since it first came out and FINALLY I have one!
    Here's some assembly pics of the biggest bird in the fleet...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4830.JPG
Views:	2017
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	235457Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4837.JPG
Views:	1846
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	235458Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4838.JPG
Views:	1853
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	235459Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4841.JPG
Views:	1747
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	235460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4843.JPG
Views:	2049
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	235461Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4845.JPG
Views:	1773
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	235462Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4846.JPG
Views:	1697
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	235463Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4847.JPG
Views:	1755
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	235464

Name:	IMG_4848.JPG
Views:	1872
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	235465
    A cavernous battery bay! That's an Admiral 5000 6s in there, note the Aura 8 gyro as well. The motor is not installed which is no biggie, the tail glues on with a carbon fiber rod running through it into the fuselage as well. In many ways, it reminds me of a big Pandora, it the cockpit hatch was the same it would pass as a Pandora big brother.
    If you've not heard or seen any of the videos of this bird in flight, they're well worth checking out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIqmyFa_FmI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y0VqfBLgsI
    Can't wait 'til Spring

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Dan ………. 5th pic down, When did you get that Waco?? and what make is it ??
    Yep, it looks like my friend from Wy is now venturing into some 3D flying
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

That's the famed RocHobby Waco I got several years ago. She's a hangar queen now as the wing supports are made of plastic and gave out on her last flight, down she came, right in to a sage brush. Took her home and reassembled her and she's been hanging there for the last 2 years. I just couldn't kill her, even the last flight which was the best flight I'd had on her until the strut failure.

As for 3D, doesn't really interest me, but what a sport flyer this one will make. Meanwhile, I'm struggling through the Aura 8 setup, they told me I wouldn't have to reverse anything, everything needed reversing and I can't seem to get the flaps to work right, on goes up the other goes down even though they state you don't have to you a servo reverser. Crazy!!
      Broke down and ordered a Spektrum AR8010T that you can S Bus with, hopefully that'll work.
      The foam quality is good, not great but good so out with the Varathane to put some shine on her!!

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
        Meanwhile, I'm struggling through the Aura 8 setup, they told me I wouldn't have to reverse anything, everything needed reversing and I can't seem to get the flaps to work right, on goes up the other goes down even though they state you don't have to you a servo reverser. Crazy!!
        Grossman56
        Like you, I couldn't deal with the Aura 8 in my FlexJet. Those who understand it say they love it, it's the only way to go and it's easy to work with. They think anybody can do it. I guess I'm just not "anybody". If it didn't add so much to the cost of the plane, I'd have put it into one of my "drop planes" (ones with a cargo bay door that opens) and dumped that thing into the forest. I replaced mine with a "standard" receiver and gyro. Hoping to one day give the 8 to someone who wants to give it a try (and who has no hair since they won't have any by the time they finish with it).

Comment

Well, as near as I can figure, it has to be run with 'modern digital receiver' where you can 'S bus" the system to the Aura 8. I ordered a Specktrum 8010t, which is one of the receivers the manual recommends and I can do the S bus connection with it. Then, all the plug assignments change on the Aura 8 so that the flaps work off it. Otherwise, the flaps go straight to the receiver in a 'conventional' setup which begs the question,"how do the flaps operate with the ailerons in 3D mode if they're not running through the Aura 8?
          Anyway, if I can't get it to work, I'll be on the phone with someone who does. I'm sure Ryan or Tony will know or if worse comes to worse, I'll phone Flex Innovations. Seems strange to me that no one else has mentioned having any problem setting this up. I was thinking it would be like the A3L. Unfortunately not.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

I actually ran mine FlexJet originally with a standard RX (Lemon DSMX) as the instructions allowed for that. It did say, however, that the ideal option was to use a "serial RX", which I didn't want to buy at the time. The plane did work OK but I wanted to have flaperons and the Aura 8 totally confused me when it came to that. You gotta wonder why their "Wiki" for the Aura 8 is reams and reams of pages long. I just want to fly, not get an computer science degree first.

Comment

I hear you, I just dropped a note to FI to see if they can offer any assistance, also suggested the Pilot Ryan give some guidance on the Live Podcast, anything would be better than the manual.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Meanwhile, since its snowing and there's nothing better to do, out with the Spar Varathane and the paint! The pilot is made of foam and comes white with some funky decal over the visor, that soon changed, here's the results. It was a good time as I had Pilot Ryan on the PC in the background talking about Smart Batteries.

Name:	IMG_4849.JPG
Views:	1779
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	235656Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4851.JPG
Views:	1904
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	235657Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4852.JPG
Views:	2089
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	235658Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4854.JPG
Views:	1679
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	235659Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4856.JPG
Views:	1822
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	235660
                She looks so much better now that she's nice and shiny and with a real looking pilot the airplane takes on a whole new look!!

