You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Is the Mato Metal Track Upgrade Worth $60?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Is the Mato Metal Track Upgrade Worth $60?

Mato has produced "upgrades" for Heng Long's 1/16 scale tanks for years, and also produce their own line of all metal 1/16 scale tanks. I recently purchased Mato's set of Abrams tracks. This is the set that includes rubber pads on both the outer face and the inner face of the tracks, just like the real Abrams. Usually covered in dirt, many out there may not realize that the Abrams' road wheels are capped with rubber, and roll on rubber pads. On the real Abrams, this serves to reduce vibration and stave off track wear. On the RC Abrams, it... looks neat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09986.JPG Views:	7 Size:	127.0 KB ID:	219783 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_46747.jpg
Views:	2063
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	219786
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_46746.jpg
Views:	2044
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	219785Click image for larger version

Name:	image_46745.jpg
Views:	2051
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	219784
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

I have been running Mato's aftermarket track/sprocket set on my Heng Long 1/16 Abrams "Pro Plus" tank for the past several weeks.

Note that my "Pro Plus" version is significantly upgraded from the usual retail "Upgrade" and Professional" versions of the Abrams. My tank uses CNC gearboxes, 390 motors, an all metal lower hull, steel torsion bar suspension with adjustable idlers and full bearing sets, a prototype TK6.1S 160A MFCB, dual smokers, and onboard charging for the 2s 7000mAh battery. Your experience with Mato's tracks may differ depending on your tank's motors, suspension, MFCB, etc.

In the context of my tank, here are my impressions so far of Mato's tracks :

PROs:

1) Pads. Double-sided rubber pads are designed to overlap each other, which increases the holding power of the adhesive and resisting shedding pads. I've run these tracks on gravel, sand, dirt, asphalt, smooth pavement, and grass. So far, I've only lost one outer pad, and replaced it with one of 12 spare outer pads that came with the original set, using E6000 adhesive.

2) Weight. The tracks themselves are heavy and lend a pleasing weight to the tank. I'm about 14 pounds as it sits.

3) Traction. The rubber pads impart excellent traction on all surfaces, even wet paved surfaces and tile floors, where plastic tracks are prone to slipping. I can really "creep" the tank slowly. At full speed, the vibrations are low and the ground rumble is lower than Heng Long's original all-metal pads.

4) Accuracy. I won't get in the weeds over various track cleat/pad shapes, but I will say that I like the sprocket, which is more accurately shaped than the original part, both on the outer ring's inner radius and the inner wall's four holes. It is the same metal, however, so I don't see any strength advantage over Heng Long's cast metal sprocket. I also like the pad shape for this specific variant of Abrams track style.

5) Durability. I don't expect to crack a track anytime soon. I run tanks, I don't bash tanks. So cast metal tracks from Heng Long and Mato are basically a "set it and forget it" type of upgrade for someone who drives tanks like I do.
    CONs (factors worth CONsidering):

1) Price. The set costs about twice as much as "plain" metal tracks, and about four times as much as the plastic tracks. I prefer plastic tracks on many of my tanks, so 4x-5x is quite a price hike by comparison.

2) Fit. Mato's spocket and idler are drop in fits with Heng Long's shaft and mount, respectively, which is a good thing, initially. Mato's idler appears to be identical to Heng Long's idler other than a slightly brighter surface finish on the Mato version. The problem with fit is Mato's sprocket, which didn't fit well with Heng Long's metal tracks, and Heng Long's sprocket didn't feed too well with Mato's track's either. So, for now I need to advise anyone wanting to install Mato tracks should also purchase Mato's idler AND Mato's sprocket. The additional cost is worth the reduced headache.

Heng Long's simplified track link and sprocket are to the left, and Mato replacements are to the right. Notice the nine pieces from Mato that comprise the single piece from Heng Long.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00003.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	221339

3) Finish. These are cast tracks, so expect seam lines along mold parting sections. It's not a deal-breaker, but considering the price... it's worth mentioning.

4) Design. The pin design is also different from Heng Long. With Heng Long tracks, one side of the track pin is smooth. This is the side that you push into the hole first. The other side of the track pin is abraded, and its raised edges provide "grip" to secure the pin in the hole. With Mato's tracks, however, the entire pin is smooth and both ends are smooth, so there is no raised surface on one side to hold the pin in. Rather, then entire pin is intended to hold itself in with friction, meaning you'll need to pound the pin in with more force than Heng Long tracks require. Thankfully, you only need to do this once per track, during the installation phase. It isn't impossible, it just takes some planning and preparation beforehand.

I recommend prepping the two cleats by first using a tiny file or pin vise to slightly open up the inner link. Leave the two holes on the outer face of the tracks exactly as they are, however, since you'll be relying on their friction to hold the pin in, while the inner holes have less friction. I also prep two track pins by linking them together.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00005.JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	221340

I also recommend positioning the two track sides against the sprocket, to serve as a guide as you grip the track and bring the two ends together. Position them overlapping as you would any tank track link, then tap in the pin. I wedged a metal file into place between the track and hull, to counteract that tapping force.The file helps hold the two track sides in place, so I can focus only on aligning the pin as it's being tapped in through each section.

