Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GregH
    replied
    Bob, your DAK panzerIII looks great. Good job.

Leave a comment:

• quitcherbitchen
    replied
    Very Nice Bob.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalBobS
    replied
    Tunisia 1942!

I took my completed Panzer III L for an outdoor photo shoot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Panzer III 14.JPG
Views:	948
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	290572

Name:	Panzer III 12.JPG
Views:	947
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	290573

Name:	Panzer III 15.JPG
Views:	913
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	290574

Name:	Panzer III 10.JPG
Views:	914
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	290575

Name:	Panzer III 11.JPG
Views:	930
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	290576

Name:	Panzer III 13.JPG
Views:	929
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	290577

Leave a comment:

• dai phan
    replied
    Hi gang...

Reworked the Torro Tiger crew by repositioning the right arm, puttied and repainted. The dude is held on by hot glue. Dai
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dai phan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

As just static displays that would be entered into a model show or placed on display in a museum, HL tanks would not be my first choice. They are what the are a TOY base to build off of to ones level of want. MANY folks build them up into quite outstanding looking and running models. It takes a lot of work which I have no interest or time for and my hat goes off to these folks for their dedication to the historical art side of this hobby.
    I look at the real Tiger pictures and compared with the HL one. I must say the HL is a representation of the actual thing. In the radio control A/C world, they are called " fun scale or stand off scale". I have seen some well detailed HL tanks on YT but you are right, not accurate enough for static considerations. I think my 7th tank will be a Tamiya because I want to know how detailed they are compared to the HL ones. Dai

Leave a comment:

• Rubicon99
    replied
    Originally posted by dai phan View Post

Since the outline is questionable ( no amount of PE parts, detailing can correct it) , saying they are good enough for static display is quite a huge fantasy? Dai
    As just static displays that would be entered into a model show or placed on display in a museum, HL tanks would not be my first choice. They are what the are a TOY base to build off of to ones level of want. MANY folks build them up into quite outstanding looking and running models. It takes a lot of work which I have no interest or time for and my hat goes off to these folks for their dedication to the historical art side of this hobby.

Leave a comment:

• dai phan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
    They range from poor to fair in most aspects, but this gives them just enough to look decent to 95% of their target market which is not modelers, but younger “RTR” RC users. They are nowhere near Tamiya levels in accuracy, but then even Tamiya is not overly accurate on some of their 1/16 tanks.

Being fair in accuracy makes the HL tanks relatively easy to bring up to “good” levels with the right aftermarket parts, paint and a bit of “hobby’n skill”.
    Since the outline is questionable ( no amount of PE parts, detailing can correct it) , saying they are good enough for static display is quite a huge fantasy? Dai

Leave a comment:

• Vaseline
    replied

Name:	Sherman Firefly.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	285263

Leave a comment:

• Rubicon99
    replied
    Originally posted by dai phan View Post
    Anyone knows how accurate the HL molds are? Dai
    They range from poor to fair in most aspects, but this gives them just enough to look decent to 95% of their target market which is not modelers, but younger “RTR” RC users. They are nowhere near Tamiya levels in accuracy, but then even Tamiya is not overly accurate on some of their 1/16 tanks.

Being fair in accuracy makes the HL tanks relatively easy to bring up to “good” levels with the right aftermarket parts, paint and a bit of “hobby’n skill”.

Leave a comment:

• dai phan
    replied
    Anyone knows how accurate the HL molds are? Dai

Leave a comment:

• GregH
    replied
    Great looking Sherman SoCalBob.

Finished, we are never really finished , the re-paint of the plastic tracks.
    What color was the question. There are many great pics in this thread to choose from.
    I decided on medium dark grayish over the brown-rust combo I originally tried.
    The german ww2 tanks used a steel & manganese alloy. Manganese is a natural medium-dark gray, it would take a long time for them to "rust", When manganese ages it actually gets darker gray before the usual rust color. Besides, how many really lasted that long on either front to rust ?

If the ground around here was not so hard from the lack of rain, I would pick up the natural dirt color from driving it around.

Name:	PantherG-tracks2.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	284966Click image for larger version

Name:	PantherG-tracks1.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	284967

Leave a comment:

• SoCalBobS
    replied
    Thanks guys! I really enjoy taking a basic toy-looking tank and seeing what can be done. HL molds, whether they are super accurate or not, are so tank-y! Wish there were more....

Leave a comment:

• dai phan
    replied
    Damnation ! These look soooooooooooooooo realistic! Dai

Leave a comment:

• James
    replied
    Looks so good SoCalBobS !

Leave a comment:

• Rubicon99
    replied
    Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
    I decided, no spray-on, only real dirt!

Name:	EB40C20F-2813-499A-A918-33CEB976E1A9.jpeg
Views:	568
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	284321

Name:	A3253A6A-1946-4232-BCB2-D5E14DBD6177.jpeg
Views:	530
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	284322
    Real dirt is best!!! Just don’t blow it off, instead gently brush it off with a soft wide paint brush. This removes most of the dust and dirt but leave some behind in the nooks and crannies. It also will slightly dull you paint over time👍 and add even more to the worn used look.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalBobS
    replied
    I decided, no spray-on, only real dirt!

Name:	EB40C20F-2813-499A-A918-33CEB976E1A9.jpeg
Views:	568
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	284321

Name:	A3253A6A-1946-4232-BCB2-D5E14DBD6177.jpeg
Views:	530
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	284322

Leave a comment:

• Rubicon99
    replied
    This was a requested build for a “Cold War” era Middle East desert themed T34-85.

It is a Pro Edition with all metal running gear and barrel recoil. The airsoft feature is disabled but barrel recoil was retained and its timing was adjust to match the cannon flash and sound. I also upgraded to a high output IR bulb and LegoDEI 360 IR receiver for increased IR battling lethality. Motors have been changed to Taigen black 380s. These are smoother running with slightly more torque then the stock HL motors.

Fun fast and easy build. Shown below parked next to a typical green T34-85. I made a short video of the two T34s playing follow the leader on my Instagram @ fsttanks. Feel free to take a look.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7D2ECFF7-02D8-4766-B7D3-249356943932.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	346.3 KB ID:	284205

Leave a comment:

• Rubicon99
    replied
    Deadly desert rivals.....M51 “SuperSherman” vs T34-85.

Name:	217F26DA-477B-4F85-A599-D8FD695A142D.jpeg
Views:	553
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	284135

Leave a comment:

• SoCalBobS
    replied
    My customized M4 Sherman. I mistakenly bought a "snow" Sherman, painted white. Not an issue, since I'd planned to repaint it anyway. The decals are Archer Fine Transfers, a product I highly recommend. I just installed the long barrel. Toucan sells it as the "Fury" barrel, but I wouldn't be surprised that it is the Panther G barrel. Looks long enough! I'm still working on the finish, wondering whether I should airbrush a dirt/dust layer on the undercarriage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	M4 Sherman 02.JPEG Views:	18 Size:	284.2 KB ID:	284000

Leave a comment:

• Rdex2
    replied
    Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
    Rdex2,
    I like the light on the top of your Abrams.
    Is it used on the real ones also?
    Steve
    Thank you, Steve. I have seen beacon light on this web.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/unit..._11610155.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X