Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review and Discuss: Heng Long 1/16 Scale "M4A3 Sherman" Tank

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry if I missed it but is there a thread for custom parts, not just upgrade mechanics, for different versions or other scale details for the M4?

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
      Sorry if I missed it but is there a thread for custom parts, not just upgrade mechanics, for different versions or other scale details for the M4?
      Not here yet though just google search “1/16 RC Sherman parts” sit back and enjoy......

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Not here yet though just google search “1/16 RC Sherman parts” sit back and enjoy......
        OK, thanks.

Comment

My son has the basic model and we are looking to upgrade by adding metal tracks - this seems simple enough. The other upgrade we are considering is adding to the current BB setup by adding IR so he can battle against similar fitted tanks - is this upgrade possible for the basic heng long model ?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP57 View Post
            My son has the basic model and we are looking to upgrade by adding metal tracks - this seems simple enough. The other upgrade we are considering is adding to the current BB setup by adding IR so he can battle against similar fitted tanks - is this upgrade possible for the basic heng long model ?
            It is possible sure but you would have to upgrade the control board. But in reality, anything is possible with enough determination

Comment

super thanks - Im totally new to tanks myself and my lad has always had cars - my specialty has always been boats

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP57 View Post
                When you say basic model what do you mean. Is it an older tank like a year old or more? Is it just a basic 6.0 version?

Comment

Looking for advice on how to dismantle the HL bogie.... One of them broke off and now I'm trying to dismantle it for the repair I have in mind. For the life of me can't get the plug on the outside to budge.. Can I drift the plug out from the inside without damaging the inside of the assembly? What do they look like when apart?

Click image for larger version

Name:	HL_Sherman_MetalBogie01.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	247481

Name:	HL_Sherman_MetalBogie02.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	247482

Comment

Finally found a somewhat useful picture on the web for un-installed HL bogie's. Looks like I have to get the plug out somehow.......darn it. Alpha, can you put an order in for replacement metal plugs? May have to drill it out and use a plastic one for the time being..

The proper way for them to be installed and removed from the hull requires them to be disassembled to get to the lower hull screw..

Click image for larger version  Name:	HL_Sherman_MetalBogie03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	247510

Comment

HL doesn't produce metal bogies for their Sherman. The metal bogies you're looking at here are made from third party shops. I was surprised when HL told me that, but they told me that to my face while standing in the HL foundry, so, I believe them. They also did not have any metal Sherman bogies on their spare parts price list, and their Pro version doesn't have metal bogies, so, again, I believe them. The good news is that they did comment that most metal Sherman bogies on the aftermarket do fit. It seems sellers will market them as "Heng Long", which we English speakers interpret as "Made by Heng Long", when in reality a more accurate descriptor would be "Made to fit Heng Long". So it shouldn't too much of a chore, if not a breeze, to install them onto a Heng Long hull, in the same way that Mato wheels were drop in fits to my Abrams.

Also, for any new spare parts requests, keep in mind that Squawk isn't an official Motion RC Support channel, so officially please call the CS Team at 224-633-9090 or email at motionrc.com/support to get a technician to create a New Spare Parts Request. They will then follow our internal process to document the request and plot its progress.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Curious, I guess I need to find who makes them.. I found two companies that sell HL tanks and they call this Sherman version 3898-2. They must do their own upgrade. The bogies are very well made.

Comment

Curious, I guess I need to find who makes them.. I found two companies that sell HL tanks and they call this Sherman version 3898-2. They must do their own upgrade. The bogies are very well made.
                          Most likely they are Mato bogies. How did it come off the tank? I will check with the Sherman guru RichJohnson and see what he say. You can also PM him and ask. Super nice guy and he will have an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Most likely they are Mato bogies. How did it come off the tank? I will check with the Sherman guru RichJohnson and see what he say. You can also PM him and ask. Super nice guy and he will have an answer.
                            They don't look like Mato's. Different attachment.. At least I didn't notice the outside screw plug on the Mato's.

Comment

They don't look like Mato's. Different attachment.. At least I didn't notice the outside screw plug on the Mato's.
                              Take a look at Taigen / Torro. They use a lot of HL parts in their tanks.

Comment

I think I found them. Must be a third party as Torro and Taigen both look a little different.

Here's a link that must be them.
                                Forgebear Tanks are Taigens UK authorised distributor and supplier. All Taigen parts listed are genuine. We also stock 1:16 scale tanks and parts from various manufacturers, such as Atak, Heng Long, Voyager, Hooben, Aber, SOL, DKLM, Mato and Tamiya.

Comment

One of them broke off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HL_Sherman_BogieBreak01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	247579

Notice the second lower screw isn't installed. I checked and they aren't installed on any of them.
                                  You would have to split the bogie to install the lower screw and then assemble it in place on the hull.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HL_Sherman_BogieBreak02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	247580

I have a call into the company I purchased it from. They haven't responded yet..

Comment

What about running a pin punch through were the screwboss broke off and tapping that plug out from the back side?

Comment

There was a small dab of glue holding the metal plug in place. After heating the plug with a soldering iron it came right out. Bogie is easily separated for install or painting. I contacted ForgeBear about these since they were the only folks I've found that sells them separately and they said individual parts aren't available. Only complete units. He didn't say who the manufacturer was but said they're made in China.

Name:	HL_Sherman_MetalBogie04.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	247675

Comment

While waiting on my axle repair to setup I tried my hand at more involved figure painting. My previous experience was tiny 1/48 and 1/32 scale pilots. Anyway, here's what I have done on "Crazy Joe" as I've read that the UK R/C Tankers call him...

Name:	Joe_01.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	248224

Comment

Wow! Awesome work, Beeg.

Comment

Working...
                                          X