You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should be used to lube hl road wheels and springs.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should be used to lube hl road wheels and springs.

Hi guys
    should professional versions tanks with metal road wheels with bearings and suspension springs .i used my tank alot then it has sat for 14 days while i was on vacation and springs creeks a bit. Wheels them self turn very well but just creek when you depress the road wheels .it was very dry and bit dusty down Australia when i left.
    thanks
    two tanks

Originally posted by Two tanks View Post
    Hi guys
    should professional versions tanks with metal road wheels with bearings and suspension springs .i used my tank alot then it has sat for 14 days while i was on vacation and springs creeks a bit. Wheels them self turn very well but just creek when you depress the road wheels .it was very dry and bit dusty down Australia when i left.
    thanks
    two tanks
    If you have bearings no need to oil. Real tanks creek and squeak. The noise will go away as you run the tank and the dust/sand/dirt makes its way out.

You can oil it will not hurt anything. But I would recommend this only if the wheel is stuck and will not move. Oil will attract dirt to the parts but wet and dirty is better then dry and dirty if the wheels are not turning. The plus side regardless is it looks great and adds to the nature weathering effect as dust and dirt collect on the oil. I have used whatever has been on had in cases where I needed to add a little oil, usually simply motor oil. A small drop is all that is needed.

Comment

You could use powdered graphite used in pine car derby cars.

Comment

There are a few Dry lubes out there. Graphite being the old classic. One that was marketed towards mountain biking was Teflon with carrier that would evaporate off leaving a dry Teflon coating. I think it was called White Lightning.

That being said I'll be sticking to Rubicon99's advice. I'll lube as needed when loss off free movement is observed with whatever i have on hand.
        Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
        R. A. Heinlein

Comment

For plastics (ABS), any PTFE or Silicone lubricant is safe. Lots to choose from and cheap.
          From what I've read, "ester and polyglycols " based lubricants are NOT safe for ABS. So also be careful of what you use on your steel gears in an ABS hull.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PlasticLubeChart.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	248597

Comment

Working...
          X