X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC Tank Battle at Joe Nall 2020?!?!

Saw the idea get brought up by a few guys on a Facebook post and I would totally be down for that. If you will be attending Joe Nall and have a Heng Long RC Tank then the idea would be to bring your tank, but also make a building (Cardboard box and a rattle can will suffice) and we can set up mini village to do battle!

I am definitely down to do this and I know RCjetdude , TiredIronGRB and ncflyer79 will also be down.

You will need to set up your IR receivers with sun shades (Alpha posted a 3D printer design for download not long ago) if you intend on battling outside in direct sunlight and have any hope of hitting another tank past 10ft. The sun shades will provide longer outdoors engagement ranges, which lead to fluid battles and a lot of fun.

Wish I could be there....

Comment

I could print some extras to bring. Last I heard Alpha said to wait on printing many as I think the design was being improved upon? Did it ever get finalized?

Comment

It's ~ten weeks to Nall, plenty of time to print the shades. I'm open to input on how to better refine my existing design. So far it has worked well for my uses, but the idea before calling it "Final" would be to have others print one or two and test them in their conditions.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
          I could print some extras to bring. Last I heard Alpha said to wait on printing many as I think the design was being improved upon? Did it ever get finalized?
          Mine are less elaborate then Alpha”s design and they easily triple the effective hit indication range in direct sunlight. It would be worth the effort to print some up regardless.

Waiting for HL to improve the current “toy grade” IR receiver to a “hobby grade” one is wishing on the moon. It just will not happen soon enough. To bad because right now with so many new people buying tanks with such poor dIrect sunlight IR receiver performance it is going to hurt the reputation of Heng Long tanks.

Once one has used a true Tamiya IR system in tank battles it is easy to see what a difference a “hobby grade” IR receiver can make in adding to the overall fun of tank battling. The sun shade goes a long way towards this.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
            It's ~ten weeks to Nall, plenty of time to print the shades. I'm open to input on how to better refine my existing design. So far it has worked well for my uses, but the idea before calling it "Final" would be to have others print one or two and test them in their conditions.
            I would love to test the design and report back on them, but I have no way to print several up. I am sure though that based on ones I have built yours would performance quite well.

Comment

James has an Ender 3 printer just like me, so I'll send the file to him and he can print a couple over this weekend to test. He has a special guest coming over this weekend to play with their handful of tanks..

Comment

I am going to make some up and do some testing when my tank arrives then.

Comment

Well, the beauty that is Joe Nall is that there is plenty of places to find shade amongst the trees. Or we bring a bunch of pop up tents and cover the area. But I will definitely print out a bunch of these to bring

Comment

WOW! I'm finding out more and more about the tanks! A friend and I bought the Sherman primarily to use outside. Is there some where we can get these "sun shades" your talking about? do you have a picture of one to see what it looks like? Hope you don't mind my asking.

Comment

Originally posted by STClassic View Post
                      WOW! I'm finding out more and more about the tanks! A friend and I bought the Sherman primarily to use outside. Is there some where we can get these "sun shades" your talking about? do you have a picture of one to see what it looks like? Hope you don't mind my asking.
                      Welcome to HobbySquawk, do you have a printer? Pictures and the files can be found here. They are still being tested out.

This master thread is intended to organize all tank/armor 3DPUPs designed in-house by Motion RC, our development team, and our factory partners. I also welcome everyone to post their own 3DP creations so other modelers can share in the fun! When posting, please include the STL file, a picture of the finished product,

Comment

Hey guys I will be testing out a new IR receiver that is supposed to be as good as the high dollar Tamiya unit. I have two already for my Tamiya battle systems and they work great but are not yet HL compatible. Hopefully I will have my hands on the model adapted for use with the HL 6.0 battle system in the next week for testing. If all goes well with testing they will be available in two or three weeks in good quantities for around $30 each.

This is what they look like:

Click image for larger version  Name:	539F7756-5DE7-432C-806D-A916487E9697.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	329.3 KB ID:	239266

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Welcome to HobbySquawk, do you have a printer? Pictures and the files can be found here. They are still being tested out.

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...mored-vehicles
                          Thank you, you probably saved us a lot of frustration!

Comment

Guy's remember KISS. If you have access to a 3D Printer (as I plan to buy one this weekend) great you can print one. Or you can do what I did and make one with some hotel door key cards. 2mm bolts and 2mm nuts. If you are in a real rush you could also use some construction paper and tooth picks. You can see the one I made on my sherman below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200302_162846.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	239406Click image for larger version

Name:	20200302_162828.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	239407
                            Attached Files

Comment

Getting my building ready for Nall!

Name:	IMG_20200302_221121.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	239446

Comment

He's off the chain ^^^^^^^^^
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Yes he is, Steve, yes he is.

James Perhaps add small hinges to the edges so you can collapse your two or three walled house for easier transport. I imagine that a two panel, single corner "Book" style house would be easy to transport and still look good and be easier for a tank to maneuver in and out of to take pock shots out the window.

'Might as well begin another How To Build Tanking Dioramas/Obstacles thread for you and Rubicon99 and RichJohnson to play in.

Don't forget the dollhouses on Craigslist, spray-painted tan, or raid your kids' LEGO or Duplo stash?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                    Yes he is, Steve, yes he is.

James Perhaps add small hinges to the edges so you can collapse your two or three walled house for easier transport. I imagine that a two panel, single corner "Book" style house would be easy to transport and still look good and be easier for a tank to maneuver in and out of to take pock shots out the window.

'Might as well begin another How To Build Tanking Dioramas/Obstacles thread for you and Rubicon99 and RichJohnson to play in.

Don't forget the dollhouses on Craigslist, spray-painted tan, or raid your kids' LEGO or Duplo stash?

I think that is what I was going to do with this. I was going to leave this side clean, put wall on each side (foldable), then on the back side make a bunch of rubble etc. So the tank can back into it and hide. But I also want this for some fun video. Too much fun finding the 3d printed stuff

Comment

Heck! I was just going to make a foam wall like the leftovers of a brick house that has been obliterated. James is off the chain..

Comment

Coming along...

Name:	IMG_20200303_085009.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	239548

Comment

Working...
                                        X