You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just saw the Phoenix models A26 in tower.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record, here is my email transcript from Phoenix models

Dear Todd,
    Thank you for the email. Yes, please use our suggestion for electric set up as showing from the manual ( as the same you show us below). We flown this model with that set up
    Best regards,
    Robert

>
    > Hello
    >
    > I have the A26 INVADER GP/EP Size .46-.55 Scale 1:9 ¼ ARF on pre-order via Tower Hobbies. My plan is to outfit the plane using an electric setup. However in reviewing the recommended specs below I am concerned that the plane will be under-powered. If I use eCalc to review the suggested power setup it shows the plane being under powered.
    >
    > Can you confirm the plane has been tested with an electric setup?
    > Can you confirm that the plane will indeed fly with the recommended electric setup?
    > Do you have any sample videos of the plane flying with the electric setup?
    >
    > Todd
    >
    > RECOMMENDED MOTOR AND BATTERY SET UP
    > - Motor: 2 X RIMFIRE .32 (not included)
    > - Lipo cell: 2 X 4 cells / 4500 – 5500mAh (not included)
    > - Esc: 2 X 45A (not included)

Comment

Sweet! Look forward to hearing how it goes!

Comment

I was very seriously interested in doing this as my first giant scale but have now gone back to my original plan of the 84" ESM F7F Tigercat.
        I dl'd the manual and am not at all impressed with two wing halves that are attached at the fuse. It is a pretty bulky assembly with the power plant/main gear pod and all the wiring and tubing associated to connect to the fuselage. You'd need a dedicated cradle to hold the fuse while attaching this bulky arrangement and the nightmare of wire connections/air retract plumbing.
        The better/ideal design for transportation breakdown should be a 3 piece design like how the LX Mitchell was done. The wings are removable outboard of the nacelles and the bird can sit on it's gear with the center section removable if heavier maintenance is required after the initial assembly. Very disappointed with this design approach and really don't see this coming my way now. Hope that Tower is monitoring the thread over on RCG where I posted a similar angst. They should strongly advise Phoenix of this most probable customer show stopper.
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
          I dl'd the manual and am not at all impressed with two wing halves that are attached at the fuse. It is a pretty bulky assembly with the power plant/main gear pod and all the wiring and tubing associated to connect to the fuselage. You'd need a dedicated cradle to hold the fuse while attaching this bulky arrangement and the nightmare of wire connections/air retract plumbing.

It's a show stopper for me, I was really interested in this plane until now.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
            I was very seriously interested in doing this as my first giant scale but have now gone back to my original plan of the 84" ESM F7F Tigercat.
            OV10, is this a kit you already have? I thought it was discontinued?

Comment

Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post

OV10, is this a kit you already have? I thought it was discontinued?
              You gotta be referring to the ESM cause this thread is about the NEW Phoenix. According to Tomas @ VQwarbirds.com, his latest posting on RC Universe has the Tigercat as avail but presently not in stock.
              RC Warbirds and Warplanes - Vq warbirds incoming sept models - Extra Extra, Read All About It !!!! VQ WARBIRDS AUGUST 2017 NEWS!!! BIG NEWS!!! EXCITING VQ MODELS ARRIVING FOR EARLY FALL!!! PHONE ORDERS NOW ACCEPTED: Call 1-866-692-4318 What’s the BIG NEWS??? We have our NEXT SHIPMENT OF VQ MODELS arriving in Late
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Dang, talk about killing a dream... Bummer

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                  Dang, talk about killing a dream... Bummer
                  I KNOW.........but Phoenix didn't think this thru from a transport/assembly aspect and I can see the major ass ache involved in the present method of wing attachment.
                  Warbird Charlie

Comment

Agreed, you would almost have to rig it up where the receiver is in the wing, but that still leaves the air lines and battery connections. Either way headaches abound with this one

Comment

I've come up with a solution to the wiring problem. Dual receivers in the engine necells. Then you could run your elevator to one side receiver and the rudder/nose gear to the other.. still keeping your power to the original plan. That would cut alot of the headaches as you would only need to connect 4 sets of wires and the air lines. Again just me trying to think of solutions to the aggravating transport issue

Comment

I've come up with a solution to the wiring problem. Dual receivers in the engine necells. Then you could run your elevator to one side receiver and the rudder/nose gear to the other.. still keeping your power to the original plan. That would cut alot of the headaches as you would only need to connect 4 sets of wires and the air lines. Again just me trying to think of solutions to the aggravating transport issue
                        Keep working it Rifle but having been there done that ass-ache routine with some VQ models.
                        I have moved on from this Phoenix offering unless of course they realize that this is a serious design issue and redo that wing.
                        Better to postpone the release of it and get it right versus continuing down the road with a white elephant that will more than likely see miserable sales.
                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

If I were them I would do like Dynam did and make a top hatch over a single piece wing. I had a T28 with that same hatch setup with a spring loaded pin lock. Worked great

Comment

I looked at this plane also. It's much bigger and heavier than the VQ A-26 but calls for the same motor set up. I can't see how if it flies on a .46 nitro it can fly on a 32 rimfire. It would seem to me that it would need a 46 sized electric motor. When JB hobbies was in business I talked to the owner about the VQ A-26 and he said a 32 size was all that was needed for that plane. I had two 46 sized electrics and he said it would be overkill. Anyways, I don't like the color scheme and will be getting the VQ A-26 since it comes in Southeast Asia camo. They both will probably cost about the same to finish so it's a wash for either one concerning costs. I don't worry about transportation since I have a full size pickup and a trailer available.

Comment

The final straw.

I just got an email from Tower Hobbies... apparently USPS will no longer ship that size a package, as a result it will need to go via UPS.

The charge to shipping to Canada will be $215.86 USd, plus brokerage fees and duties.

While I am used to shipping costs into the great white north, this will essentially the double the cost of the plane.

With all the confusion on parts, and specs and then this, I am out.

Order has been cancelled.

T

Comment

Holy crap man! No kidding there I'd drop the mic on that one too. Screw that noise!

Comment

Holy crap man! No kidding there I'd drop the mic on that one too. Screw that noise!
                                  Yeah, I am a sad canuck.... Back to the drawing board for a winter project on a decent sized electric powered bomber

Comment

So there are build posts going on over on RCGroups (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ARF-90-5/page5).

It is interesting because the builder is use the same power setup that I had planned on.

I am watching this very closely for maiden and flight reviews.

This bird may make it back on my list ( with shipping to Ogdensburg NY this time).

T

Comment

Not any chatter on this plane in a month and a half. Has anyone built and flown one yet? Every time I see this plane, I want it, but I'm worried about the powertrain and wing attachment strength that's been previously discussed. Any updates?
                                      ---
                                      Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                                        Not any chatter on this plane in a month and a half. Has anyone built and flown one yet? Every time I see this plane, I want it, but I'm worried about the powertrain and wing attachment strength that's been previously discussed. Any updates?
                                        I noticed the same.............quite a bit of excitement by many that looked forward to the maiden flight at NEAT by the Phoenix "field tester"(unsure of his true affiliation),
                                        Then all went quiet after it crashed and then nothing even from the pilot as to the cause, who was pretty active on RCG prior to the maiden.
                                        I'm still of the same opinion as I stated in post #51.
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

Splinters...
                                          TiredIron Aviation
                                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                                          X