You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just saw the Phoenix models A26 in tower.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air retracts are very good, and high end electric retracts are just as good. So for me it's a toss up. And no I didn't know a nother thread had been started. Mostly because I mainly hang out in the prop plane forum. Almost forget there's other branches. :/

Comment

Requirements; two 4S 4500mah lipos!

How much flight time is that?

Comment

Originally posted by crankestein View Post
        Requirements; two 4S 4500mah lipos!

How much flight time is that?
        Was answered here:
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

So I pulled the trigger and ordered this plane.

I am planning on outfitting it as electric with the rimfire setup and 2 x 4s 5000 admiral batteries and 3 bladed props..

I am still undecided whether to replace the air powered retracts with electric. I will likely wait and see what the retract system looks like when it arrives.

Comment

Post some pictures of the plane before assembly if you can, I'd like to see what it looks like.

Comment

Absolutely! I'm interested to see how you rate the retracts as well.

Comment

When everything gets in I will create a new build thread and update with pics.

it currently says shipping in August, so I am not sure of the exact date.

Todd

Comment

As I am still concerned with the Rimfire .32 spec, I added the data to eCalc ( to the best of my abilities) and came up with the following report

if I swap out the APC 2 bladed prop to a MAS 3 bladed 13x8 the Thrust-weight is 0.75:1 and the Power-Weight is 70W/lb

T

Comment

Ohh man that is alittle tight. She'll fly pretty scale though

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                      Ohh man that is alittle tight. She'll fly pretty scale though
                      For fun I ran the stock numbers on the Hanger 9 Twin Otter, the Hanger 9 Mitchell and the Top-Flite B-25 Mitchell. In both cases with the 13x8 props, the numbers were almost identical. With the MAS 3 bladed 13x8 all the numbers are better.

Scale it is...

Comment

Indeed very nice

Comment

Guys, please ignore my previous post, the data contained some errors. I will update tomorrow

Comment

Copy that

Comment

I have re-run the numbers in eCalc with the correct battery cell count.

Tower Hobbies recommend spec
                              2 x RimFire .32
                              2 x 60 amp ESC
                              2 x 13 x 8 2-blade prop.

As you can see by A-26 13x8 2-blade 60 amp ESC.jpg that spec puts the current draw and the max power over the limits of the ESC and motor.

Based on a response from Tower Hobbies posted by LDM, they have tested the A-26 on the RimFire .32 motors and suggest either a 13x6 2-blade or a 12x5x3 3-bladed prop.

The 13x6 2-blade still pushes the amp draw to slightly over the 60AMP for the ESC
                              A-26 13x6 2- blade 60 amp ESC.jpg

The 80 amp ESC provides enough for the 13x6 2-blade
                              A-26 13 x 6 2-blade 80 amp ESC.jpg

The 12x5x3 3-blade fits with the 60 amp ESC.
                              A-26 12x5 3 blade 60 amp ESC.jpg

I will likely bump up to the 80 amp ESC for extra wiggle room.

Comment

Here is my currently planned Electric Power System

2 x RimFire .32
                                2 x Phoenix Edge 75 32V 75A ESC w/5 AMP BEC
                                2 x 5000MAH 4S 14.8V 40C
                                2 x MAS 12x6x3 ( one puller, one pusher)

Comment

I like it

Comment

And to make her pretty...

Comment

I love the A26, like all the warbirds! I modified a VQ A-26 into the gun nose version and this was the result...

Comment

Very cool, on both, can't wait to see the finished product T!

Comment

I never flew this one with .46 OS engines. I lost one on takeoff roll and the P factor was so great, it made me scared to fly it!!! I didn't hurt the plane, but I did need a beer and a shot of Jose to settle me down!!! LOL I will change this to electric if I can get around to it! This was before gyros were popular and useable in fixed wing stuff... Anyway, good luck on the one from Tower!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X