Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rimfires are good motors. One thing to keep in mind is that they tend to run at a higher kv than other motors in the same class. Higher kv = smaller prop diameter and pitch.

Comment

The 65cc rimfire is 160kv and can swing up to a 26 inch prop. From what I checked today, it looks like the 65cc rimfire will fit fine. There is ample room for 2 6000ma lipos to move fwd or back to get cg right.

Comment

I'm running a 160kv motor with 26x10 prop on my Black Horse Gilmore as well.

It's cowl is 15" in diameter, so wanted a little more prop. You likely don't need that much on the Zero.

I'm running 2x 6S 8000mah lipos as it needed nose weight. Not being a fan of carrying lead around in the sky, I opted for more flight time.

Looking forward to seeing how you set the Zero up..

Comment

I would definitely use the 65CC . I don’t think you have to mount the packs on the nose because of the extended distance from leading edge to the prop .
          If you do need added weight, you can use stand offs and the add the Lipos from a simple hatch !
          Example shown on my CMP Zero
          Attached Files

Comment

New information from germanny: We can fly this weekend with some regulate requirements. 🤩

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4548.JPG
Views:	1296
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	253976
            (My 3 year old son helps me to towing the glider 😂)

I haven't glued my tail cone on. I wait for the balance. Thank you for the hint. Engine and cowl assembly finished. Im am testing some positions for the elektric components. I will use two LiFe battery packs to geht some wight under the ruder servo.
            Next i make the wiring clean and properly and let the engine run the first time in his final place.

Name:	IMG_4557.JPG
Views:	1362
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	253977Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4552.JPG
Views:	1330
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	253980Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4555.JPG
Views:	1376
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	253979Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4556.JPG
Views:	1347
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	253978

Viele Grüße
            Dennis

Comment

Dennis, beautiful set up ! That engine will surely sound incredible.

Comment

I finally got to test fly yesterday. A bit windy but it flew well. The CG is per the device they give you, might be a mm or two aft as it hangs slightly tail down. It is very docile and safe there. I wouldn't go further fwd as it is a bit light on the tail wheel and will be more prone to tipping over. The gear is in a good position for me. Might need to shim to tilt the gear forward if you have a soft grass field. Didn't need to trim elevator. A little right aileron needed. Tended to stall to the right, but did stall when expected. Takeoff, a little rudder needed for torque.
                Landings were fine, due to the wind I used half flap, a bit of power down to flare height, throttle off and let it settle on. Looking forward to flying it again.

Whether you go electric or gas you'll like it. The flight is early in this video.

Comment

Very nice flight. Congratulations!

I like the kangaroo. 😂

You mean the default CG is ok and leave it were it is?
                  What was the max RPM with the 23x10 3-Blade Prop with the FG-90R3 in flight?

In the video i see you have install the petrol tank far ahead from the CG. Maybe front heavy at start und a litle tail havy on empty petrol tank on landing?

I can´t order the servos. Not in the shop inventory in germany. I do some embellishments....

Viele Grüße
                  Dennis

Comment

You can look at the Turnigy 50cc motor from Hobbyking. I have had great results with this electric motor and sells for a great price. I run it on 12s with a 22x14 prop.

Comment

Hi Dennis, default CG is good, especially as a safe starting point and with tank empty in that position. In time I'll experiment with moving the CG back.
                      I don't know the max RPM in flight, I don't have telemetry setup on it yet. I wasn't pushing it, maybe 90% available power was the most I used, it flew fine at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. The engine didn't seem hot at all after landing.
                      I put the tank where the instructions indicated, it isn't an aerobat and most of my warbird models have no easy way of getting the tank on the CG, so it isn't unusual there. I fly some big aerotow tugs with big tanks even further fwd and don't really notice it for that kind of flying. That's one of the advantages of electric power and gliders though, CG and weight doesn't change.

Comment

SirAbuse I agree with bananaman , the factory-recommended CG is a safe starting point. That's where I flew it, and eventually ended up moving back another 20mm. Probably could have gone further aft, but didn't have time to truly suss out a good spot for my kind of flying.

​​​​​​​Suffice to say, the starting CG is safe and doesn't exhibit any fatal tendencies.
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

The thing I hate about BH, Phoenix, Seagull models is the way they stretch the nose way out of scale on most of their ships. Once you see it, it can't be unseen!

Comment

Purchased 2 each Black Horse Zeros 93" ones. I'm having trouble getting the retract controller to work properly and don't want to fry it.
                            Has anyone had experience here? Main issue is between the RX and the controller. Polarity seems off.

Comment

I have no problem with the landing gear.

2S Lipo 1200mAh and a two way switch from the futaba radio.

It seems to be a jp hobby electric retractable landing gear controller. For a test you can by a new one or try to use a servo testing device. -100 - + 100. The lights indicates the move of the gear with red or blue light.

Viele Gruße
                              Dennis

Comment

Here are some build updates:

Cowling with sound absorption and some grid in the air intake.

Name:	IMG_4595.JPG
Views:	1151
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	255594

Name:	IMG_4596.JPG
Views:	1101
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	255595

Test run with the engine in the plane is done.

Name:	IMG_4570.JPG
Views:	1145
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	255596

I adjust a 5x temp sensor (PBS-T250) from PowerPox Systemes to runs with futaba telemetry and
                                program the Multiplex WingStabi with SBUS.

Bad luck with the right wing:

Briefly not paying attention and now i have a litle crack on the foil. 😥
                                I cover ist with some japanese flag sticker.

Viele Grüße
                                Dennis

Comment

Hi, do you think a Saito FG-60R3 would be to small for this plane?

Comment

I think yes. Too less power. I have a Hangar 9 RV-4 10,5kg with a Saito FG61 TS. 22x10 2-Blade Prop and i cant fly endless up with it. It looks scale and it is good for slow flying but a Zero must fly fast.

Viele Grüße
                                    Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by bananaman View Post
                                      Queries about a FG60R3 fitting? A 90 fits fine after some mount rework, mostly due Keleo exhaust. Easy 6mm clearance all round.
                                      What mount rework was needed. Can you post some pictures?

Regards
                                      Niklas

Comment

Originally posted by SirAbuse View Post
                                        bananaman Very nice pictures from the plane.

I had to cut the gas mount for the Saito R73R5 too. The mount from the engine is too big for the wood mount from the plane. The wood noses must cut off. Ring muffer has enough space.

On the Saito website is a convertion mount for the FG 60R3 and the FG 73R5. But not to buy here in germany.

But the kit looks very fantastic.

Viele Grüße
                                        Dennis
                                        How would this mount help? Do you have a link?

Regards
                                        Niklas

Comment

Description:

Manual:

You get closer to the firewall. 2,5-3 cm. My 73R5 is 2cm to long for the A6m cowling. Prop and Spinner are stick out too much.

Viele Grüße
                                          Dennis

Comment

Working...
                                          X