X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilentPilot View Post
    Hopefully a maiden for my 4S version tomorrow if I can squeeze a flight in between the showers.

The stock (well actually restricted!) 3S is very nice to fly so I have high hopes for this one. Not so much for extra speed, I likely won't fly it WOT at first, but I am hoping for a more amicable exhaust note. The 5 blade fan on the 3S is a bit of a screamer!
    Yes , sounds like a hairdryer on high voltage !

Comment

I just got my Stinger 64mm HP today and am trying to figure out where to squeeze either an Spektrum AR636 or FrSky S8R into it. Can someone post pics of how they arranged the receiver and battery?

Comment

I'm using an AR636 in mine. I'll post some pics later.

I had to rummage through my batteries for a thin 4S 2200. That goes in on its side. The 636 can go either on top or below the battery, think i settled on above in the end. The antennas are routed with the small one vertical and the longer one routed backwards straight down the fuselage.

I also added a remote receiver which I ran forward into the void for the nose gear servo. Not sure how it ended up orientated, but it doesn't matter, it is there to cove as redundancy if the main antennas get shielded by the battery.

Tony

Comment

Sorry, no pic.

Wasn't worth taking one because I didn’t have a battery to put in it and the 636 was just sat in the space.
          I’m sure it goes on top though. I remember orientating the small antenna upwards.

I must add though,
          at this stage the receiver isn’t fixed in yet. AS3X has been programmed in but I won’t use it with a loose receiver.

I think long term it will get stuck to the bottom if there is room for the lid to close with the battery on top...

Comment

Originally posted by WZ9V View Post
            I just got my Stinger 64mm HP today and am trying to figure out where to squeeze either an Spektrum AR636 or FrSky S8R into it. Can someone post pics of how they arranged the receiver and battery?
            Wow ... Good luck finding room
            I use a non gyro Admiral receiver in mine just tucked back in the small space behind the battery box

Comment

Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post

Wow ... Good luck finding room
              I use a non gyro Admiral receiver in mine just tucked back in the small space behind the battery box
              My current plan is to mount it all the way back on the bottom and move the ESC to the top behind the hatch. This should give me enough room for the 4S 2200 Battery while mount the stabilizer solidly on the fuselage floor.

Comment

That's what I plan to do eventually.

The ESC fits up top and keeps the motor wires out of the way. A couple of slightly longer extensions on the aileron servos and I can route those wires out of the way too.

That's if I don't put the ESC in the inlet duct again...

Comment

I swapped to an AR630 so I don't have to worry about antenna wires nestled in all the servo wires.

I added a remote for frontal coverage. It wasn't really needed but it doubles as a wedge to stop the battery moving forward, plus it now gives the AR630 full range telemetry.

A pretty good result 😀

Comment

Originally posted by SilentPilot View Post
                    I swapped to an AR630 so I don't have to worry about antenna wires nestled in all the servo wires.

I added a remote for frontal coverage. It wasn't really needed but it doubles as a wedge to stop the battery moving forward, plus it now gives the AR630 full range telemetry.

A pretty good result 😀
                    Nice !

Comment

After being thoroughly unimpressed with my 3S Stinger I got myself the HP 4S version.

It was a bit damp today and the grass was a bit too muddy for belly landing so I opted to fly the 3S again because it has gear on.

But I put a 4S battery in it!
                      I was worried about the ESC so I got a 45A one to use but the motor wires weren’t long enough...

Restricted to the stock 30A ESC I decided to do some tests with the Wattmeter.

Being absolutely brutal it can peak at 57A with a fresh pack. That was putting the throttle stick to the top and switching off the throttle cut though. Rolling the throttle up normally sees it peak at exactly 30A.

No idea how that will translate to performance in flight though!

Off I went and put it down on my runway.
                      Straight away the performance increase was obvious!

Wary of taxing the ESC I throttled back as soon as I had gained height.

The flight was great! It can go vertically now.
                      Not unlimited mind, but at least it can do it now.

The second flight saw some strange occurrences, probably due to the ESC being overworked.
                      cruising round at about 2/3 throttle it wouldn’t give me any more power when I raised the throttle.

I landed to check it over. The ESC was hot. No surprise there.

Leaving it for a minute or so to cool off had full power restored again so I took off and used up the rest of the battery.

Can’t remember if my timer was set to 4 or 5 minutes but whatever it was it was long enough. My fingers were cold. Fingerless gloves weren’t really the order of the day...

Tony

Comment

Yes ... 4S is where it's at for sure with this little guy !

Comment

I know this thread is pretty old, but I have been reading through this to see what guys have done, and saw some older questions that I thought I'd reply with how I answered them on my jet. First off, this jet is one that I picked up with the sole purpose of getting some EDF fam since I'd never flown one before, but being a former corporate pilot, am very familiar with the differences between prop and jet flying. Also, my now ex-girlfriend got me a 64mm A-10 Thunderbolt II for Christmas last year, and I resolved to not fly it until I felt confident in my experience level with the Stinger (what a laugh this was as the Stinger is much harder to fly than the A-10). Anyway, I'd beat up my 3S Stinger pretty well while learning, and just ordered an upgrade power system for it (3-4S compatible 12 blade fan/motor/60a ESC combo) cuz I just can't stand the noise the 5-blade fan makes anymore. I still enjoy flying the Stinger because I don't care if I crash it...the A-10, different story. One thing I noticed in this thread was a lot of questions about receiver, receiver/gyro placement since it is a very cramped jet. I too struggled with this at first, but then I started looking UNDER the skin...with my exacto knife. Right there 1 3/4" aft of the canopy aft seam, and 1/4" up from the intake duct top skin, I cut out a 2 1/2" section of the Turtle Deck (I've seen some guys go longer, or farther forward, etc. there's ample room) and Voila! A nice cavity to install my FT Aura 5 flight controller (see pics), which I mounted on a piece of balsa to provide a flat, level surface, but also to take up the lateral space since the Aura is pretty small. Additionally, I used a Spectrum DSMX Satellite receiver which plugs into the Aura, and is stuck to the aft cockpit bulkhead where it fits perfect. You'll see that I used toothpicks as guide pins for the deck, and also as a fore/aft lock pin for the deck, which serves two purposes: to lock the deck down, and also by not pushing it fully aft, provides a little extra security lock for the aft canopy since I have a micro AIO FPV camera mounted on it, and just tape a 1S lipo on the top to power it...works awesome. Well, I hope this helps anyone new, or old, to the Stinger 64mm. I've done some other things to it also like, landing gear (I live near Reno and we have dry lake beds to work with, not grass), winglets to help it fly slower, I'm going to clean up the aileron orientation, and put on some flaps or just add a second aileron channel (remove the servo Y cord) and program the ailerons to work as flaperons. The more I mod this jet, the more I like it...remember, I don't care if it crashes as I have a lot of extra Foam and CA. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                          X