Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fifth box held mostly accessories. Here you get the pilot who is like most black horse pilots but I am going to try and detail him more with some washes. They include a control stick (love that little detail) as well. The awesome drop tank is here and the accessories to mount it. You get your wheel wells an antennae and your faux nav lights. The nav lights and the window are separate so one could easily add their own lights if wanted.

Comment

The sixth and final box in the kit is also the largest. This holds your 2 wing sections, horizontal stabilizer, rudder and some covering patches for mistakes that may come. At this point it further excited me seeing the covering again like the fuselage has. From all angles and sides the finish is stunning. You can see the control surfaces are taped down nicely for transport. All the servo hatches are machines perfectly and the covering matches up well. Looking on the sides of the wings you see your guide stringes, awesome ribbing and pvc embedded for the spar.

This Zero needs to maiden like yesterday at this point

Comment

So here it is. The entire Kit laid out on my 8' table and while it appears daunting, looks like a pretty straight-forward assembly that will just take a good few nights to complete. I am super excited to get started once my electronics arrive.

Comment

As I started to clean off the table and get the parts back in the box, I couldn't help but do a quick dry fit of the wings and...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200325_144038.jpg
Views:	1799
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	244933

I'm speechless!

This Friday at 12pm ET we will be live on YouTube showing off this kit and the P-40C Warhawk from Black Horse as well. Alpha will be joining us and we will show and answer any questions you might have about either kit or any other Black Horse models.

Join us here:

Comment

James, Too bad there isn't a Hellcat to keep that Zero in check
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

If this size proves popular for us, be careful what you wish for...
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                I’d wish for a Wildcat! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                  Well the price point for these is a lot more palatable than the giant scale Top Flite's which don't include the etracts.
                  It's not a wish but more of a self-fulfilling expectation so don't make me start beating the drum for this one also
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I love the Zero, hope my boss will let me own one!

Comment

Here is a pic of a Zero on floats, might be a nice conversion to a seaplane...

Name:	zero on floats.png
Views:	1727
Size:	622.7 KB
ID:	245278

Comment

Originally posted by Jets and Wings View Post
                        Here is a pic of a Zero on floats, might be a nice conversion to a seaplane...

Name:	zero on floats.png
Views:	1727
Size:	622.7 KB
ID:	245278
                        Allied code name “Rufe”!

Comment

I'm watching the live stream recording now and I'm super impressed with these two models. I'm especially impressed with the covering and detail it contains on the Zero.

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                            I'm watching the live stream recording now and I'm super impressed with these two models. I'm especially impressed with the covering and detail it contains on the Zero.
                            It would be nice for Motion RC to sell an electric motor that would use a 12 cell setup since I have so many 6 cell packs. Not going to by 5 cell packs just for this motor you recommend.

Comment

I would also prefer a 12S power system simply because I use 6S LiPo's primarily, which makes it easy to achieve 12S via series connection.

Comment

The write up indicates something equivalent to a 60cc gasser. You could look at the Rimfire 65cc motor, it does 12S and has a solid rep.

Comment

Their current recommended motor on 10S set up may be 12S capable as well (we will see if Alpha has tested certain prop. sizes with it), but with a smaller propeller, but then it may change the look, performance at certain RPM's, etc.

Comment

Turnigy sells a good 50cc electric motor that is 12s capable. I believe it takes a 24x12 prop.

Comment

Queries about a FG60R3 fitting? A 90 fits fine after some mount rework, mostly due Keleo exhaust. Easy 6mm clearance all round.

Comment

bananaman Thanks for joining Hobby Squawk, Bananaman, especially with such a helpful first post! What did you have to do to shoehorn in the Keleo exhaust ring? Did you cut out a slot through the cowl's ventral face?
                                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I'll post a pic or two tomorrow. I cut off the lower scoop from the cowl, it will get mounted to the fuselage instead. Then the cowl just slides on nice and easy. The rectangular "mount box" needed its corners sanded off to fit the exhaust ring. The box will get some glass cloth reinforcing.

Its a pretty straight forward build so far and is a well thought out design. The construction is good, mine has good glue joints where I can see, the covering is very good. The balsa and ply is adequate, I would CA any drilled holes before final screwing, particularly the cowl mounts and servo screws. The hori stab needed some sheeting trimmed back to fit. Hardware is good, I haven't thrown any out. My axle bolts needed a cleanup with a die though. I'm not keen on plastic spinners on larger gas motors so will change that. The instructions are OK in some areas and a bit lacking in others. I dropped the pilot and he split apart, mine had its join seems cleaned off a bit too much before painting! Glad to fix that weakness now before gluing the canopy on and before the gasser shook him apart.

So far so good, it certainly looks great.

Comment

Working...
                                          X