X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Inside a Typical RTR "Ready To Run" RC Tank

Hopefully this information educates by showing the common components found inside a hobby grade RC RTR tank such as Heng Long, Taigen, Torro, etc. There are variations throughout the hobby, but in general, all RC RTR tanks will include the following parts.
    Lower Hull:

1) Motors. Or... your tank is really a pillbox. All RTR tanks have two motors. Most RTRs use two identical motors, each responsible for one of the tracks. To move forward, both of the motors spin their respective tracks forward. To turn, one of them spins forward while the other spins rearward. Certain configurations use a "drive" motor to drive the tank forward, and a "steering" motor to turn.

2) Gearboxes. Each of the motors transfer rotation to the drive shaft via a gearbox. RTR tanks' gearboxes are often exposed. The gearbox ratio is usually fixed, but aftermarket upgrades with other gearbox ratios can be paired with other motors for faster speed, higher torque, etc.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	bbkth4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	222672

3) "The Brains" - MFCB, MCB, MCU, or by any other name, this is the multi-function board that controls the motors, speaker, power input, turret functions, track functions, LED functions, etc. All RTR tanks' MFCBs also integrate a receiver, but aftermarket MFCBs require the user to add their receiver of choice. Below is an example of Heng Long's latest TK6 series MFCB. All functions are designed to plug in, without any soldering required, for easy replacement and servicing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	O1CN01XUzGEy1ZensiHTfP8_!!3408063220.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	222674Click image for larger version  Name:	O1CN01pPB8Ou1ZensiBLkzL_!!3408063220 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	222673

4) Speaker - Most RTR tanks include one speaker, although newer RTR MFCBs such as Heng Long's TK6 can power two speakers as an aftermarket upgrade.

5) Battery bay and power switch - Heng Long's switches are accessible on the underside of the tank's lower hull. Some tanks from Mato relocate the switch onto the rear hull face.

6) "Exhaust Effect" or "Smoke" unit - Glycerin is stored in a reservoir which is then heated by a heating element. The heated glycerin vaporizes into a white puff, which is then expelled out of the tank through a tube, pushed by a motor-driven reciprocating piston. Refilling the glycerin is accomplished by the user pouring one or two drops into that same tube while the unit is turned off. One to two drops per hour are sufficient, and it is imperative not to flood the tube, otherwise the vapor cannot exit the tube.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00024.JPG Views:	1 Size:	139.5 KB ID:	222565Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00015.JPG Views:	1 Size:	128.2 KB ID:	222566

Upper Hull:

1) Turret Ring (for 320 degree rotation, unless modified for 360 degrees) - The black ABS plastic ring seen below
    2) Turret Traverse mechanism (usually a geared brushed motor) - The black rectangle mounted against the turret ring below
    3) LED Wiring - Headlight LED wiring and tail light LED wiring, depending on the tank's layout

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00025.JPG Views:	1 Size:	127.2 KB ID:	222564Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00017.JPG Views:	1 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	222567
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Turret:
    Inside the turret are the following components:

1) Elevation mechanism - This is usually a geared brushed motor driving a helical armature to elevate (raise) and depress (lower) the cannon barrel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	O1CN01LutKn81ZensjxlWeU_!!3408063220 - Copy.jpg
Views:	2521
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	222676

2) Airsoft firing mechanism for 6mm plastic BB. -When pressing the firing buttons from the radio, the brushed motor (yellow-red wire) compresses a piston/spring rearward until a trip switch is triggered (yellow-yellow wire), at which point the piston slams forward to propel a 6mm BB out of the barrel at the same time the MFCB triggers the "cannon firing" sound and the track recoil effect.

Name:	O1CN01PvqjTS1Zensh0kFa9_!!3408063220 - Copy.jpg
Views:	2556
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	222675

3) Infrared (IR) emitter LED - This is buried in the mantlet of the turret facing forward, so that wherever the cannon barrel is facing, that is where the IR signal will be sent when you "fire" at other tanks during IR battles
    4) Infrared (IR) receiver port - Used for the magnetically attached "apple" that the user attaches from the outside of the turret to receive "hits" from other tanks during IR Battles
    5) Recoil mechanism [in specific editions of some tanks from Heng Long and others)

Comment

Send them Santa!!

Comment

To the new tankers, something to keep in mind...do yourself a favor, and pitch the included 6mm BB's. The molding seam will wreck your airsoft mechanism. Get the seamless BB's, and it'll save some future repairs.

Comment

Good tip! I mention this in my individual product reviews. I sort through the BBs and toss out 10%-20% on average. Anything with a hint of a seam gets tossed. Higher quality airsoft BBs are easy to find in most places. 0.20g are best, since there's no hop-up bucking in Heng Long's chamber.

Comment

Thanks for the tips and I just purchased a heng long Sherman Pro tank. the info is much appreciated. I do have one question though... Can you switch the left and right controller sticks? It sounds like the controller is in mode1, can it be switched where the left stick controls forward. reverse and turn? or did I read it wrong.
            Thanks in advance,
            STC

Comment

Originally posted by STClassic View Post
              Thanks for the tips and I just purchased a heng long Sherman Pro tank. the info is much appreciated. I do have one question though... Can you switch the left and right controller sticks? It sounds like the controller is in mode1, can it be switched where the left stick controls forward. reverse and turn? or did I read it wrong.
              Thanks in advance,
              STC
              Hi STC, welcome to Hobby Squawk! The TK6.0 does not currently have a provision to swap the "Mode". However, my prototype TK6.1S I'm currently testing is swapped as you described. I'll ask the factory when they wake up. Standby.

