You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove the stock 320 limited rotation turret gear ring made simple with photos.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove the stock 320 limited rotation turret gear ring made simple with photos.

Removing the stock 320deg limiting turret gear ring and or installing a new 360deg turret gear ring is simple. I put together this short photo tutorial that should help. It is as easy as it looks once you unscrew the lower hull from the upper hull which is usually 4-6 screws. The entire removal and re-installation should take anyone with basic screwdriver usage skills about 15 minutes.

There are two sizes of turret gear rings, Large and Small. The larger ones are typically used on the bigger tanks like the Abrams, Challenger, King Tiger and so on. The Small ones are used on the Sherman, T34, KV1 and so on. The method to remove/replace either is the same. The photos used below are of a larger ring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C3859173-1328-439F-9E5D-806006A7567E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	238738 The screwdriver is pointed/touching the gear ring. The screws need to be removed. The number of screws will vary from 4-5 depending on the individual tank and ring size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2D03450C-BB60-45F5-9A63-8970E2AC9F41.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	238739 Remove the screws is any sequence but be cautious when removing the last screw as the ring holds the turret onto the upper hull and the turret will fall off once the last screw is removed, so it is important to support the turret while removing the last screw to ensure it does not fail out/off the upper hull and become damaged.

Click image for larger version  Name:	77689665-2560-4774-898B-4FE561530E4D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	238737
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8B21EE0B-72B1-4EC8-9CE4-0671336A87B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	120.7 KB ID:	238740

Click image for larger version  Name:	9A6B2226-2681-422E-BA0B-9D55AC0C0A11.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	130.0 KB ID:	238741 Once unscrewed and the turret supported simply lift the ring out. Notice the round slots now visible on the inside of the turret ring gear. These will need to be alined with the round turret support posts when re-installing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A8187D51-EE22-4D44-8C42-E58D146F1669.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	97.0 KB ID:	238742 Turret ring removed. At this point the turret wires need to be passed through the ring so it can be fully removed from the tank. With the 6.0 system this mean you will need to unplug the motor and battery lead wires which is made simple now with the new “bullet” plugs being used. With the wires unplugged lift the MFU/Control box out of the tank and pass it and the remaining wires through the ring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A689BD81-92E1-419E-B961-860DD2DB8E4E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	238744 The lead wires that need to be unplug.

To re-install the stock ring or install a new 360 turret gear ring all that is needed is to reverse the steps. Just make sure to you support the turret and aline the round turret support posts with the round slots on the turret gear ring. When tightening down the screws, snug not tight is best.

If you are replacing the stock 320 ring with a 360 ring I would recommend also buying the upgraded turret wire "slip ring" which allows for endless 360 rotation of the turret. You can also simply and neatly bundle the turret wires together (leaving slack in the bundle) and run without the turret wire "slip ring", though one must use caution as there will be a limited number of full 360 rotations that can be made in any direction before the turret wires become wound to tightly and risk being damaged.
    Attached Files

Rubicon, while your at it what are you using or how are you guys doing muzzle flash on the the 6.0 boards? I have no interest in the airsoft part of the operation We are going to do IR and would like to have a flash to see who is firing. If I'm understanding I don't think the IR port would work because it will flash with the machine gun right?
    Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. I have several "ole" Heng longs to convert to 6.0 so this would be a nice plus to do.
    Thanks for helping the forum on its way all good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
      Rubicon, while your at it what are you using or how are you guys doing muzzle flash on the the 6.0 boards? I have no interest in the airsoft part of the operation We are going to do IR and would like to have a flash to see who is firing. If I'm understanding I don't think the IR port would work because it will flash with the machine gun right?
      Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. I have several "ole" Heng longs to convert to 6.0 so this would be a nice plus to do.
      Thanks for helping the forum on its way all good stuff
      Vaseline Check out my thread here which shows just how easy it is to replace the Airsoft function with a "Barrel Flash" feature in any TK6-equipped tank. There's an open LED port on all TK6 tanks that flashes in sync with the main gun firing. Just plug an LED into it, run it up to the barrel, clip and twist the double yellow trigger wire together, and you're done.

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...erman-ww2-tank

It's also overviewed in the FAQ Thread:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...eng-long-tanks
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Got my Sherman tank today and run it up to check out the operation of the tank. Everything works as advertised. The only issue I have with it is that the smoke oil bottle leaked out some oil onto another parts bag. It will have to wait to get customized until I get my Fokker DVIII finished since it takes up my whole workbench.

Comment

Runicon99,
          Great thread and tips. I need a 360 ring and harness for an M-1A2 and a T-90. Are they both large sized or is the T-90 one the small size? I haven't received the tank yet to know...

