X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Nexa L-19 Bird Dog 1720mm ARF Discussion Thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	nexa-l-19-bird-dog-grey-1720mm-67-8-wingspan-arf-motion-rc-34153902178489.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	364090

Click image for larger version  Name:	copy-of-nexa-l-19-bird-dog-olive-1720mm-67-8-wingspan-arf-motion-rc-34153947267257.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.8 KB ID:	364091

The L-19 Bird Dog is a liaison and observation aircraft and was the first all-metal fixed-wing aircraft in the United States Army. The name was chosen because it's role was to find the enemy and orbit overhead until artillery or attack planes could be brought to bear. While flying low to the battlefield, the pilot would observe the attack and radio for adjustments, in the manner of a bird dog used by game hunters. The Bird Dog had a lengthy military career in the U.S. and other countries.

The brand new Nexa L-19 Bird Dog was recently developed and now available for the first time. This Nexa L-19 can be built with either electric or gas power and has a large hatch for easy access to either. This L-19 is absolutely full of exceptional scale details such as a working pilot door. Our words cannot do this plane justice. This L-19 would make a great addition to any hangar.

Features:
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Covered from tip to tail in scale details
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    Includes:
    • Nexa L-19 Bird Dog Grey 1720mm (67.8") Wingspan - ARF
    • Landing gear and wheels
    Requires:Gas Requires:Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).

Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL : 14 and up
    SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
    BUILD TIME : 6+ Hours
    Model Scale 1/6.5
    Wingspan 1720mm / 67.8in
    Length 1190mm /46.9in
    Weight 3600g / 126.98oz
    CG (Center of Gravity) 68mm from the leading edge of the wing's root
    Power System 400Kv or equivalent brushless outrunner motor for electric or 2-stroke for gas (required)
    Electronic Speed Control 70A (required)
    Propeller / EDF 13x8 2-blade for electric or 12x6 2-blade for gas (required)
    Servos
    • 45g standard servos: left aileron, right aileron, left elevator, right, elevator, rudder - HRC6005-017
    • 17g standard servos: left flap, right flap - HRC6005-022
    Landing Gear Fixed (included)
    Required Battery 4 Cell 14.8V 4500 - 5000mAh LiPo batteries (required)
    Required Radio 6+ Channel (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights No
    Hinge Type Nylon
    Material Balsa and light plywood
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 6+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors

I just got my O.D. Bird Dog today, and I'm very impressed with the amount of detail, and the build quality of this plane.
    Some of the Nexa plane have lines that are a little off. Sometimes it's hard to put your finger on whether the nose is a little too thin, or the gear too short, but to my eye they nailed the shape of this one!

Comment

Anyone have a photo of the battery hatch, and how easy is it to change out packs?

Comment

Just ordered the gray Air Force one. Just like the full size I used to own.

Comment

My old Bird Dog
          Attached Files

Comment

The recommended motor ( admiral GP10 5030-400kv is not in ecalc program so I can’t run the performance specs. Using another motor with a 410kv rating and 13-8 on 4s only yields a prop speed of 42 mph. That doesn’t seem right to me. Does anyone have a specs on the Admiral motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Smith View Post
              Anyone have a photo of the battery hatch, and how easy is it to change out packs?
              The windscreen is held in place with magnets. When it is lifted straight up, there is plenty of room to changed batteries...and when I say batteries, I mean you can load two batteries if you want.
              One straps in behind the firewall, and has to be there for CG purposes. An optional 2nd battery can be placed in a recessed spot under the pilots seat. It is a perfect fit for the Liperior 3300mAh 4S batteries I plan to use. The 2nd battery's well is almost perfectly centered on the CG, so other than changing the AUW, carrying it shouldn't shift the CG.
              BTW...the pilot comes complete with legs, but you have to cut them off to accomodate the battery.

Comment

First off, I'd like to say the scale details are impressive. However, the tail wheel is completely useless (crappy bent wire thing), and the front landing gear is too flimsy for the weight of the model. Any suggestions for replacement part/s that could be used instead for the tail wheel and the front aluminum landing gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird51 View Post
                  Just ordered the gray Air Force one. Just like the full size I used to own.
                  Just like the one we had in the CAP. Why I ordered the USAF version. Just need some decals that say CAP

Comment

Anybody think a Saito FG-14 would be a good match?