5) Supply and Service. I'm in China and bought these in China from Mato's direct store. I'm unsure if Stateside or European buyers will be able to get these, although I imagine there are various reputable online sources. My point is, check your sources first and research so you know you're buying genuine Mato and not a Mato clone. If you'd like Motion RC to carry Mato products, let us know.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00008.JPG Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	221336

The next step is to age the tracks with AK Interactive's "burnishing liquid", which will allow the tracks to weather more realistically outside in the elements. I'll also add some pigmentation of my own to help things along, same as I did on my Tiger I Early.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC08248.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	221341

Have any of you tried Mato tracks, or are you interested in trying them?
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I own a few sets of the Mato tracks I use/used on my Abrams, Leopard 2, Challenger 2 and T90/72. My experience is that to really get the most out of them one should upgrade the stock 380 motors to the high torque Heng Long "red" or Taigen "black" 390 motors. The rubber pads have a far greater coefficient of friction (grip) then the typical all plastic/metal tracks that come standard on Heng Long Abrams, Leopards and Challengers. This greater grip causes the tank to have difficulty turning on anything but the most smooth of surfaces and puts overly heavy loads on the stock 380 motors, which in turn can cause rapid overheating of the tanks control board or "MFU" as it is commonly known.

These tracks are also far more sensitive to poor track tensioning and tend to loose link end connectors when used in outdoor driving conditions like soft dirt, light or heavy sand, rocky ground and grass. All the fun areas to drive in LOL. I stopped using these tracks on my Abrams, Leopard 2 and Challenger 2 due to the issues of sensitivity to proper tract tensioning (which causes tracks loss aka "de-tracking") and loosing link end connectors.

I have recently though revisited running Mato tracks (and sprockets) on my new Heng Long 6.0 T72 after breaking a few sets of the stock plastic tracks due to some hard running and power upgrades. Since a set of all metal T90 tracks were sitting in my parts bin not being used and knowing the T72 uses the same tracks as the T90, I went ahead and installed the Mato tracks on my T72. They were loose and saggy (not tensioned tight enough) even with a few links removed, I knew they would not work well. But the new 6.0 T72 and 6.0 T90 now come with adjustable idler wheels which can be reset forward and back to tension the track to a proper fit. I used this new system and was pleasantly surprised at how well it works. Compared to my old 5.3 version T90 that did not have an adjustable idler the new 6.0 T72 with the Mato tracks runs outstandingly well in all types of terrain. Something I could have never said about the Mato tracks when used on my old 5.3 T90.

I am excited to get my hands on one of the new Heng Long 6.0 Abrams now coming with adjustable idler wheels and revisiting running Mato tracks on it as well. I have high hopes for the same increase in reliable performance as seen on my Heng Long 6.0 T72. Oh and the issues with the link end connectors coming off? It seems now with being able to adjust for the correct tension this issue in almost a thing of the past (most likely less stress/twisting of the end connectors). We will see if this hold true for their use on the new 6.0 Abrams as well.

Comment

Good information. If upgrading the motors are they the only thing that has to change?

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
          Good information. If upgrading the motors are they the only thing that has to change?
          There are a few easy to install and low cost items that help to get the most out of the upgraded motors.

The sprockets should be changed to metal if not so already equipped from the factory, although I have run the plastic sprockets with metal tracks for a time with the 390 motor upgrades while waiting for metal sprockets to arrive and had no issues. The idler wheel does not need to be changed to metal unless one wants to run an idler with a bearing. Depending on the tank and its overall weight and intended use, I run some with plastic idlers and some with metal idlers yet all utilize metal or melt/rubber padded tracks of some sort. The heavier, more power and longer the tanks the more I suggest metal idlers be installed. Lastly because of the higher rpms the upgrade 390 motors have, I feel the most important change is to add the drive shaft axle bearings as these greatly reduce and help support the axle and sprocket from wobbling.

Generally the basic stock plastic tracks tend to break more with the upgraded 390 motors as these motors do not stall as easily when the tracks and sprockets get packed with dirt and debris so upgrading the tracks to metal is prudent if you want to exploit the extra power and push through rough nasty terrain.

Electronics wise there is nothing needed as the new 6.0 "MFU" can easily handle the power draw of the higher torque 390 motors.

Overall in my opinion especially for the modern tanks like the Abrams, the 390 motors just make them drive smoother and with greater ease. Oh and its top end is a bit faster too.....

Comment

Thank you John. Your knowledge is quite apparent and very welcome. I am looking forward to learning more from you about these impressive contraptions. I am an Abrams fan too by the way. I love the more modern tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
              Very good question.

Comment

I'm all for MotionRC to carry Mato products. At least spare parts. I wouldn't mind their M36 turret and tracks for some kit bashing...I don't know if their T49 tracks will fit a Heng Long though...

Comment

Looks like a great upgrade to me. Worth $60? Yes, but only to those that think so. If you have to ask, probably not for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                    I have been running Mato's aftermarket track/sprocket set on my Heng Long 1/16 Abrams "Pro Plus" tank for the past several weeks.

