X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Primer Paint for Armor

Running an RC tank over dirt, gravel, and loose terrain invites occasional dings and scrapes. The stock paint job on most Heng Long tanks is ideal to absorb this sort of punishment because in most cases the ABS plastic is molded in the same color as the paint. In certain instances such as the M4A3 Sherman, the molded color is a lighter green, but even when exposed it appears closer to natural wear.

If you plan to repaint your tank, however, you'll benefit by using a proper primer to give your color coats a strong bond to resist wear and tear. Most RC tanks are made of ABS plastic, but sometimes there are components, parts, or whole tanks made of cast metal or machined metal. In any of these cases, you'll want to use a high quality primer. Different primers have different properties, disadvantages, and advantages. Given the larger scale and harder wear protection preferred by actively running into obstacles, "thinner" primers used for static models isn't recommended because these tend to be thinned to preserve the tiny surface details of scale models. For a 1/16 RC tank, where panel lines are deeper and wider and there's a lot less surface detail, incline yourself toward thicker, more sturdy industrial primers. Think "outdoor lawn chair".

Best Hardware Store Rattle Can Primer:
    Rustoleum Plastic Primer
    Pros: Durable and inexpensive
    Cons: Easy to apply incorrectly, too thickly, or otherwise leading to an overly rough or uneven finish.

Best Hobby Grade Rattle Can Primer:
    Mr. Surfacer 1000
    Pros: Durable and ideal for both plastic and metal parts
    Cons: Expensive and difficult to find.

Best Airbrush Applied Primer:
    Ammo By MIG's "One Shot" Polyurethane Primer

Pros:
    Cons: Expensive, not easy to find in certain parts of the world.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00685.JPG
Views:	782
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	222215

Here are the recommended steps to maximize adhesion:

1) Lightly sand any parts to be painted. Plastic parts can be sanded with 320 or 400 grit sandpaper. Metal parts can be scuffed similarly.
    2) Thoroughly clean the parts with dish soap, followed by wiping the surface with an alcohol towelette to completely remove any oils from the surface.
    3) Apply your primer according to
    4) Wait at least 24 hours for the primer to cure. Most primers can be handled within an hour of painting, but it is best to let the primer fully cure.
    5) Apply your color coats as desired
    6) Seal the color coats with two or three top coats of clear sealer, being sure to use a sealer that is not the same composition as your color coats, otherwise they may run together and ruin your color coats.

Recommended sealers include:

Testor's Dullcote
    WBPU
    Super Clear 1000

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Mig one shot is overpriced rebranded badger stylenrez fwiw
    AMA 1102566

Comment

Good to know! It's cheaper here than Badger, probably because of my location, strange. Or perhaps the hobby shop in Mong Kok is diluting it with water. Btw, I sent you a Skype invite.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
      X