Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bancroft 550mm Sportsail Sailboat -RTR

Sportsail Sailboat from Bancroft - RTR
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC06592.JPG Views:	2 Size:	131.6 KB ID:	243186

Smooth Sailing!

Conquer the waves with Bancroft, the world’s premier RC Boat brand available exclusively at Motion RC! Bancroft’s line of RC vessels is as vast as the seven seas, specializing in high scale RC Warships, Yachts, Speedboats, and more! Equally at home on your mantle with its included display stand or sailing on calm lakes or pools, Bancroft vessels are made of high-quality materials including ABS, fiberglass, real wood, and photo-etched brass and steel parts.

The Sportsail Sailboat is a leisure RTR boat you can take with you to any calm pond, lake or other calm body of water.

Display this racing boat on your mantle or enjoy it on the water with this functional RTR (Ready to Run) model. Delivered Ready to Run (RTR), the Sportsail can be operating within minutes of arrival, using the included 2.4Ghz radio transmitter and eight AA batteries. Only eight AA batteries and minimal assembly is required.
    Fully Adjustable

Just as on a larger sailboat, the Bancroft Sportsail's fittings are adjustable. The boom vang can be raised and lowered via a threaded fitting, and the jib boom and sail positions can be adjusted by tensioning the included rigging.
    Functional Rudder

A deep rudder provides positive control even when at extreme heeling angles.
    Race-Ready

With a standardized hull length and weight, the Sportsail is ideal for club racing.
    Improved Scale Deck

An All-New deck has been designed to evoke a more scale silhouette of full-size sailing yachts.
    Adjustable Sails

Refine the Sportsail's setup to suit your preferences for racing or cruising!
    Molded Hull

Durable molded hull withstands the choppy water typical on race day, while maintaining easy, stable handling on flat water as well.
    RTR - Ready To Run

Fully painted with all rigging and sails included and all onboard electronics pre-installed, the Bancroft Sportsail requires only AA batteries for the radio and receiver pack!
    Easy To Transport

Perfectly sized for everyday sailing, the Bancroft Sportsail is an ideal first sailboat for beginners to learn rigging, maintenance, and handling. The Sportsail is also a globally recognized race-class sailboat! It is quite literally Two In One!
    Features:
    • RTR (Ready to Run) with 2.4Ghz radio, receiver, battery, and charger
    • All Electronics are pre-installed
    • Fully Painted
    • 2.4Ghz radio system and all electronics Pre-Installed
    • Rated for calm ponds, pools, and lakes appropriate for RC Boats
    Includes:
    • Bancroft Sportsail Sailboat - RTR
    • 2.4Ghz Radio and Receiver, pre-installed
    • Steering servo, pre-installed
    • 8x AA batteries
    Requires:
    • Eight (8) AA-sized 1.5V dry cell batteries, Alkaline or NiMH
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

"The Sportsail is also a globally recognized race-class sailboat! "

Can you please point me to the class website?

Thank you

Comment

I am interested in learning to sail RC boats, but have never sailed anything at all. I have a Volantex RTR 650 size that my wife bought for me, and I did sail it last week. I was able to move around fairly well, and even got it to come back to me against the wind, though it wasn't pretty or easy! The winds were maybe 10mph or less, and I was wondering what most people prefer wind wise when sailing? I am a complete newbie with sailing, so any help is appreciated.

Comment

Congrats on your first successful sail!

My preferred wind speed depends on the sea state and the type of boat and its configuration. We can get fairly deep in the weeds with wing types, rigging tension, etc, but suffice to say, most new sailors will prefer flat water with winds 5mph-10mph. No wind is not fun, but high wind is not instructive, so a balance is best. Having flat water reduces its effect on how the boat is sailing (currents, wave action), so you can observe the boat for what it is alone. Contrary to what some may think, more wind isn't necessarily better, either, as this can make controlling the boat between different stages of a tack more difficult. Especially when it comes to transitioning from full sheet/running to a close-haul (heading toward a tack), gusting winds can often obscure when you want your sheets where, and end up bobbling the boat and losing forward momentum.

Sailing a boat of this kind is about finesse, a lot like sloping a sailplane on a shallow slope, where it isn't about finding the "most" wind, but the "best" wind. The difference is that, unlike an airplane fuselage that is moving in 3D space, with a boat, the hull's dimension is fixed, so there is a narrower road to follow as far as where to position your sheets based on where the wind is going. To walk that narrow road, Google "Points of Sail", and you'll find helpful diagrams that visualize what you're looking for. The challenge in RC, of course, is about learning to determine the wind's behavior relative to the boat out on the water, while you're standing on shore, so you can actually optimize your sheet position accordingly. That's the fun!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Points of Sail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	254866

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

This boat looks a lot like a Graupner Micro Magic. The original boat was offshored when Graupner went belly up the first time. If this is the case, I think it’ll be a good thing, and hopefully any spares available for the Bancroft boat will fit the MM, and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by cashrc View Post
            This boat looks a lot like a Graupner Micro Magic. The original boat was offshored when Graupner went belly up the first time. If this is the case, I think it’ll be a good thing, and hopefully any spares available for the Bancroft boat will fit the MM, and vice versa.
            That would be great. Always stinks when a product goes out and you lose access to parts etc. Welcome to HobbySquawk cashrc. How many boats you have?

Comment

Too many!! Hmm...about 15. Four sailboats, the rest are scale or semi scale with a smattering of slightly fast electrics, and one quick little outrigger.

Comment

Here’s a few

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_62041.jpg
Views:	1230
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	276839Click image for larger version

Name:	image_62042.jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	276840
                  Ordered this from Motion RC and it arrived nicely packaged. It comes with a wooden stand that snaps together easily.

