Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 64mm High Performance Stinger Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
    Welcome to Hobby Squawk rcflyer23! Congrats on the Stinger. It is a great flyer if you've got a good deal of experience. It's a quick little bird and can get "small" really fast if you let it get too far away from you. The throws in the manual are pretty good. Do dial the ailerons down quite a bit. They are VERY effective. Good luck with you maiden.

Well, I did get to maiden it. Unfortunately, I either had a brownout or some kind of other failure and she went in nose first at a pretty good clip.
    Thankfully it is nothing some steam, boiling water and glue can't fix. She may not be as pretty now but she'll still fly. Gotta give it to that foam it is pretty resilient. I agree while it was flying I was super impressed by the airplane. I'll have her flying soon enough.

Comment

I use a Lemon stabilized receiver in mine with the gyro turned on at launch, or else it will torque roll to the left. I fly mine with Admiral 2200 4s packs. Most of the decals on mine have peeled off. Great little flyer, speedy as heck, really fun to fly! When this one augers in, I will for sure get another!

Comment

Woody218, I have about 30 flights on my Stinger, No Landing gear,( grass field) Using Admiral 2200 4s packs as well, Using a Spectrum DX6 with a Ar400 receiver, I spool it up about 80% throttle, give it a underhand toss at about 45 degrees up, and Away we go.Takes off straight and flat, I don't know why yours wants to roll to the left, Unless something is not lined up right with the motor assembly, Or something else, I had a Lemon gyro in mine on maiden flight, Then took it out as it did not need it. As far as the decals peeling off, Before I fly any plane, I airbrush them with Minwax Polycrylic, I used Semi-gloss on this plane. If you don't have a airbrush, You can use a 1 inch sponge brush, use as light a coat as possible, then use 2 coats. BTW, This is what I use for High and low rate settings for mine: Low rates: Aileron-60%, Expo-40%, Elevator-65%, Expo-40%, Rudder- 100%,Expo 0%. High Rates: Aileron-80%, Expo-35%, Elevator-80%, Expo-35%, Rudder-100%, Expo-0%. My Stinger flies perfect at these settings, And do Not use a 3s battery in this plane, I ran out of 4s one day, put a 2200 3s in it just to fly one more time, Nope,, Not enough thrust, veered in a nice wide arc into the field, and broke the nose off, Re-glued, and we fly again, But I like this plane So much, I ordered a spare, To have in stock, So far it is Still in the box, So I hope you get your torque roll problem figured out, As this is a Great little plane. Good luck!

Comment

Really like mine too ! Rips fast as heck once its up and rolling . I can get mine airborne off short grass on wheels but it sure does like a good head wind . 2200 admiral pro 4s stuffed in the battery box . It started out as a 3s but changed out the fan and esc
          Attached Files

Comment

What is the ESC for this plane?

Manual does not say anything. Throttle was reversed so it went to program mode and am not sure what changes took effect during that time period.

And would like to know which make, model ESC or if anyone has a link the manual.

thank you

Comment

Hi

I am looking to get the high performance 64mm 4s stinger. The question I have is I have a few 4s 1350mah packs laying around from quad racing that need put too use. How hard will it be to obtain the CG for this and what should I get for flight times with not WOT flying too ?

Thank
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by baddley View Post
                Hi

I am looking to get the high performance 64mm 4s stinger. The question I have is I have a few 4s 1350mah packs laying around from quad racing that need put too use. How hard will it be to obtain the CG for this and what should I get for flight times with not WOT flying too ?

Thank
                Scott
                i've flown mine with a 1600 4s , get about 3 mins. no problem

Comment

Just ordered the 4s Stinger, does this model use a cheater hole? Couldn’t tell from the website and I hate cheater holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachsideflyer View Post
                    Just ordered the 4s Stinger, does this model use a cheater hole? Couldn’t tell from the website and I hate cheater holes.
                    No , straight up dude ....

Comment

Will 3300 mah 4c battery fit in this plane?

Comment

Originally posted by becevit View Post
                        Sounds fat to me , maybe others will chime in

Comment

By "4c" I assume you mean "4s". No, a 4s 14.8V 3300mAh Lipo battery will not CG in our Freewing 64mm Stinger 64. That's far more than it was designed to fly. Even if you could somehow get it to physically fit and meet CG, the wing loading would be high and you'd lose a lot of the fun factor intended for this lightweight and nimble sport jet.
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

By "4c" I assume you mean "4s". No, a 4s 14.8V 3300mAh Lipo battery will not CG in our Freewing 64mm Stinger 64. That's far more than it was designed to fly. Even if you could somehow get it to physically fit and meet CG, the wing loading would be high and you'd lose a lot of the fun factor intended for this lightweight and nimble sport jet.
                            Yes, I meant 4s. Thanks, Alpha!

