X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR Battle Systems?...... Heng Long 6.0 vs Tamiya

With the new Heng Long 6.0 systems having the ability to "give and receive" IR hits with the industry standard Tamiya systems whole new doors have opened up for the R/C tank hobby. Unfortunately there are still some drawbacks that can cause resistance to the use of the 6.0 system with many established clubs that base their IR battles around the "Tamiya standards". Because of this, I have been working with a few clubs to establish ways to best interface the two systems for fair and fun IR play between the old school Tamiya die hard tankers and the new Heng Long tankers.

The following is a SHORT SUMMARY of what has been found to work well by providing an overall balance in tank on tank IR performance.

First the 6.0 drawbacks.

1.) The total number of hits are set a 6 and this can not be reset to match a weight class.
    2.) The rate of fire can not be reset to match a weight class.
    3.) Lack of good LED hit indicators.
    4.) No speed reduction when hit to simulate a damaged tank.
    5.) IR emitter not recessed far enough in the tank to stop a "shot gun blast" effect.
    6.) 6.0 IR receiver lack of receiving hits in mid day sunlight.

Ideas we have tried and found to work out well enough to overcome the drawbacks.

1.) To reduce the the number of hits to match those of the "Tamiya standards" we simply "put" a few hits (by shooting them) on the 6.0 tank prior to the start of each battle. Example would be fighting as a light tank which is only 3 hits. This means shooting the 6.0 tank three time prior to the start of a battle. Or a medium tank which is 5 hits would mean shooting the 6.0 tank once. This takes only a few moments to accomplish and evens out the number of hits to match the "Tamiya standards". There is still a gap for between the heavy tank setting which is 9, so the 6.0 tank would now be a little handicapped, but fewer hits tend to be more acceptable to most clubs then too many.

2.) The 6.0 system can fire about as fast as one can "pull the trigger" after the track recoil cycle is complete. This means it can shoot far faster then even the light tank setting which is one shot every 3 seconds. There is no way to set the rate of fire so it becomes an issue of integrity on the part of the operator to count the appropriate number of seconds between shots. 3 second for a light tank, 5 seconds for a medium tank and 9 seconds for a heavy tank. It is easy to monitor and if the operator(s) becomes over zealous with the trigger it is OK to remind him/her to slow down.

3.) Sorry this one there is no real fast easy fix. There are ways with the 6.0 system to add LEDs that can be made to function like hit indicators, but this is often more of an intermediate skill then many new players will have at first.

4.) The 6.0 system has no speed reduction to simulate damage after being hit. This means the 6.0 tank will have a speed advantage over a "Tamiya standard" tank for a give hit for hit count (battle). What helps even out the odds is to run the 6.0 tank on the low power/speed setting only. This provides a speed advantage to the "Tamiya standard" tank at the start and middle of a battle, yet provides the 6.0 tank an advantage near the end of a battle.

5.) The accepted standard for the emitter recess inside the tank turret or barrel is 9mm. This is to reduce the "shot gun blast" effect of the IR bulbs. The 6.0 tanks have their emitters recessed on average only 4mm. Is this a big issue? Not that we have found, it only gives slight advantage in that the 6.0 tanks aim does not have to be as good. For new players we find this acceptable as it gives the time to learn how to aim and enjoy being able to make hits. For more experienced players we do ask them to adjust the recess.

6.) The new IR receivers the 6.0 system uses are much better then prior ones offered by Heng Long, but have shown they are not reliable when used in direct sunlight (noon hours) much past 10ft. Since most clubs battle outdoors it can become too big of an advantage for the 6.0 tank as it will not register hits. To extend their usefulness adding a homemade "sunshade" to the receiver helps and bring the reliability up, but still nowhere near that of the Tamiya IR receiver. We ask those using the 6.0 tanks with "sunshades" that when battling at certain times of the day that they do not engage others further then they themselves can receive a hit which is about 35 feet. This like the firing rate mentioned above can become an issue of player integrity though it to is easily seen and is OK to address with the player. After all no one wants an obvious cheat playing with them. If the 6.0 tank does not have a sunshade during direct sunlight hours, unfortunately they are unable to play. Hopefully Heng Long will address this issue with a quality aftermarket IR receiver.

Please feel free to present your constructive ideas and help add to the ways in which to best integrate the two system.

NOTE: I will be posting photos of a few homemade "sunshades" that are working well so everyone can have idea of a direction to start at if they wish to make one.