Since it is RTR it comes with a transmitter and 8 batteries. 4 for the transmitter and 4 for the boat. The boat itself looks very nice and appears to be high quality materials.

There are instructions but they are not really that helpful - at least for this model.

The receiver is already in, everything is connected and all you should have to do is pop in the batteries, turn the transmitter on, turn the on/off switch to the power located inside the boat and be ready to go. (after rigging the sails of course)

The odd part to figure out is getting the batteries in the boat. When you look inside there appears to be a place for two batteries because that is all you can access. At this point, I thought maybe it only takes two batteries but after putting them in, it was a no go.

I checked the receiver connections by pulling it out (it is attached to the hull with Velcro) and everything seemed plugged in tightly. Finally I removed two screws and the rudder servo screw and was able to take the whole assembly out of the hull. At that point I could see where the problem was - there is a space for two more batteries underneath! The problem is you can't access that are to put them in without removing the complete assembly as I did. The battery pack does look like it may be Velcroed underneath, so maybe it is possible to pull it the battery pack out without removing anything else but there is nothing in the instructions to explain this, nor is it apparent from looking into the hull opening. Of course once I place the other two batteries in, everything worked fine. There is no binding process that you have to go through.

Connecting the sails took some time but by looking at the photos on Motion RC's website you can figure out how everything is supposed to be connected.

Hoping to get out sailing later today and I will report back in. As an airplane guy, I figured this would be a good alternative when the wind is blowing! I am a newbie to RC sailing and am looking forward to the experience.

My suggestion to Motion RC is to create a manual specific to this boat and place it on the website. If I didn't have experience with RC aircraft assembly and related electronics, I might have given up thinking that there was something broken.

Comment

Very pleased with how this operates. Light winds 7-8 mph and it cruises along nicely. Easy to maneuver and very relaxing. Now for some customization. My wife named it "Lady Blues"

Name:	Bancroft Sportsail 2.jpeg
Views:	1167
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	276925Click image for larger version

Name:	Bancroft Sportsail 4.jpeg
Views:	1190
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	276922Click image for larger version

Name:	Bancroft Sportsail 5.jpeg
Views:	1162
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	276923Click image for larger version

Name:	Bancroft Sportsail 3.jpeg
Views:	1175
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	276924

Attached Files

Comment

Completed the customization. Callie provided the name and number graphics.

Name:	CD8CE5B7-EB48-4032-99E8-48994C5D5AB0.jpeg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	281394Click image for larger version

Name:	CC070E96-22D4-487A-B0C7-A9A6CBD1F39C.jpeg
Views:	1242
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	281395

Comment

Originally posted by uscanuck1xa View Post
                        Completed the customization. Callie provided the name and number graphics.

Name:	CD8CE5B7-EB48-4032-99E8-48994C5D5AB0.jpeg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	281394Click image for larger version

Name:	CC070E96-22D4-487A-B0C7-A9A6CBD1F39C.jpeg
Views:	1242
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	281395
                        Fantastic! Are the graphics iron-on or just stickers?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

Fantastic! Are the graphics iron-on or just stickers?
                          Thank you. The name and port on the stern and the number on the sail are regular vinyl stick on graphics from Callie - same as aircraft. The stripes on the sails and the blues on the boat are sprayed on with Rustoleum 2X, masked off with yellow frog tape.

Comment

A great day to get it out on the water.

Comment

Very happy with my little sportsail, got it last week and managed a short sail between 15+ Mph winds here in Nebraska.

You can see it right itself nicely after the winds blow through. It's very relaxing and once you get it in the water, not intimidating at all for a newbie to R/C sailboats.https://youtu.be/U55xIWYwAus

Comment

Originally posted by cdavis11 View Post
                                Very happy with my little sportsail, got it last week and managed a short sail between 15+ Mph winds here in Nebraska.

You can see it right itself nicely after the winds blow through. It's very relaxing and once you get it in the water, not intimidating at all for a newbie to R/C sailboats.https://youtu.be/U55xIWYwAus
                                That's been my experience thus far. Just relaxing and fun to try and find the right angle of the wind to get her moving. I would love to find an RC Boat regatta near me. Would be fun with a bunch in the water and some buoys to race arounnd

Comment

Hi gang, here is my Bancroft Sportsail 550 in the shop getting detailed. The "Kathleen" is painted like our original "Kathleen" that my wife and I sailed all over Gardiner's Bay. My wife passed away this past spring and this is a memorial to her. The portholes were created by me using a drawing program. I have run into a problem here and hope you can help. As you can see in the picture I am using some old sock material to cushion the boat on the stand.

Here is the problem.. I purchased Acrylic paints and the flat blue bottom paint is too fragile. At the slightest touch the paint comes off! Do you know of a treatment that I can do to make the bottom paint resistant to scratches? I hope to sail her next year.

Best wishes,
                                  John

Comment

Update: I purchased a spray can of Mod Podge acrylic sealer and sprayed the bottom. It dried to a hard gloss finish and feels much better. I got the battery case out of the boat and all batteries are installed. Now rigging the sails and I may just get some sailing in this fall!

Comment

Guys I'm new to forums but not to rc . I still have my first string line Cox Indy racer. I have boats, cars , trucks. Drones and helicopters. But now I'm old. blind in one eye & my reactions are no longer as fast as they used to be. So now I'm seeking advice on sail boats . With my history of remote control what would be a good sailboat for me to start with.

Comment

Watson Where are you located? It would be better to find a local club and use the boats they use. That way you could race eventually. Sailing with other people is where the fun really starts. I own 2 RC lasers. They are a very simple boat, yet can sail in about any wind condition. They are also larger then most other sail boats at 43 inches so much easier to see with my old eyes.
                                        Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X