Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version  Name:	G1nQxiO.jpg Views:	5 Size:	358.9 KB ID:	375913My Jagdpanther finally outside doing some hunting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJkb96w.jpg Views:	6 Size:	343.1 KB ID:	375910Click image for larger version  Name:	p0ZzLA5.jpg Views:	5 Size:	393.2 KB ID:	375911Click image for larger version  Name:	rxJDCRy.jpg Views:	5 Size:	356.7 KB ID:	375912Click image for larger version  Name:	Q7pAzfe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	415.0 KB ID:	375921I made the camo net from cheesecloth, Elmers glue and Tamiya paint

Comment

• Another centurion run

I gave up on the cam trailer for now and mounted the camera on one of the tanks. This gave a much more stable platform, eliminating most of the vibration problem. As with the previous video, both tanks are controlled by one transmitter. My right hand controls the lead tank and my left hand controls the rear tank. Still learning how to do this. My only significant error on this run was right after the firing sequence. I accidentally started the lead tank at the higher speed setting, so it jack-rabbited a bit. I hope to soon start pitting the two tanks against something that shoots back. I also need to tighten up the mount for the rear tanks IR battle receiver.

Comment

• Really unique, OW.

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

• That Centurion video is great. Almost looked and sounded like riding on top of a real tank

Comment

• That Centurion video is great. Almost looked and sounded like riding on top of a real tank. Sorry for the triple post. Have no idea how that happened

Comment

• oldwolf, it looks like you are getting the hang of driving 2 tanks. Great video! I love the perspective.

Comment

• Thanks for all the kind words. Today I am working on tank maintenance. Sometime in the last month the commanders hatch cover went missing, so I am making a replacement. It may be in the house. One of my cats may have rubbed against it and knocked it off. Then it would have batted it around as a toy, so it could be anywhere. I am also putting the barrel lock back on one of them. I know that came off due to one of my cats, I found it sitting on top of a baseboard radiator. Held there by the magnetic latch I put on it. Cats would have hidden that too if it hadnt stuck to the steel radiator cover!

Comment

• Two videos and a picture today. I took the centurions on a more difficult trail, so less of both running at the same time since running one on the more difficult ground took my full attention. All went well until a bit over half way. The rear centurion got hung up on a half inch diameter bush stem. It jammed underneath, wedged between track and hull. Well and truly stuck I heard some snapping that I suspected were track extensions being broken. As the picture shows, they were, five of them. Fortunately this doesn't stop the track from working. At that point I decided to stop the video, extricate the tank and then finish the run as a second video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	376432

Comment

• Great videos again sir. Thank you for sharing. Definitely a good idea to have the guns turned around when you were in the more challenging sections. Are those tracks metal or plastic that broke? It's not immediately clear and thank the tank gods you didn't damage any other running gear but that's the game when we run them in the wild.

I continue to love the First Person View. What camera and mount are you using?

Good Stuff Oldwolf,

Best,

Chef

Comment

• Those are the original tamiya plastic track. I considered getting metal but have refrained for a few reasons. 1. The damage doesn't interfere with the track working. 2. If the track extensions didnt break, where would the force go and what might break instead? Better a broken track extension than a stripped gear. 3. The real track sometimes fails like this as well, though not as often. Consider it weathering!

Comment

• Originally posted by oldwolf View Post
                        Those are the original tamiya plastic track. I considered getting metal but have refrained for a few reasons. 1. The damage doesn't interfere with the track working. 2. If the track extensions didnt break, where would the force go and what might break instead? Better a broken track extension than a stripped gear. 3. The real track sometimes fails like this as well, though not as often. Consider it weathering!
                        This is way I went back to Tamiya track vs the DKLM metal track. Not only worried about the gears but the idler attachment arms. The little locking "wing" on the arm just gives me pause to how much force it can take before stripping out.

On another note Just out of curiosity have you tried swapping the Haya tracks onto the Tamiya or vice ver-as? It is suspected that the DKLM metal tracks are actually Haya tracks off one of the pre production runs for the Haya tank. Might be interested to prove or disprove this should the track be or not be interchangeable.

For those that don't know what the Tamiya idler arm locking "wing" looks like. Yes that little tiny line on the arm is all that holds it.

