Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review and Discussion: Heng Long 1/16 "Panther" Tank --"The PanTiger Hybrid"

Heng Long 1/16 Scale "Panther" Tank
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00505.JPG
Views:	5471
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	237330

Introduction:

Based on a theoretical pairing between a Tiger I and a Panther G, Heng Long's Panther or "Pantiger" as it is known in the RC tank world, emphasizes RC-friendly handling over scale historical provenance. To me, the most appealing aspect of this "PanTiger" is that it frees up the modeler to interpret his/her tank without the constraints of historical accuracy. Because I have more than a dozen "historically accurate" tanks already, I plan to custom refinish my PanTiger in the spirit of an Akira-themed tank, or The Mandalorian. All of Motion RC’s Heng Long 1/16 scale tanks utilize the latest TK6 MFCB for outstanding control, performance, playability, and upgrade potential, so whether you choose to keep the stock WW2-themed colorway or personalize it with your own flavor, the PanTiger runs as reliably as the popular Heng Long Tiger 1, which shares virtually the same lower hull.

For the Tiger 1's review, click here
    For this PanTiger here, our Overview and Build Summary Video can be found below:

Functions:

Featuring the latest TK6 Multi-Function Control Board (MFCB), Heng Long's Panther "PanTiger", like its other TK6 series 1/16 scale tanks is full of features:

1) Proportional acceleration, steering, turret traverse, and gun elevation/depression
    2) Programmable radio settings for the amount of recoil, the sensitivity in turns, the overall sensitivity in acceleration, high speed and low speed modes, etc
    3) Smoke effect (On/Off)
    4) Headlights and Brake lights (On/Off) *note, the real Panther didn't have brake lights, so neither does this RC tank, but the MFCB does have extra ports for lights to be added if you choose
    5) Volume (five settings including Off)
    6) Four different Sound Sets. Each Sound Set contains a unique engine start sound, idle sound, accelerating sound, traverse sound, elevate sound, machine gun, cannon firing, and shutdown sound.
    7) Track Recoil (Three settings from low, medium, and high) --This shudders the tank briefly rearward to simulate recoil when firing the main cannon. The Low or Medium settings are more realistic.
    8) Fires a 6mm plastic BB (~10 meters with minimal accuracy and limited velocity, but should still be treated with caution and with adequate eye protection)
    9) Fires an invisible IR signal to be used as part of Heng Long's Infrared Battle System, which disables other tanks when hit five times during simulated combat. Up to 20 tanks at the same time can battle each other!
    10) Independent suspension on all road wheels

FEATURES:
    • Latest Generation TK6 Multi-Function Control Board (MFCB)
    • Proportional acceleration, steering, turret traverse, and gun elevation/depression
    • Programmable radio settings for the amount of recoil, the sensitivity in turns, the overall sensitivity in acceleration, high speed and low-speed modes, etc
    • Smoke effect (On/Off)
    • Headlights and Brake lights (On/Off)
    • Volume (five settings including Off)
    • Four different sound sets. Each contains a unique engine start, idle, accelerating, traverse, elevate, machine gun, cannon firing, and shutdown sound
    • Track Recoil (Three settings from low, medium, and high) -This shudders the tank briefly rearward to simulate recoil when firing the main cannon
    • Fires a 6mm plastic BB (10 meters with minimal accuracy and limited velocity, but should still be treated with caution and with adequate eye protection)
    • Fires an invisible IR signal to be used as part of Heng Long's Infrared Battle System, which disables other tanks when hit five times during simulated combat. Up to 20 tanks at the same time can battle each other!
    • Independent suspension on all road wheels
    INCLUDES:

• Heng Long German Panther Upgrade Edition 1/16 Scale Battle Tank - RTR
    • 2S 7.4v 1800mAh LiPo battery with Tamiya connector
    • 2S LiPo battery charger
    • 12-Channel 2.4GHz radio transmitter (Requires 6 AA batteries)
    • Magnetic Infrared (IR) battle system receiver
    • Painted cosmetic accessory parts
    • Adhesive decal sheet
    • 6mm plastic BBs (50 Pack)
    • 2x spare track links
    • Complete instruction manual

Durable Tracks

Confidently conquer terrain with durable tracks that are easy to service. The "Professional" edition features metal tracks. The more affordable "Upgrade" edition, pictured here, uses lighter painted plastic tracks and wheels. I didn't have many problems with these wide tracks, as they distribute the tank's weight across a larger area. The resulting reduced ground pressure provides a maneuverable tank that plows through most dry surfaces with ease.

