Clear All

• Official Nexa 2020mm F8F Bearcat (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Nexa 2020mm (79.5") wingspan F8F Bearcat - Balsa ARF
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mastera.jpg
Views:	4565
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	253616

Product Availability: The estimated time of arrival (ETA) for this product is late-May, 2020. Please click the "Notify Me When Back In Stock" button above to receive an email notification when the product is available for purchase.

The Grumman F8F Bearcat was a single-engine American fighter aircraft introduced in late World War II. It went on to serve into the mid-20th century in the United States Navy, the United States Marine Corps, and the air forces of other nations. It would be Grumman Aircraft's final piston engined fighter aircraft. Modified versions have broken speed records for piston-engined aircraft, and are popular among warbird owners.

We are proud to announce Nexa, Motion RC's in-house Balsa-specific brand that will showcase customer-favorites and new, never-before-seen models in various balsa formats and a wide range of sizes and price points.

The Nexa F8F Bearcat is a .33 size electric or gas option scale series warbird with a 2020mm wingspan, constructed primarily from balsa wood and covered with a fuel-resistant covering. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes electric retracts and struts, two piece wing with aluminum wing joiner, flaps, operational gear doors, painted pilot and pre-hinged and installed control surfaces. The large battery hatch affords ample room for either electric or gas setups. An absolute classic at any airfield.
    Fully Covered and Detailed

The Nexa 2020mm wingspan F8F Bearcat comes fully covered with printed panel lines and rivet detail.
    Scale Fidelity

The classic lines of the F8F Bearcat are faithfully represented, as well as additional details including a painted pilot, operational gear doors, functioning flaps, and a cosmetic radial engine cover.
    Prehinged and Installed Control Surfaces

All control surfaces come out of the box fully pre-hinged for your convenience.
    Operational Gear Doors

The Nexa F8F Bearcat comes with operational gear doors that can be servo-activated (servos not included) to enhance the overall scale appeal.
    FEATURES:
    • Bold and attractive US Navy blue livery
    • Electric retracts and struts included
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Two piece wing with aluminum wing joiners for easy transport
    • Operational gear doors that can be activated by servo (servos not included)
    • Functional flaps for shorter takeoffs and slower landings
    • Replica dummy radial for increased scale appeal
    • Covered from tip to tail in scale details including painted pilot and nicely detailed cockpit
    • Fiberglass cowling for strength and durability
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    INCLUDES:
    • Nexa F8F Bearcat 2020mm (79.5") Wingspan - ARF
    • Wheels, wheel covers
    • Electric retracts and struts
    • Fuel tank, hardware and decals
    REQUIRES:GAS REQUIRES:Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

At 2020mm (79.5") wingspan and ~1/5.4 scale, this is a big but manageable bird that is an excellent size for either electric (12s) or gas power (30cc). Corsair nut recently posted videos on his YouTube channel of his on gas power. I haven't flown it on electric, but have flown it on a DLE 35-RA which seemed more than adequate for my kind of flying.

I have yet to see a Bearcat model that replicates the full size's awkward knuckle strut, but the Nexa Bearcat's wide stance is practical for everyday RC and is plenty stable. It ground handles like a P-47, which is a good thing. I was never worried about tipping over, as I would be with a Spitfire or Bf-109.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	253619Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.7 KB ID:	253620

Comment

OMG 😱 that is beautiful!!! Just looking threw the new birds some of these are extremely affordable. The Bearcat looks amazing love how the panel lines are printed on the covering on these new models Motionrc strikes again and empty’s hobby guys bank accounts everywhere lol

Comment

!
        Glad to see Motion perpetuated these great models !
        I just bought a Rimfire 50CC for mine and will be building a battery box on the nose to hold 2c 6 cells !
        The original Legends Model, VQ release needed close to 3 lbs to achieve CG with a DLE 35 !

Comment

Originally posted by Joehockey View Post
          Love Motion , HobbySquawk and the plane but ,,,,,,, never before seen ??? Its the Legends /VQ now Nexa new release !
          You may want to reread the first post!!!
          Especially the third paragraph.
          Here....
          We are proud to announce Nexa, Motion RC's in-house Balsa-specific brand that will showcase customer- favourites AND NEW, never-before-seen models in various balsa formats and a wide range of sizes and price points.
          LURCH

Comment

Thanks Lurch , I went back and erased my post with the wrong info ! Sorry Motion :) !

