X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customization Log: Heng Long 1/16 M1A2 Abrams "Pro Plus"

Heng Long sells its 1/16 scale RC tanks in four primary editions: Original, Upgrade, Upgrade A, and Professional. The higher the edition, the higher the metal parts content, features, and cost.

The "Pro Plus" is a *possible* fifth tier, envisioned as a very limited production edition above the Professional edition, that I've been working on with Heng Long this year. Essentially, it takes an Abrams Professional Edition (metal road wheels, idler wheel, sprocket, and tracks), and adds the following upgrades:

1) Full metal lower hull, separable from upper hull via CNC clamps (no screws required)
    2) CNC Adjustable idlers
    3) CNC Fully Enclosed gearboxes with steel gears, bearings, and 390 motors with a fast gear ratio befitting a modern MBT
    4) Genuine torsion bar suspension
    5) 2s 7000mAh battery with onboard charging via functional hatch on the rear engine deck (3s capable)
    6) 360 degree turret traverse
    7) Dual smoker units, both upgraded to CNC heaters (Each about 5s the volume produced by the stock smoker unit)
    8) Dual speaker (one bass, one tweeter) in resonance chamber enclosure
    9) Servo driven barrel recoil
    10) LED barrel flash
    11) Barrel smoke (via dedicated smoker inside the turret
    12) Prototype TK6.1S 160 amp MFCB
    13) Retains the use of IR Battle functions
    14) Taillight and turn signal upgrades
    15) Provision for a function APU to power additional beacons or FPV in the turret (3DPUP CITV)

The point of this thread is to document the personal customizations I do over time to this test platform. I also hope to garner feedback and suggestions from other tankers regarding this potential "Pro Plus" series. Are these features that there is a market for, even at this high price point? Which other models would tankers want to see receive the "Pro Plus" treatment, with barrel flash/smoke/recoil, torsion bar suspension, and onboard charging?

Heng Long and Motion RC are willing to meet customer preferences for more elite editions up market, if and when such a demand materializes.

For now, enjoy the journey.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09883.JPG Views:	0 Size:	33.8 KB ID:	222274Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09884.JPG Views:	0 Size:	34.5 KB ID:	222273
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09885.JPG Views:	0 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	222276 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09889.JPG
Views:	3223
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	222277
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

The CNC hull, torsion bar suspension, CNC adjustable idlers, and CNC motors comprise the practical driving performance advantages of the Pro Plus. They create the power, transfer it to the running gear, and ensure the vehicle is rigid while its suspension remains supple. It also makes the darn thing heavy. My all up weight is 20lbs!

A Quick Detach (QD) upper hull is ideal for quickly accessing the interior. No one wants to flip a 20lb tank upside down to unscrew six screws. CNC'd mounts on either side of the hull are simply flexed outward, and the entire upper hull is then pulled back to unseat a CNC'd toe up at the front. The result is that I can remove the upper hull in a single ~3 second motion. Eventually I'll put a QD loom so that the turret loom can be separated with one plug, also. HL's craftsmen hand adjusted the toe anchor for a smooth fit that removes the inconsistencies inherent in mating metal parts to existing molded surfaces. Alignment is important, and this step gets lots of attention.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09933.JPG
Views:	3334
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	222280Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09931.JPG
Views:	3307
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	222281

Onboard charging was another must. A 2s 7000mAh battery is currently included, but a 2s 10,000 could easily fit, or 8.4v, 9.6v, or 11.1v. The onboard charging port and system On/Off switch is currently accessible under a hatch on the engine deck, although it's blocked by the bustle rack with the turret facing forward. I may relocate it to a hatch further aft eventually, but that would require a mold change so for now I just move the turret manually a few clicks to open the hatch door. We plan to add a status LED on the charge port interface. Note also the empty 3-wire port for a possible firmware upgrade port or other peripheral.

Name:	DSC09925.JPG
Views:	3316
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	222282

Removing the upper hull is quick and easy, and reveals the inner bits. Excuse the mess. As I said, it's a work in progress.

Name:	DSC09926.JPG
Views:	3554
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	222279Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09929.JPG
Views:	3364
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	222278

Comment

The tank itself performs excellently on all terrain. The torsion bar suspension works extremely well, a noticeable improvement over the simplified mass production systems. It should be better, because it costs significantly more. I'm normally not the guy who adds "upgrades" just for the sake of saying they're in there, but torsion bar suspension is, to me, worth every penny.