Simple homemade “sunshades” for Heng Long 6.0 IR receiver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9E43C78D-2ED6-490E-BCAF-F06E594C242C.jpeg
Views:	2759
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	223815

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
      Simple homemade “sunshades” for Heng Long 6.0 IR receiver.

Name:	9E43C78D-2ED6-490E-BCAF-F06E594C242C.jpeg
Views:	2759
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	223815
      I understand the one on the right but what comprises the one on the left?

Comment

Also, with respect to #3 above, what kind of hit indicators are you referring to and how hard are they to add? Could a tutorial be done that could help?

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
          Also, with respect to #3 above, what kind of hit indicators are you referring to and how hard are they to add? Could a tutorial be done that could help?
          Yes. A generalized tutorial can be done as the subject of another thread. I touched on this modification in a recent thread “Heng Long T34 build” where I added the option for them on to my T34. The process for adapting hit LEDs varies from tank to tank depending on if the tank has brake/head light options or not as the LEDs will be using the slot for brake/head lights on the 6.0 MFU or being spliced into the wiring for the brake/head lights. They then need to be routed into the turret and out one of the hatch’s so to be clearly visible. This is why I indicated it was an intermediate skill level.

I will work up a short tutorial on the process and how to use it as a hit indicator. Should be up in the next day or so.

Comment

I understand the one on the right but what comprises the one on the left?
            The left one is comprised of thinner yet larger diameter “fins”. It was taken from a Tamiya IR receiver that was not being used. The left one is slightly more effective then the right one, the cost to make another copy is quite high and outweighs the difference in effectiveness.

Comment

I'll draw up a 3DPUP file for a sun shield that fits around Heng Long's TK6 receiver apple, then post it in the 3D File Exchange thread tonight. Users can 3D print it themselves. In the future I can look into mass producing it if/as the demand grows.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Alpha that is a great idea, however, even many of us advanced modelers dont have a 3d printer. I cant do cad so i couldnt justifty a printer to the quality i would demand. How about also uploading it to shapeways for those that dont have a printer.
                RC tank parts and accessories I make
                www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Usually Squawkers just upload on the forum, then people without printers will upload or send to Shapeways somehow. I'm not familiar with the exact mechanism to upload directly to Shapeways. Perhaps someone can put it on Thingiverse and just backlink here to Hobby Squawk. There are several guys here who have become very proficient this 3DP. Elbee, Dirty Dee, Radar-Guy, and others.

Project Dreams: Blue Angels F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Jet from Freewing & Motion RC Official Thread https://www.hobbysquawk.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==https://www.hobbysquawk.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==https://

I threw this together tonight. Testing over the weekend. It's intended to house a reflector inside the cover, and uses angled slits to reduce overhead glare with minimal reception loss. I'll have to paint it black first, though!

Name:	IMG_20191219_225851.jpg
Views:	2439
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	223919Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191219_230851.jpg
Views:	2442
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	223917

Name:	IMG_20191220_001332.jpg
Views:	2497
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	223916Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191219_231048.jpg
Views:	2432
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	223918

Comment

That looks awesome Alpha!
                    Great work!

Bring on the tanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                      Usually Squawkers just upload on the forum, then people without printers will upload or send to Shapeways somehow. I'm not familiar with the exact mechanism to upload directly to Shapeways. Perhaps someone can put it on Thingiverse and just backlink here to Hobby Squawk. There are several guys here who have become very proficient this 3DP. Elbee, Dirty Dee, Radar-Guy, and others.

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...thread/page167

I threw this together tonight. Testing over the weekend. It's intended to house a reflector inside the cover, and uses angled slits to reduce overhead glare with minimal reception loss. I'll have to paint it black first, though!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191219_225851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.8 KB ID:	223919Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191219_230851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	223917
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191220_001332.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	223916Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191219_231048.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	223918
                      Like RichJohnson I don't have a 3D printer so trying one out first hand is out of the question for the time being. Though based on the design and my experience making sunshades, I suspect it will work to greatly improve the IR receivers performance in direct sunlight.

Comment

I have come to wonder how I ever made it without my 3D printer before I got it. Excellent work as usual Alpha!