Name:	B42F65A2-BAE1-477B-B5C1-631274DECAB0.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	376450
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

On another note Just out of curiosity have you tried swapping the Haya tracks onto the Tamiya or vice ver-as? It is suspected that the DKLM metal tracks are actually Haya tracks off one of the pre production runs for the Haya tank. Might be interested to prove or disprove this should the track be or not be interchangeable.
                          I have not. What I am more interested in getting is a full spare set of Tamiya track. Since I would use them one link at a time as links on the installed track fail, they should last a lifetime.

Comment

I have not. What I am more interested in getting is a full spare set of Tamiya track. Since I would use them one link at a time as links on the installed track fail, they should last a lifetime.
                            I think spare links and full sets are available now on the Tamiya USA web site.

Comment

• So for something different...

...what to do with a bunch of spare parts and you want to test IR receiver function? Why, build a "tankless turret"!

I had an extra Sherman turret from some conversion projects, and an HL MFU that one motor circuit had failed. With that and some wires, bulbs and a switch, I rigged this up:

Name:	IMG_3476.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	376457Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3475.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	376456

There's a light on top in the headlight circuit to indicate power on, and a light in the barrel in the muzzle flash circuit to indicate when I fire. Still gotta use a transmitter to fire, but the unit is a lot more portable than a second full tank when doing bench testing.
                              Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

• First video of an IR battle with the centurions vs anti tank target.

The 2 tanks are using legodei receivers and high intensity IR bulbs recessed 20mm firing through a 4mm aperture. Their opponent / target has its IR bulb recessed 10mm firing through a 6mm aperture. The opponent / target is a small black rectangle that flashes a faint blue led every 3 seconds, indicating it has fired its IR. Once it is knocked out it rapidly flashes a red led.
                                The tanks were each set to be knocked out on the third hit. The anti tank target was set to be knocked out on the second hit.
                                One tank was knocked out and the other had taken two hits before it knocked out the target. Having taken two hits of damage the surviving tank had a slow, difficult trip back to its starting point. But it made it.

This was a fun exercise. Trying to run the two tanks in a combat training setting was quite challenging. I may need to re-think how I have the controls set up.

Comment

First video of an IR battle with the centurions vs anti tank target.
                                  That looks like a fun exercise.

Where do you get those anti-tank targets? do they work with Heng Long IR?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrChef View Post

That looks like a fun exercise.

Where do you get those anti-tank targets? do they work with Heng Long IR?
                                    LegoDEI sells them on Etsy and they do work with Heng Long or any other using the Tamiya hit code. He calls them an anti-tank mine but I deploy them stood up on end as more of an anti-tank missile or gun. They are very versatile. He doesn't always have them in stock. If he doesn't, they may not be listed. If you don't see them, contact him, he will probably do a production run if he knows there is demand.

Comment

• M60 troop fun run at the San Diego tank clubs April 2023 meet. It's not all battles sometimes it's just about a game of follow the leader. Video is up on my Instagram @ fsttanks
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	535F5AED-CAC3-43A2-88FB-1001E4D1C004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.6 KB ID:	376539Click image for larger version  Name:	C71582E8-FDFD-48B7-AC18-29042105A407.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.7 KB ID:	376534Click image for larger version  Name:	A223489A-543D-44B9-9637-D8B2DCD64A14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	253.2 KB ID:	376535Click image for larger version  Name:	87A8907A-A603-4241-8DAD-C49ADA1EE552.jpg Views:	0 Size:	421.0 KB ID:	376538Click image for larger version  Name:	34940003-FB25-4D4B-AB7F-FDE492832134.jpg Views:	0 Size:	418.3 KB ID:	376537Click image for larger version  Name:	9A684D5D-2FF0-46FA-9678-E0326858964A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	483.8 KB ID:	376536

Comment

• They look great!

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230429_121308132.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.5 KB ID:	376671Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230429_073733307_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.1 KB ID:	376672Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230429_170037641_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.0 KB ID:	376669Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230429_165753940_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.3 KB ID:	376670
                                          Chehalis, WA Veterans Memorial Museum, NORDPAC Battle 29-30 April 2023

Comment

Working...
                                          X