Comment

Hey guys. Looking to get one of these as a first EDF as I cannot for the life of me get the freewing f9f panther to fly. I'm using a futaba t8j transmitter and receiver.
                              anyways whats the best gyro and receiver to use on this stinger. Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_steve86 View Post
                                Hey guys. Looking to get one of these as a first EDF as I cannot for the life of me get the freewing f9f panther to fly. I'm using a futaba t8j transmitter and receiver.
                                anyways whats the best gyro and receiver to use on this stinger. Thanks in advance
                                There's not lots of room in this little jet , so i'm thinking receiver/gyro combo . Are you thinking 3s or 4s On your freewing f9f , i moved the battery way forward to get it to fly, well over what was in the book for CG . more nose weight the better

Comment

Hi Becevit. No 3300mah just as Alpha says. On my 4s Stinger I'm using the Zippy Compact 2200mah 4s 60c and the Rhino 4s 2200mah 50c. Both from HobbyKing. I've upgraded to a 50amp ESC as well.
                                  https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-co...en_us_products

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/rhino-22...en_us_productshttps://hobbyking.com/en_us/rhino-22...en_us_products

Both of these packs will give you perfect CG without needing to add any extra weight. Both give 3 -3.5 min flights depending on throttle use. I fly mine at about 80-85% throttle. Go to HK and note the dimension specs of the packs for reference in case you want a different battery. I don't recommend going below a 40c pack because the current draw may strain the battery too much and cause it to heat and puff. My pack barely get warm and I've got a couple dozen flights on them.

The Zippy barely fits. I have to slightly force it in. The Rhino fits perfectly. I love this little plane and hand launch and belly land b/c the landing gear create so much drag.

Enjoy.

Comment

I just got this plane with an Admiral RX600SP receiver with built-in gyro.

With a 2200 4S battery the only place I can mount the Rx upright (apparently required for gyro to function properly) is behind the battery on top of the ESC. Is that a safe place for it or am I likely to get some type of interference doing that?

I could also just stick it directly on top of the battery with some velcro. Not sure where else I could mount it. If anyone has a solution I'd be really curious to hear it. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by cartrouble2k View Post
                                      I just got this plane with an Admiral RX600SP receiver with built-in gyro.

With a 2200 4S battery the only place I can mount the Rx upright (apparently required for gyro to function properly) is behind the battery on top of the ESC. Is that a safe place for it or am I likely to get some type of interference doing that?

I could also just stick it directly on top of the battery with some velcro. Not sure where else I could mount it. If anyone has a solution I'd be really curious to hear it. Thanks a lot!
                                      Cartrouble, I too have the same Admiral Rx in my Stinger. You must indeed place it flat for the gyro to work. I also programmed the SAFE option so that I can hand launch it without any major radical events happening. I've placed the Rx on the floor of the battery compartment and slid it all the way back as far as it can go. The 4s batteries I use JUST fit and the plane is only a tiny bit nose heavy. It flies great this way and the glides for the belly lands are a piece of cake.

However, a couple of tips. Set up the plane with dual rates. I use high rates for my hand launch so the gyro can easily compensate if a buddy doesn't toss the plane flat. I switch to low rates for flying and landing. Last, be sure to select the correct battery because the battery's weight is critical for the CG with the Admiral forcing a slightly forward install. Good luck.

Comment

The Stinger (original 3S) was my first EDF.

Not having a lot of room in the battery bay, and not really being all that clued up about EDFs, I opted to place the ESC in the inlet duct!

It actually flies OK.
                                        Never measured the actual thrust but using a tired old 3S 2200 it can just about pull out of my hand with a slight nudge to get it going.
                                        Though I never would launch that way!!!

I flew it the other day. Same old tired pack (probably way passed its best) and it flew great. Even did a large loop from level flight.

Now I have the 4S HP version and I find the motor wires get in the way. I'm wondering if I should do this again.

The ESC never gets hot...

Tony

Comment

Hopefully a maiden for my 4S version tomorrow if I can squeeze a flight in between the showers.

The stock (well actually restricted!) 3S is very nice to fly so I have high hopes for this one. Not so much for extra speed, I likely won't fly it WOT at first, but I am hoping for a more amicable exhaust note. The 5 blade fan on the 3S is a bit of a screamer!

Comment

Working...
                                          X