Note that my "Pro Plus" version is significantly upgraded from the usual retail "Upgrade" and Professional" versions of the Abrams. My tank uses CNC gearboxes, 390 motors, an all metal lower hull, steel torsion bar suspension with adjustable idlers and full bearing sets, a prototype TK6.1S 160A MFCB, dual smokers, and onboard charging for the 2s 7000mAh battery. Your experience with Mato's tracks may differ depending on your tank's motors, suspension, MFCB, etc.

In the context of my tank, here are my impressions so far of Mato's tracks :

PROs:

1) Pads. Double-sided rubber pads are designed to overlap each other, which increases the holding power of the adhesive and resisting shedding pads. I've run these tracks on gravel, sand, dirt, asphalt, smooth pavement, and grass. So far, I've only lost one outer pad, and replaced it with one of 12 spare outer pads that came with the original set, using E6000 adhesive.

2) Weight. The tracks themselves are heavy and lend a pleasing weight to the tank. I'm about 14 pounds as it sits.

3) Traction. The rubber pads impart excellent traction on all surfaces, even wet paved surfaces and tile floors, where plastic tracks are prone to slipping. I can really "creep" the tank slowly. At full speed, the vibrations are low and the ground rumble is lower than Heng Long's original all-metal pads.

4) Accuracy. I won't get in the weeds over various track cleat/pad shapes, but I will say that I like the sprocket, which is more accurately shaped than the original part, both on the outer ring's inner radius and the inner wall's four holes. It is the same metal, however, so I don't see any strength advantage over Heng Long's cast metal sprocket. I also like the pad shape for this specific variant of Abrams track style.

5) Durability. I don't expect to crack a track anytime soon. I run tanks, I don't bash tanks. So cast metal tracks from Heng Long and Mato are basically a "set it and forget it" type of upgrade for someone who drives tanks like I do.
                    CONs (factors worth CONsidering):

1) Price. The set costs about twice as much as "plain" metal tracks, and about four times as much as the plastic tracks. I prefer plastic tracks on many of my tanks, so 4x-5x is quite a price hike by comparison.

2) Fit. Mato's spocket and idler are drop in fits with Heng Long's shaft and mount, respectively, which is a good thing, initially. Mato's idler appears to be identical to Heng Long's idler other than a slightly brighter surface finish on the Mato version. The problem with fit is Mato's sprocket, which didn't fit well with Heng Long's metal tracks, and Heng Long's sprocket didn't feed too well with Mato's track's either. So, for now I need to advise anyone wanting to install Mato tracks should also purchase Mato's idler AND Mato's sprocket. The additional cost is worth the reduced headache.

Heng Long's simplified track link and sprocket are to the left, and Mato replacements are to the right. Notice the nine pieces from Mato that comprise the single piece from Heng Long.
                    Click image for larger version Name:	DSC00003.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	221339

3) Finish. These are cast tracks, so expect seam lines along mold parting sections. It's not a deal-breaker, but considering the price... it's worth mentioning.

4) Design. The pin design is also different from Heng Long. With Heng Long tracks, one side of the track pin is smooth. This is the side that you push into the hole first. The other side of the track pin is abraded, and its raised edges provide "grip" to secure the pin in the hole. With Mato's tracks, however, the entire pin is smooth and both ends are smooth, so there is no raised surface on one side to hold the pin in. Rather, then entire pin is intended to hold itself in with friction, meaning you'll need to pound the pin in with more force than Heng Long tracks require. Thankfully, you only need to do this once per track, during the installation phase. It isn't impossible, it just takes some planning and preparation beforehand.

I recommend prepping the two cleats by first using a tiny file or pin vise to slightly open up the inner link. Leave the two holes on the outer face of the tracks exactly as they are, however, since you'll be relying on their friction to hold the pin in, while the inner holes have less friction. I also prep two track pins by linking them together.
                    Click image for larger version Name:	DSC00005.JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	221340

I also recommend positioning the two track sides against the sprocket, to serve as a guide as you grip the track and bring the two ends together. Position them overlapping as you would any tank track link, then tap in the pin. I wedged a metal file into place between the track and hull, to counteract that tapping force.The file helps hold the two track sides in place, so I can focus only on aligning the pin as it's being tapped in through each section.

5) Supply and Service. I'm in China and bought these in China from Mato's direct store. I'm unsure if Stateside or European buyers will be able to get these, although I imagine there are various reputable online sources. My point is, check your sources first and research so you know you're buying genuine Mato and not a Mato clone. If you'd like Motion RC to carry Mato products, let us know.

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC00008.JPG Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	221336

The next step is to age the tracks with AK Interactive's "burnishing liquid", which will allow the tracks to weather more realistically outside in the elements. I'll also add some pigmentation of my own to help things along, same as I did on my Tiger I Early.
                    Click image for larger version Name:	DSC08248.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	221341

Have any of you tried Mato tracks, or are you interested in trying them?

Comment

Working...
                    X