Comment

I have come to wonder how I ever made it without my 3D printer before I got it. Excellent work as usual Alpha!
                          RCJD, Acknowledged and Agreed. If, and I I mean it this time, I bought a tank, I'm thinkin' design and print would be all I'd be doin'. These tanks are so cool, but you'd have to have a place to play with others, I'd think. I will be watching these threads with great interest. Best, LB
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Elbee I find the 1/16 scale very conducive to 3DP. Not too large where prints take forever, and not too small where detail suffers. The TK6 MFCBs in these new generation tanks drive so well that there's not too much to tinker with them internally, which frees up time to draft 3DPs for the externals and other small functional aids.

I drew up a combo plate for one of the hatches that incorporates an LED voltage indicator, a momentary actuator button, and a latching power switch. I'm printing a redesigned plate that incorporates an on-board charge port onto this area as well. It's much more convenient to open the hatch, tap the momentary button to illuminate the voltage indicator, then tap the latching button to power on the tank. This layout eliminates the need to invert this 11 pound tank every time I want to swap the battery or flip the power switch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200108_005005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.2 KB ID:	227526Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200108_005402.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	227525

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200109_011740.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.5 KB ID:	227524Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200109_011714.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	227523

I will have to relocate the TK6's IR port into the commander's cuppola, which again, with 3DP, requires less than 5 minutes of design and ~20 minutes of printing.

I'll post these files in the Tank 3DP thread when I'm finished.

Comment

Nice mod. Just dont charge Lipos in the tank. Too man times people have burned down their shop or the room the tank was in when the battery ran off and caught fire.
                              I have modded nearly every tank I have to get the switch somewhere accessible from the top and open the tank up for battery access rather than turning it over that risks breaking all the stowage and detail off.
                              RC tank parts and accessories I make
                              www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I switched around the Heng Long IR receivers on my tanks the other day. Some receivers perform better than others. Did the recommendations for clearing the signal pathways. I'm disappointed with the inconsistencies.

Comment

INFO Bump. For those that are starting to battle their IR tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                                    Alpha that is a great idea, however, even many of us advanced modelers dont have a 3d printer. I cant do cad so i couldnt justifty a printer to the quality i would demand. How about also uploading it to shapeways for those that dont have a printer.
                                    For a 3D Printer my I suggest a Creality Ender 3 Pro cost is $210 - 260depending on where you get it. Note if you compare the development of 3D prints to normal printers. 3D printers are at about the 9 pin dot matrix development level of printing. They can do really good stuff, but you have to understand them to get to that point.

Cad programs. I can't draw a circle. There are web site out there where people share their SLT files for anyone. www.thingiverse.com is one great example.

Tinkercad is a online free cad program. www.tinkercad.com Free, with lots of online help.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
                                      6.) The new IR receivers the 6.0 system uses are much better then prior ones offered by Heng Long, but have shown they are not reliable when used in direct sunlight (noon hours) much past 10ft. Since most clubs battle outdoors it can become too big of an advantage for the 6.0 tank as it will not register hits. To extend their usefulness adding a homemade "sunshade" to the receiver helps and bring the reliability up, but still nowhere near that of the Tamiya IR receiver. We ask those using the 6.0 tanks with "sunshades" that when battling at certain times of the day that they do not engage others further then they themselves can receive a hit which is about 35 feet. .
                                      I have stumbled upon a solution for the receiver sensitivity issue described here. ~half a year ago I designed an aftermarket IR receiver that is tested to be reliable at distances of >70 feet even under mid-day sun, retailing for only ~30 dollars targeted towards Clark/Tamiya/IBU control boards since genuine Tamiya apples retail for such a ridiculous price. It has been extensively tested at the LA venue and adopted by many of our tankers here. Recently I was able to test it with a HL6.0 system and have found that it works to a comparable level of reliability. The only downside is that it currently requires a minor wiring swap for HL boards due to the different pin ordering on the IR receiver socket; available currently in partnership with DAK RC: https://dakrctank.com/shop/ir-battle-receiver-apple/. If there's sufficient interest I can provide a version to be directly compatible (plug and play, no modifications needed) with the HL6.0 board within the next month or so.

Comment

LegoDEI Welcome to Hobby Squawk! I for one am interested in something like this. There are likely several ways to improve the overall system, from the transmission side to the reception side, and anywhere in between. Some approaches will be less expensive than others, some may require more modification than others, but at the end of the day, I'd rather we have a sea of options for tankers to select from to suit their preferences.

Hopefully there's 'enough interest to move this forward!

Comment

Working...
                                        X