X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Byron Originals, Ryan STA Build and conversion to electric

Picked this up a few weeks ago. After buying the F100, I resolved not to buy anymore airplanes. (I have sold or given away 6 flying models this year) I was looking forward to finishing a ‘give away’ plane so I would have the space to begin the F100. (You know the other thread I resurrected) when a close friend tagged me in a post on FB, local guy with the Ryan needed to sell it. Partially built by a known builder in our circle, all of the parts are there, it’s just not in the original box. I had just responded with a reluctant “nope” when the ‘Operations Director’ (aka, my better half) said “…is it one you really want?” I showed her some of the materials about the Byron Models from Iowa ( very close by my father’s parents in Storm Lake) and the one NIB listed for $1200.
    She says “you need to see it before deciding. Go look at it and buy if you think it’s what you want”

I thought I would have puppies right on the spot…and I got it for less than half of the prime listing I would have been required to ship from Sausalito.
    Got a Lanzo Bomber (another give away / raffle) to finish as the F100 also is getting underway, and then the new Ryan will move to the build table.

With a Balsa USA 1/4 Sopwith Pup to follow, I’m hoping to start my retirement next year in a proper fashion.
    Attached Files

Very nice! Good luck on the build.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
      .....She says “you need to see it before deciding. Go look at it and buy if you think it’s what you want”.....
      Well that pretty well covers it.
      Presume you've picked out B-day, Mother's Day, and next Christmas Day gifts, already.

Looking forward to seeing further progress. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

LB…

Comment

It’s on the way:

Comment

Good choice. I've found DualSky motors to be quite well made and efficient.

Comment

Man we got to get the Byrons together!

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                Man we got to get the Byrons together!
                And the F100’s!

Comment

Wow, regular shipping and 7 days - no complaints there. Click image for larger version

Name:	94555F4C-63FB-4495-903F-4F14C12DEA24.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	372814

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
                    And the F100’s!
                    Yes! Absolutely

Comment

Nearing the finish on building and approaching the wing covering. Tail surfaces were easy and learned some new characteristics of my chosen material. Had good results with SIG Koverall over balsa applied with Minwax Polycryllic, and styrofoam is even better. The Byron kit came with older foam, not the tough stuff we’ve gotten used to now. What I discovered is that edges are a cinch with a trim sealing iron to overlap and it does shrink with it. Heat gun stretches it taught and bubbles just disappear. The wings have been slow process as no CA get near this foam, epoxy is OK but Titebond and soft clamps are definitely easier but slow to dry. Since it all gets wrapped with Koverall it was an easy choice to stick with aliphatic glue on the balsa and foam, but fiberglass and shell got the 2 part epoxy. Quite a thrill assembling this ‘old school’ technology but taking some liberties with newer tech when able. The tail wheel came from Hangar 9 Oscar, as the Byron offset design was short on the axle portion.

Comment

Working...
                      X