Comment

I have been flying mine for a couple of years and it is my favorite warbird. I'm using a Saito 60 radial.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                I have yet to see a Bearcat model that replicates the full size's awkward knuckle strut.......
                Sierra makes that gear for the big Jerry Bates-designed F8F, and it is magnificent. It also costs more than this equally-gorgeous Bearcat

Comment

Nice bearcat, I have one of those that's heavily modified with a radial! Just curious, why re-brand VQ instead of becoming a distributor?

Comment

Heres what the VQ bearcat looks after a couple hundred hours worth of mods lol. The vq f8f is a wonderful flying model
                    Attached Files

Comment

Corsair nut , was the covering painted over or removed and glassed ? We all know the original VQ covering is very difficult to remove
                      Also new price from Motion reflects an aprox 26% change . update with VQ , the shipping was total $627.85 not sure what such a large jump in cost.
                      Shipping from VQ is about $79, $89 avg
                      I was fortunate to purchase mine back in the $499 days with shipping included !

Comment

Stripped. Ultracote because the model is covered in lightning holes and i didnt feel like re sheeting it. I would have rather glassed and painted but oh well

Comment

I believe the price difference is in the fact that the Nexa offering comes WITH the electric retracts and the VQ didn't?

Comment

Nope mine as well as all VQ Bearcats had retracts when we purchased !

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                              At 2020mm (79.5") wingspan and ~1/5.4 scale, this is a big but manageable bird that is an excellent size for either electric (12s) or gas power (30cc). Corsair nut recently posted videos on his YouTube channel of his on gas power. I haven't flown it on electric, but have flown it on a DLE 35-RA which seemed more than adequate for my kind of flying.

I have yet to see a Bearcat model that replicates the full size's awkward knuckle strut, but the Nexa Bearcat's wide stance is practical for everyday RC and is plenty stable. It ground handles like a P-47, which is a good thing. I was never worried about tipping over, as I would be with a Spitfire or Bf-109.
                              Click image for larger version Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	253619Click image for larger version Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.7 KB ID:	253620
                              Hey Alpha,
                              Is that you? You are famously camera shy ;)

Good looking model and thank you for constantly improving the Motion envelope.

Comment

Davy101 No, that's not me, although he did authorize us to show his photo. We are very respectful when it comes to showing only those who prefer to be shown, especially with certain cultures. I prefer to keep it about the Models, not me.

For all that I do for this global hobby publicly 100+ hours a week, I draw a hard line to protect some semblance of my own privacy.

I'll die a happy man if I can do so in obscurity!

Comment

Was wondering about engine choices? I saw a DLE 35 mentioned, a Saito, and the recommended NGH 38cc. I was wondering what the largest gas 2 stroke would fit, or any other recommendations.

Comment

On engine choices, there is a lot of discussion on the ( other website ) when this plane was introduced. As an electric guy I can tell you what I have read in the gas forum and what I would do if I was you ! The original test model in the other thread was flown with DLE 35 and then 3.5 lbs of nose weight !!!!!! WOW !!
                                    So, the build said “ no worries flys great with the weight” . So its a matter of choice, it you like dead weight use the DLE 35, if you like functional weight use the DLE 55.
                                    Other options -purchase custom motor mounts ( super simple to do ) and move the DLE 35 as far forward as possible in the cowl !
                                    On epower, I am using a Rimfire 50cc equivalent motor and will have 12s ( 2x6 cell packs ) on the nose !

Also please take note , on the original Bearcat all of the servos mounts in the wing must must must be reinforced !
                                    The original test model failed in this area , fatal crash and replaced by the original distributor -Legends Models !
                                    Its a basic fix , no big deal just reinforce the area.

In addition ,on the original retracts the electrical unit is very sturdy but the stock pins are not !
                                    Again video shown on the maiden of how easily the pin can bend. Also an easy fix, remove the pin and replace with a HD style pin or drill bit

Comment

Thanks Joe. I noticed EME has a 35cc engine with electric start. Between the starter and starter battery that might be enough weight. Also electric start adds a cool factor. I don't know much about EME engines though, but I'm willing to bet electric start is problematic.

Comment

I asked about this exact engine in another thread. I received nothing but positive feedback that the set up is very reliable. I have torn ligaments in my hands from early years in hockey so I went to epower about 5 years ago . The torque of the electric hand starters on my wrist was brutal so epower was a great solution.
                                        I am working on my Giant Scale CMP bash and then I am getting right to the Bearcat !
                                        Looking forward to hopefully having the “lightest Bearcat” flying lol , if I have my way with functional weight !

Comment

Working...
                                        X