Comment

Originally posted by Davy101 View Post
            Runicon99,
            Great thread and tips. I need a 360 ring and harness for an M-1A2 and a T-90. Are they both large sized or is the T-90 one the small size? I haven't received the tank yet to know...
            Both are large.

Comment

How about the M41 ring? Small? Great thread! Should be a "sticky".
              Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                How about the M41 ring? Small? Great thread! Should be a "sticky".
                The M41 uses a small ring.

Regardless of large or small ring they all come off and go on the same way. Some have one or two more ring screws but thats the only real difference.

Comment

Looks like someone who is handy with a jewelers saw and small files should be able to convert a 320 ring into a 360 ring in no time.
                  Anyone here tried it?
                  Think I might give it a go on one of mine this weekend.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
                    Looks like someone who is handy with a jewelers saw and small files should be able to convert a 320 ring into a 360 ring in no time.
                    Anyone here tried it?
                    Think I might give it a go on one of mine this weekend.
                    Steve
                    Yes it is done quite often. Just easier for those that do not have “hobby skills” to just buy a 360 ring. I have done a few conversion but for time sake of time I just add a few 360 rings to my parts orders when I make them.

Comment

Just “call the guy”. ;) the rings don’t cost much.

Comment

I have more time than money these days and the conversion is very easy.
                        I'm actually going to convert two of my small ring tanks as the easiest way to lay out where to cut the new teeth is to lay one gear over the other. Come Monday I'll have two tanks with 360 rotation instead of wondering when "the guy" is gonna ship my gears. 😉

Comment

I’d thought of doing that too. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

how do you mount your slip rings. do you have to make a custom bracket or is there an easier way

Comment

Originally posted by pappy3122 View Post
                              how do you mount your slip rings. do you have to make a custom bracket or is there an easier way
                              There is an easier way. Don’t use it..... Honestly they are not all they are stacked up to be. Lots and lots and lots of extra long wires with double the number of plugs to find room for and stuff into already packed turrets and hulls. Most of us that have been in this hobby for a long time don’t use them and just add a little extra length to the turret wires and bundle then neatly. This allows for several full rotation before having to revers the turret. You will find you will rarely do more then two or three full rotation and in time even fewer.

Ok that said the way they are mounted is to simple CA glue them to one side of the canon breach in an area about center in the turret. That’s how HL does it and it works.

Comment

Hello, im currently in the process of converting my Abrams from 320 degree to 360 degree turret turning. I purchased the 360 ring from toucan hobby with a 6.0 slip ring but I have run into an issue. The slip ring they gave me appears to not have enough connections for all the wires coming from the turret, I have 2 connections for the LED lights but the slip ring only gives me 1 and I have 5 white connectors but the slip ring only has slots for 4. Did I get a wrong slip ring or am I doing something incorrectly? I suppose I could do without the slip ring but I have been having trouble getting the turret to turn and not get tangled with the tight space in the Abrams and all the wires. Thanks for any help in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM723 View Post
                                  Hello, im currently in the process of converting my Abrams from 320 degree to 360 degree turret turning. I purchased the 360 ring from toucan hobby with a 6.0 slip ring but I have run into an issue. The slip ring they gave me appears to not have enough connections for all the wires coming from the turret, I have 2 connections for the LED lights but the slip ring only gives me 1 and I have 5 white connectors but the slip ring only has slots for 4. Did I get a wrong slip ring or am I doing something incorrectly? I suppose I could do without the slip ring but I have been having trouble getting the turret to turn and not get tangled with the tight space in the Abrams and all the wires. Thanks for any help in advance.
                                  They possibly sent you one for the older 5.3 system not the 6.0 system.

Comment

Decided to go without the slip ring and just unwind the wires after each rotation. For anyone else trying this with your abrams make sure the control board goes back into the exact spot on the hull from the factory or the BB mechanism will get caught on it.

Comment

I must have missed something. Where can I get a hold of a 360 ring and a slip ring?
                                      I looked at MRC and at toucan hobby, where JoeM723 said he bought his, and no joy!
                                      Best regards,
                                      Cris B.
                                      AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
                                      NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

I was just looking into these. There's plenty of "4th Generation" kits to be found online but those are for the older system, not for 6.0. They have too few wires. I found the seperate 6.0 wiring (without the actual ring) from Toucan on Aliexpress. But not on their own site. I also couldn't find any cheap plastic rings to buy with it.
                                        I'm not doing any battles yet, so decided to forego this upgrade for now. Maybe I'll modify the stock ring to 360 next time I open the tank, dunno yet.​​​​
                                        ​​​
                                        EDIT: Nevermind, Toucan on Aliexpress has the plastic 360 rings, they just didn't show up in my search.

Comment

Working...
                                        X