Here is a diagram (from the printed manual) that identifies all the ports and switches on the TK6.0. Note that there is no "mode switch" button. I don't have the manual in front of me right now to view the pages that show the deeper programming in the radio itself, but as I recall, programmable functions handle recoil, turning sensitivity, acceleration, speed mode, and other functions of that nature... not mode switching.

Name:	HLG6021-001 -- Diagram.jpg
Views:	2396
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	238362
              Attached Files

Comment

Got my tank ! Everything is working properly and the pieces are added. But I do have one question. There is a wire antenna in the kit.
                Is it supposed to to connect to metal post on the turret?Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20200229_210434_LI.jpg
Views:	2116
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	239252

Comment

Originally posted by STClassic View Post
                  Got my tank ! Everything is working properly and the pieces are added. But I do have one question. There is a wire antenna in the kit.
                  Is it supposed to to connect to metal post on the turret?Click image for larger version  Name:	Inked20200229_210434_LI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.1 KB ID:	239252
                  The wire does nothing. It was for the OLD OLD OLD system. Now it is just for looks as the tanks antenna. It looks very toy like in silver and needs to be painted to look half way descent. It is optional to attach it to the tank on the metal post.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

The wire does nothing. It was for the OLD OLD OLD system. Now it is just for looks as the tanks antenna. It looks very toy like in silver and needs to be painted to look half way descent. It is optional to attach it to the tank on the metal post.
                    Thanks! My thought was that if the unpainted metal post was the receiver antenna, it could interfere with the radio signal. After I posted I took a closer look at pictures of the tank apart and noticed no wires that could be accounted for the antenna. I think a black magic marker will handle the paint job.

Comment

CAN WE GET ANY UPDATE ON THE TANKS???? BEING IN STOCK AGAIN??? OTHER THAN THE NORMAL??? CLICK THE BUTTON AND WE WILL EMAIL YOU??? THAT IS SO LAME??? AND IM TURED OF HEARING THIS, WEEK, AFTER WEEK, AND MONTH, AFTER MONTH??? WHERE ARE THE TANKS????!!!!!!

Comment

Dana's RC Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Despite worldwide slowdowns caused by Covid-19, we continue to receive and process hundreds of restocks every week across a wide variety of RC product categories. The next tank restock shipments are currently estimated to arrive later this month, and yes, the email notification system is indeed the most effective method online companies such as ours use to notify large numbers of interested persons when products are restocked and available for purchase again.

On any given day, there are many adjustments being made to our product portfolio spanning over 8,000 products, and compounded by the severe variability inherent in the shipping and logistics chain, unfortunately sending manual notifications one-by-one is impossible. When products arrive and are received and inspected and loaded into our system, only then will automatic notifications be emailed to those who subscribed to the Restock Notification, at which point they can determine if they want to proceed with a purchase or not. The alternative to the passive Restock Notification email list is to open Restock Pre-Orders for every item on a restock cycle, which would be several hundred if not thousands of pre-orders to manage at any given time... such a thing is untenable and so far not the preferred method based on the majority of customer family feedback we've received over the years. Except for the initial launches of specific prominent categories where a rare Initial Pre-Order is offered, most people prefer to be emailed when a product is ready for actual purchase. Tanks fall into the latter category.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana's RC View Post
                          CAN WE GET ANY UPDATE ON THE TANKS???? BEING IN STOCK AGAIN??? OTHER THAN THE NORMAL??? CLICK THE BUTTON AND WE WILL EMAIL YOU??? THAT IS SO LAME??? AND IM TURED OF HEARING THIS, WEEK, AFTER WEEK, AND MONTH, AFTER MONTH??? WHERE ARE THE TANKS????!!!!!!
                          Great first post, welcome to Hobby Squawk :)
                          TiredIron Aviation
                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

DRC, Hey and Welcome to 'The Squawk'. I get what you're writing and we are all eager to get what we ordered. A little patience is required at times like this. I know that doesn't get you what you want any sooner, but just think of it as a lesson in self-control. Respectfully, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Disregard...

Comment

I found this site last year in I believe it was October, and at that time they were out of tanks, and I left my email to be notified if and when the tanks came in. Well in February I received the email and quickly ordered my tank. A friend also wanted to order one but he procrastinated a couple of days and didn't get the tank he wanted. So my suggestion to you is to check your emails often because Motion RC "WILL" send you an email and if you stall at buying you may be waiting a little longer for that tank.
                                I will say this too "IT'S WORTH WAITING FOR".

Comment

Comment

I just received a new Heng Long KV-1 "Upgrade Edition" from Motion RC. I opened it up to install Red Motors and notices the gears looked different than my other tanks. I put a magnet on the gears and it did not stick. My guess is the Heng Long stuck a Zinc gearbox in this tank. Not sure how to approach Motion about this.

Comment

Originally posted by karltrek View Post
                                      I just received a new Heng Long KV-1 "Upgrade Edition" from Motion RC. I opened it up to install Red Motors and notices the gears looked different than my other tanks. I put a magnet on the gears and it did not stick. My guess is the Heng Long stuck a Zinc gearbox in this tank. Not sure how to approach Motion about this.
                                      It’s not a Motion issue it’s a HL issue. I had this happen to me with a 6.0 KV1 I recently purchased from Toucan. Ordered it with steel gears and all box information indicated steel gear but they were the old Zinc gears. I bet HL was trying to use up old stock and figured it would be quite a long time before anyone figured the switch out. Pretty common practice for Chinese manufacturing companies especially toy makers.

I had Toucan send me a new steel gearbox to replace the Zinc one. Took almost 2 months to arrive.

Good luck with Motion. Hopefully they can get you a replacement sooner then I got mine.

Comment

I sent them an email. I don’t blame Motion. It’s definitely a Heng Long issue.

Comment

Working...
                                        X