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Looking good Gman!

Comment

Thanks Boomer, now, to figure out how to CG this thing without having to buy something like expensive scales or whatnot. Paging Mr. Brown, paging Mr. Brown...

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                      Thanks Boomer, now, to figure out how to CG this thing without having to buy something like expensive scales or whatnot. Paging Mr. Brown, paging Mr. Brown...

Grossman56
                      Answered your PM
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Looks good Dan! For bigger birds, my "go to" method is a DIY Vanessa CG rig. Mine even has a fish scale built in.

Comment

Thanks CB!!
                          Well, got the Spektrum AR 8010t yesterday and hooked it up lastnight. Went back in and checked all my radio settings to make sure they were what the manual called for, bound the receiver then plugged it into the Aura 8 as per instructions

Name:	Aura 8 to AR8010t.PNG
Views:	1533
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	236133Click image for larger version

Name:	Aura 8 connections.PNG
Views:	1431
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	236134
                          S1-S8 being the outputs to the servos and the SRXL being like the S Bus for a Futaba. Seems too easy to believe, but , to quote a certain politician, "Son of a B***H" it worked!!
                          Tonight I'm going to use the laptop to tap into the thing and see where all the settings are, it seems, at least for me, that it could use a bit more expo. It would seem that its much easier to go with a recommended receiver than to believe the hype about any servo working. Maybe they will, but seems much more hassle free to just go this route.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Not to harp on the subject of Aura or no Aura, it's always easier and simpler to use an SBus set-up whether it's Spektrum or Futaba. The advantage of Spektrum is that you can use remote receivers, but in this case a regular receiver is recommended as Grossman found out. I fly Futaba so I always use a S Bus receiver. Going with a non S Bus receiver means you have to use a PWM set-up and I can assure you that is a pain. You also can lose some functions since you can run out of ports. I now understand Xviper frustration with the Aura and his FlexJet. Setting up flaperons is not possible with it's programming. I know because I had discussions with the developers. Spektrum programming is not able to do it, Futaba can be done but it would take a whole new program to do it. Grossman56, enjoy the heck out of the RV-8. It's a great flier and I love the way it will just float around with the flaps down. I have maidened a few of them for fellow fliers and helped them with the set-up. I have the Cessna and love that but the RV-8 will be my next purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosytime View Post
                              Setting up flaperons is not possible with it's programming.
                              Now, you tell me. The last few flights on my FlexJet I've enjoyed it a lot more than when the Aura 8 was onboard. Flaperons is a great addition to the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosytime View Post
                                Not to harp on the subject of Aura or no Aura, it's always easier and simpler to use an SBus set-up whether it's Spektrum or Futaba. The advantage of Spektrum is that you can use remote receivers, but in this case a regular receiver is recommended as Grossman found out. I fly Futaba so I always use a S Bus receiver. Going with a non S Bus receiver means you have to use a PWM set-up and I can assure you that is a pain. You also can lose some functions since you can run out of ports. I now understand Xviper frustration with the Aura and his FlexJet. Setting up flaperons is not possible with it's programming. I know because I had discussions with the developers. Spektrum programming is not able to do it, Futaba can be done but it would take a whole new program to do it. Grossman56, enjoy the heck out of the RV-8. It's a great flier and I love the way it will just float around with the flaps down. I have maidened a few of them for fellow fliers and helped them with the set-up. I have the Cessna and love that but the RV-8 will be my next purchase.
                                Thanks Rosytime!
                                Can you tell me where you guys are placing the battery in the RV-8? I'll be using a 5000 and some 4500's and short of spending more (which I would have to justify to she who exceeds my rank) I was hoping to get some input from those who already have or at least have experience with this airplane. Thanks in advance!!
                                Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

If I see one of the pilots with it I'll let you know. It has a pretty wide range of CG and I would say start with what the instructions say and go from there. Just remember to mark where the 5000 and the 4500 go since they might weigh different.

Comment

I appreciate that, I don't have a CG machine big enough to handle this plane so if I can get an idea of where they are placing their battery and what size they're using, I can figure it from there.
                                    Thank in advance

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

I just use the the old finger under the wing after marking the CG on it. It's also easier to flip the plane over and do it that way.

Comment

The Vanessa rig is easy to make , store and use. And it's accurate. I've used mine on planes from 5 lbs to over 70 lbs. It costs about $10 to make. $15 if you add a scale, which is optional.

Comment

Working...
                                        X