Satisfied with the driving performance, I turn my attention to aesthetics. It's well known that Heng Long's Abrams doesn't include a non-skid coating, so I added my interpretation of one using Tamiya putty, Mr. Surfacer 1000, and several stiff brushes. This is a common technique used by armor modelers to depict different types of surface finishes. I'm not trying to be factory perfect, as most Abrams' coatings were not perfectly consistent, so I set a 45 minute timer and when it rang, I moved on. Tamiya makes a surfacing agent specifically for this type of non-skid surface, but I can't find it here in China, so I made do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09936.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	222285Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09938.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	222286

After a quick coat of primer, I cut out the doghouse doors with a hobby knife. A proper hobby saw would have been quicker, but overall I find Heng Long's plastic upper hull and turret to be really nice to work with. It's easy to cut, file, shape, sand, and weld with ABS glue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09941.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	222288Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09943.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	222289

I also cut out the port side sprocket guard, as seen in the photo below, just to break up the monotony of the side skirts, worked on a few details, then prepared for paint.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_47617.jpg Views:	3 Size:	113.6 KB ID:	222284

Comment

Paint happened... fast forward...

I airbrushed the tank in NATO colors using AK Interactive's NATO Camo set for the Leopard 2. It's a sharp contrast compared to my desert Abrams, but not for long. To the right is one of the reference photos from which I am drawing inspiration. I have always been drawn to how the sand seems to be trying to return this NATO camo Abrams back to the more common desert sand paint scheme. It's a hybrid of both schemes! Before I go any further, let me say to my friends the rivet counters out there, I'm not going for a perfectly scale upper hull or a perfect replication of a single tank with this specific tank. Rather, I'm blending elements as I prefer.

Name:	DSC09955.JPG
Views:	3217
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	222293Click image for larger version

Name:	fd27fd4abc2338b62d94d64fd3273152.jpg
Views:	3251
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	222294

While I know that eventually 90% of my weathering will be covered up by simulated sand/dust pigments and powders, I will still know it's there underneath. Additionally, I think that the secret to depth in scale modeling is layers, layers, layers. With that in mind, I begin with a series of washes that I'm testing from a factory here in China. Again I set a 60 minute timer and went as quickly as I could while still being deliberate. 11 different colored washes were used. I also used AMMO-by-Mig's "Streaking Grime"

Name:	DSC09962.JPG
Views:	3184
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	222295Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09960.JPG
Views:	3115
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	222296

Name:	DSC09964.JPG
Views:	3208
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	222297Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09966.JPG
Views:	3201
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	222298

Satisfied by the time the timer rang, I sealed everything with Tamiya clear. Note, I didn't apply the hairspray chipping technique because on an Abrams hull there isn't usually a lot of chipping, at least not the 3 layer kind that is benefited by the hairspray technique. The road wheels, however, are an entirely different project, which I will get to much later when I have another hour to spare!

Comment

Next: Pigments! This is a surprisingly nuanced technique, that I haven't mastered. These are finely, finely ground pigments. So fine, in fact, that they can be airbrushed. For this tank, however, I apply them with a makeup applicator, using the brush end and the padded end. The brush blots and blends, while the pad separates and defines. I have several colors of these pigments --essentially expensive colored dirt-- but with the Abrams' color palette, I confined use to just eight.

Wanting to finish the rest of the chapter of my audiobook entitled "Winston Churchill: Walking With Destiny", I spent the remaining 40 minutes at this stage. Half of that time was spent on the "oil stains" on the front glacis from my reference photo. I will need to tidy this up with a "wet look" wash after this pigment stage, but it's important to lay down the base of the "oil" or whatever crud that is in the real tank's photo.

Name:	DSC09974.JPG
Views:	3302
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	222301Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09970.JPG
Views:	3198
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	222302Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09976.JPG
Views:	3217
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	222300Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09968.JPG
Views:	3120
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	222305

I've seen many Abrams, including the one in my inspiration reference photos, with duct taped/velcro along the turret. I used toothpick wrappers, abundant here in China with all the takeout food I order, to simulate the textured surface. It was quick, free, and will be neat knowing that I have toothpick wrappers disguised on my fancy pricey tank. Note the sags, also. I need to continue this effect up and around the main cannon and connect it to the other side. If anyone knows what that strapping is used for, please share!