Independent Suspension and Steel Geared Gearbox

Reliable steel geared gearboxes transfer power while independent suspension provide traction over rough surfaces. Both the Professional and Upgrade editions of the Panther, and for that matter all of Motion RC's TK6-equipped tanks from Heng Long, use steel gears. Say goodbye to fragile plastic or zinc alloy gears!
    Omnidirectional Proportional Control

The latest generation TK6 Multi-Function Control Board (MFCB ) provides smooth driving response and personalized configuration options. Detailed at the top of this post, the MFCB's functions effectively render all previous versions obsolete. Heng Long's older versions, including the previous TK5.3, is far less capable and lacks all of the TK6's major improvements in control, functionality, programability, and playability.
    IR Battle Ready
    Unique to Heng Long's new TK6 series equipped tanks, engage in friendly infrared ("IR") combat with other TK6-equipped tanks, both inflicting hits upon and receiving hits from opponents! Sounds and action signal each hit, until the 5th hit disables the tank. After 10 seconds, the disabled tank restarts and can rejoin the fight!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00524.JPG
Views:	3034
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	237331
    Airsoft BB Launch

Safely fire 6mm plastic airsoft BBs at the included paper target at short ranges. *Take safety precautions and wear eye protection.
    Scale Detail

The perfect balance of scale detail and practical RC Tanking, each Heng Long tank arrives factory painted and includes Cosmetic Accessory Parts to further enhance the tank's realism.

Because the Panther or "PanTiger" as it has come to be known is not a strictly historical armored vehicle, Heng Long has adapted the lower hull of a Tiger 1 and the upper hull design cues of a Panther G. The usual amount of detail on early Heng Long tanks is present on this PanTiger, including clip-on spare track links, stowage, and unditching equipment.
    Realistic Operation

320 degree turret traverse, 30 degree cannon elevation, programmable track recoil, and four different sound sets put you in complete control. I left this PanTiger in the first sound set as it was delivered out of the box, which is the classic "Heng Long Rumble" engine sound.
    LED Light

A single white LED headlight indicates the tank's standby and active modes, and also flash when "hit" during IR Battles.
    Exhaust Effect

Glycerin-based "exhaust effect" simulates engine exhaust for added realism. I found that the newer 2020 exhaust effect smoke generator operated more reliably than the PanTiger I owned over ten years ago. Having toured the factory, I have see the improvements in assembly and QC that directly contribute to longer lifespan of these typically finicky units.
    RTR

The convenience of "Ready to Run" (RTR) allows new players to join the world of RC Tanks with ease! The Panther / PanTiger arrives pre-painted as shown, with simplified cosmetic assembly parts that make it easy to get this tank out of the box and running.

By the time the drive battery was charged, the tank was ready for its first sortie!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

I can't believe they still keep this beast in production. Came across one last August while looking over their display at a model show in Shanghai & had a chuckle.

Comment

I just got one of these, knowing full well the inaccuracies. I really didn't care about that. The one I got was the "professional" version with all of the good features, metal tracks, wheels, version 6.0, battle ready, etc. And the price was considerably less than others with the same features. Still looks like a "German Tank" to most people, and performs great.
      Last edited by Cascabel; Jun 13, 2020, 10:25 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Originally posted by Cascabel View Post
        I just got one of these, knowing full well the inaccuracies. I really didn't care about that. The one I got was the "professional" version with all of the good features, metal tracks, wheels, version 6.0, battle ready, etc. And the price was considerably less than others with the same features. Still looks like a "German Tank" to most people, and performs great.
        I don't get it. Why produce a fantasy tank ??? Dai

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post

I don't get it. Why produce a fantasy tank ??? Dai
          It is an old product hold over from the toy era of Heng Long tanks. It is a good seller so they keep it around.

Comment

Working...
          X