P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a 3D printed RC submarine. The French Redoutable.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCjetdude, First I've seen this thread of your submarine build. You are just taken it out there and beyond. What a great project, incredible work, Sir. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Surprise!!

Comment

Turns out the pitch controller does not play well with a PCM receiver. Works perfectly with the PPM receiver I ordered. Now to send it off for re-tuning at Radio South. At least I can move forward with this build.

Comment

It be interesting too see your maiden

Comment

I will get video. I tried to trim it in my bathtub but the dang thing is too long...or my tub is too short. Moving forward with opening my pool a little early as a result and may pick up a small kiddie pool in the meantime. I am anxious to get it trimmed so all I have to do is drop the receiver back in it when I get it back.

Comment

Picked up a cheap inflatable kiddie pool and have been working on trimming it. You have to establish both a waterline trim and static dive trim so it is quite the process of trial and error. It is a matter of where to place weight in the keel and how much and then where to place foam above and below the waterline. When done it should sit in the water at the waterline and then when the ballast tank is flooded, it should submerge straight down and the deck should wash over evenly. It is easier said than done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200329_223501_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	245835

Comment

RCjetdude, It doesn't sound easy at all.. Your sub does look very good just sitting there, don't you think? Proud papa. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I finally got to start playing with the Redoutable in the big pool with all RC gear in operation. It still needs some work but initial tests look good. I got this video of it performing a static submerge and surface. Pretty cool stuff.

Comment

And here is its first lake run.

Comment

RCJD, Grade "A" on Sea Trials, Sir. Bravo Zulu on the entire project. I call that a reward unto itself. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

It was good to finally get it out into open water and see just how it would behave under power. I trimmed it to be just slightly positively bouyant when the ballast tank is flooded. Basically everything submerges except for the periscope. That way the dive planes will pull it down under forward motion and if it ever quit should return to the surface without even having to blow the ballast tank.

Comment

RCjetdude Super awesome build and videos, I hope to see other members venturing into submersibles. Who knows, maybe a Bancroft sub(s) will grace the product pages of Motion RC in the not too distant future...

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polo View Post
                            RCjetdude Super awesome build and videos, I hope to see other members venturing into submersibles. Who knows, maybe a Bancroft sub(s) will grace the product pages of Motion RC in the not too distant future...
                            Thank you sir. They are fascinating. Now in addition to this one and my 1/35th Nautilus, I also have a fiberglass Typhoon hull and I am building an Ohio'ish class sub based on a piece of 6" PVC pipe. It will be almost 7-1/2 feet long. I am designing and 3D printing the nose, tail and deck and will likely mold the sail and stern control surfaces for it. The main thing with it is the modularity permitted by using the PVC pipe for the hull. The nose and tail will be removable to access a slide in tray that contains all the running gear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_204055_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	257827

Comment

very cool, NICE work !!
                              rc flyin addict

Comment

Working...
                              X