X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynam P-61 Black Widow Foamy

This is Papa Boozers first attempt at posting something on the Squawk, so here we go. First things first ,why a Dynam airplane for the very first? It was the one that was in line for one of the Boozers projects. The plane did not disappoint in things that had to be corrected on the assembly or should I say build. The new design has all the servo wires coming up though the center of the wing, but the wires were not labeled. So, I had to use the servo checker to trace what was what, a pain! Second, there was no room for the receiver, cut out large hole where wires all come out for that. Also, guys please check all servo before assembly, they are know not to work! Fit and finish is not the best, things did not go together very easy. Third, main landing gear was installed but, factory left out Allen screws. took Dremel tool and enlarged opening around gear to be able to take gear out to install screws.....another pain. When installing the wing outer half no room for wiring, had to use the Dremel again. It came with water transfer decals....what a pain....most broke apart before I go them on the plane...did not stick well. I am not a fan of water decals! When I was a kid with plastic models, they were crap. With all said, why the Dynam plane? It's the only P-61 foamy on the market, like twins, and a good challenge. I got it with is plane. With all the time spent, I am hoping this plane fly as good a the twin cruiser Dyman has out, it was a pain assembly but, was worth it in the end. So, if you are will to put some time in and have some headaches, go out and purchase a Dynam product. Remember guys what the Boozer say: " You get what you pay for." and " Go out and Fly with you Buddies." Till next time....Papa Boozer/Dots. P.S. Watch for upcoming flight video on this plane on the Merry Boozer Channel and Subscribe. Pictures will be added later..

Papa Boozer/Dots Hello and welcome to the Squawk.
    Us long standing members of this forum really appreciate the numbers of new members arriving and wanting to contribute
    Since it appears from your post that you are pretty much unaware of the history behind this particular airframe with Motion,
    I'll give ya a couple links to read up on so as to give you some insight so that you won't become disappointed if you don't see as
    much of a positive response that you might have expected.
    https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...61-black-widow
    https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...-is-dynam-dead

Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Top job on the Widow, Dots! I really like the detail work you put in to it. I don't have one myself (yet), but all flight reports I have seen have been very positive. Dynam does make great flying airframes. It is just their assembly and quality control process that stinks. Oh, and I'm not a fan of their business practices either.

Comment

Great review papa

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Papa Dots! Your rivet work looks especially great on this P-61 to give texture amid all that black. I really like it!

Double check your setup and your maiden should go well. Let us know! I believe there are a couple guys on Squawk still flying theirs, hopefully they chime in here as well with their tips and experiences.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks Alpha...Papa hopes that something he does helps another person to enjoy this hobby a little more. If so, I am pleased. Wes and I do appreciate your friendship. Keep believing in what you are doing because your hard work brings joy to so many.

Comment

I got one of the early production Dynam P-61's and spent many weeks replacing nearly everything, and repainting. New motors, retracts, ESC's... Details included a correct top turret (non-rotating gun fairing, actually) and simulated translucent fiberglass radar nose enclosure. Nose shortened to make it an "A" model. Markings are for "Moonlight Mickey" which downed two Betty bombers.

As hoped, it proved to be a terrific flyer, especially with upgraded motors to give it "warbird umph". My father did one "stock" at the same time, so it was easy to compare.

The Black Widow is one of my favorite planes... oh, to have a foamie 1700mm version...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210.JPG
Views:	1121
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	249129Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.JPG
Views:	1010
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	249130Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1202.JPG
Views:	947
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	249131

Comment

Papa, I love your rivet detail, it really makes a nice impression from a few feet away - I mean that pic looks terrific. Thanks for your review!

The issues you noted during construction are fairly typical, as OV10 said, but just like you I enjoyed the challenge of making everything right - especially because this is such a terrific model. Couple of other things to note:
                • Black foamies don't do well in the sun - I coated mine with a satin clear-coat (water-based polyurethane) to protect it and seal the decals. (I used Callie Graphic decals and threw out the water-slide ones)
                • The nose-gear mount is very weak. I epoxied in some hardwood rails for the retract unit to sit on. I also replaced all the race-car wheels with scale wheels.
                • The retracts don't work in cold weather. (so, meh, I fly this one when its warmer)
                • The tail booms flex a lot, so I added CF tubes on the bottom (sunk them in the foam) to reinforce the booms.
                • I modified the 50-cal turret so the guns were in a more realistic (and totally badass) stance.
                • I moved the pilot back, and painted the prop tips yellow.
                • I added some weight inside the nose cone, because the model was tail-heavy. (There are lead weights inside the tail fins but I couldn't find them)

The elevator is relatively sensitive, so keep the control throw down and use expo. I think mine flies great and I love the way it looks!

"Lady in the Dark" was a real P61 and had the last confirmed air-to-air kill of WWII.
                PS Alpha: MrSmoothie and I are still waiting for Fliteline's 1700mm version!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190104_200023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.3 KB ID:	249138
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Smoothie and Duck....Guys thanks so much for the warm welcome...P-61 is also one of my favorite aircraft of WW2. I also agree that a 1700mm would be a sweet model. I have sprayed the black plane with a coating, per your suggestion. This is my first model to do this with and I think the right one. I also like the idea to upgrading the wheels, beefing up the areas that are weak, all very good suggestions. Both birds are very impressive on the amount of time put into a model that needs it. I do not agree with Mr. OV-10 that I would not get a response from my post. Thanks for making him wrong. You two I hope come by the Merry Boozer Channel, you guys are people we make the show for. Fair skies and soft landings...Papa Boozer

Comment

MrSmoothie that paint job is fantastic!!! I love the streaks on the wings that adds so much to the model. Also I see you did a clear canopy on the nose did you make that or is it an illusion with paint. Fantastic job guys all around love seeing these custom birds.

Comment

Working...
                    X