Comment

Who, besides Doug, is building this plane? What electric are you using? CG with single battery under seat? I'm thinking either a Power 52 or 60, maybe a Himax 5030-390 using 4s-5000 packs. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

How do you determine the correct thrust angle for the electric motor

Comment

I just purchased and received the Nexa L19. This will be setup with electric power, which is my first electric plane. My other planes are all glow. The ARF looks great! I had two loose pieces in the fuse when I opened the box, but both pieces are easily repairable. I'm putting together my buy list and, given my newness to electrics, I'm a bit confused about motor and battery selection.

I will be running a Spektrum battery, so I can use my Spektrum charger I already have. Specifically, I'm thinking of pairing the recommended motor (Admiral G10, 5030/400kv) with the Avian 80 Amp Brushless Smart ESC, 3S-8S (Item No.SPMXNo.SPMXAE108) and the following Spektrum battery: Spektrum 14.8V 5000mAh 4S 50C Smart Hardcase LiPo Battery: IC5, SPMX50004S50H5 ($99).

The above setup should allow me to use the onboard Telemetry on my TX (Spektrum NX8) and allow for use of Spektrum batteries. My research shows that I will have to convert motor bullet connectors on the Admiral G10 to 4mm in order to connect to Avian ESC, which accepts 4mm connectors.

Any feedback on my intended setup would be great. Like I mentioned, I'm new to electrics, so it's all guesswork at this point.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Just finished up my L-19 and I noticed several problems. The motor specified kv rating is 400kv which shows a prop speed of 42 mph. Which seems low. I haven’t seen any flight reports with this motor installed. The other thing I found is that the wing strut attach holes are too far out which the fuselage strut attach point is incorrect. When I balanced the model she needed 8 oz of weight. So I modified the motor mounts to move the battery forward into the dead space between the firewall and motor mount. Now I only had to add 4 oz to balance. The motor I used used (Bad Ass 3530-700kv) touches the cowl beneath the motor for which had to be clearanced out so the motor won’t rub. Maiden flight is this weekend.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Eager to hear how it goes! I've had my eye on this one for a little while. It looks great in the sun!

Comment

We test flew both Bird Dogs and didn’t have the outcome we hoped for. Both models are very squirrelly on the ground. The tracking sucks on smooth surface. The first in took 4 or 5 tries to get airborne. Mine was just the same but the result was a stall on take off as the p-factor took it hard left. Had to try to horse it off and it snapped to the right. Took the nose off. We put some toe in on the first one with no improvement. Finally tried to get the tail up immediately and had much better results for take off. Otherwise it flies fine once you can get it in the air! I am going to take my gear and shorten it 1” and put it on the other one to see if that will help.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Ah crap, sorry to hear. I hope you get it sorted. I wonder if different wheels would help?

Comment

No, it’s not the wheels. We believe the gear is too tall. When you have a tall gear, the p-factor is much more pronounced when sitting in a 3-point attitude. Once the tail cones up, it’s much better. I going to rework the gear off the wrecked one to shorten the gear by 1 inch. It should improve the handling. We will see if any improvement this weekend

Comment

Bummer, sorry for the mishap. I'll be interested to see if the shortened landing gear helps. Now, I'm not so eager to get this arf finished. I appreciate you sharing the ups and downs of this plane. Here's the build list I'll be using, notwithstanding any gear changes related to ground handling:
                                        • Power 52 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 590Kv, 4mm Bullet
                                        • Avian 80 Amp Brushless Smart ESC, 3S-8S
                                        • Hitec D-645MW High Voltage High Torque Digital Metal Gear Servo Airplane Multi-Pack (4 Servos)
                                        • Hitec HS-82MG Metal Gear Micro Servo Airplane Multi-Pack (2 Servos)
                                        • Electric Prop: 4S: 14 x 7 ​

Comment

Working...
                                        X