Name:	DSC09979.JPG
Views:	3250
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	222303Click image for larger version

Name:	6e285f3d6f19908088424ee830bbec4c.jpg
Views:	3309
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	222304

Comment

Subscribe to this thread and stay tuned for future updates!

FPV-enabled CITV
            Functional APU
            Beacon

Name:	bbkth3.jpg
Views:	3098
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	222307

Comment

Given most of us are also plastic modelers doing weathering and special effects will produce some great results.

Comment

The Abrams' APU ("Auxiliary Power Unit") is mounted on the rear bustle rack of the Abrams' turret. I noticed that it was empty, and that it perfectly fit a 2s 350mAh battery from one of my XK Innovations micro gliders. I rigged a switch and a 7.4V-to-5V DC/DC converter, and my APU is actually functional! It provides 5V of power to a beacon or an FPV camera.

Name:	DSC09335.JPG
Views:	3379
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	222776

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                  The Abrams' APU ("Auxiliary Power Unit") is mounted on the rear bustle rack of the Abrams' turret. I noticed that it was empty, and that it perfectly fit a 2s 350mAh battery from one of my XK Innovations micro gliders. I rigged a switch and a 7.4V-to-5V DC/DC converter, and my APU is actually functional! It provides 5V of power to a beacon or an FPV camera.

Name:	DSC09335.JPG
Views:	3379
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	222776
                  Excellent idea! The Abrams is definitely my favorite and I am ready for a pre-order button with the whole shebang!

Comment

Alpha,

Are you going to show how to add smoke and glow to the barrel?

Love what you are doing to the tank, keep it up!

Comment

Alpha,
                      The velcro stripping along the front, sides and rear of the Abrams, if fact most US vehicular combat systems, is so crews can attach the I-MILES CVTESS (Instrument-able Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System Combat Vehicle Tactical Engagement Simulation System) receivers to all sides of the vehicle. MILES is used in training to simulate direct fire engagements and the velcro retains receiver sensors that register hits. Often times, this velco is glued to the metal and is not removed after the exercise is over. The tank will also have a shot launcher attached to the bar above the main gun barrel. The launcher is loaded with a smoke pyrotechnic to simulate main gun fire.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Davy101 Thank you for the knowledge, I appreciate the opportunity to learn! That's quite an acronym!

Comment

Originally posted by Pilot.Vrf201 View Post
                          Alpha,

Are you going to show how to add smoke and glow to the barrel?

Love what you are doing to the tank, keep it up!
                          Thanks! Yes, I plan to show more of the inside of the tank as time goes on. Currently though my limited weekly tanker time is filled working on another upcoming project. I'll create a separate thread for this in the coming week or two. Serious tankers will probably recognize where we're trying to drive Heng Long to in the future...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191122_193939.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.7 KB ID:	224724Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191122_194102.jpg Views:	0 Size:	240.8 KB ID:	224725

Comment

Can’t wait to see these up close.

Comment

Very nice tank!!!

Comment

Can anyone help me with my tank? I'm having issues

Comment

What is the lenght Of the abrams and challenger not including the barrell?

Comment

Originally posted by Tankme View Post
                                    Can anyone help me with my tank? I'm having issues
                                    Would help to know what the issue are?

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyd View Post
                                      What is the lenght Of the abrams and challenger not including the barrell?
                                      I don’t have the exact measurements off hand but I do own both tanks. The Challenger hull is ~1 to 1.5cm longer with the rear fuel drums removed. With the fuel drums attached the Challengers length is ~ 4cm longer.

The Challenger 2 is easily the overall largest of the 1/16 Heng Long tanks.

Comment

Thank you..
                                        been wanting for a long time to get back into tanks..I have a grandson and stepson that love then.. I am going to make some kind of Playfield in my yard... My tanks are the 1/6 stuart tank, bought it new at walmart. 21st century 1/9 tank, marui type 90 tank 1/24.. And hen long tiger 1/16 purchase all new,
                                        I am will be adding a few more tanks. Tiger 2, I will get one or the other tanks mentioned in my post along with a all metal tiger. Almost forgot I have an abrams 1/ 35

Comment

Working...
                                        X