X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance Time....

So the question has been asked of me how often should I maintenance a tank even when everything is running well? I usually keep my tanks on a six month cycle if I have been driving them hard. Case in point is my Heng Long 6.0 T72. This tank has been upgraded to perform far beyond the basic T72 and I have been using it as a “test bed”, loaner, filming platform, IR battler and just plain hard bashing tank driving fun in all kinds of dirt, sand, mud, snow and rocks.

Now about six months into its life in my fleet and easily 50+ hours of running, it was time to pop the T72 open and inspect everything. For the most part all was good with the small exception of a crack on the lower hull glance at the idler wheel mount(not good but repairable) and a hull full of dirt and pieces of dried vegetation. Don’t ask I have no idea how they got sucked inside...lol.

For cleaning I simply grabbed a vacuum and sucked most of the dirt and vegetation out. After that I re-greased the gears and repaired the hull crack. The photos below show the inner hull and gearbox after the vacuuming and re-greasing. You can see there is still a fair amount of dirt and some minor vegetation still left inside. The presents of which possesses no issues and the tank will run perfectly. Point is these new 6.0 tanks are rather durable and though they will get dust, dirt, sand and the odd vegetation bits inside, it has little effect on them.

Below are photos of the T72 inner hull and gearboxes. Please understand this tank has had a number of modifications in order to fit the rather larger battery which is fixed in place. These modifications were covered in another thread. Also everything shown was brand new six months ago.

If you have questions related to maintenance please feel free to ask them. Also please feel free to visit my Instagram @fstanks to see this T72 in action.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D2C31069-00F5-4DB4-AF2E-AD6E4F22AD0A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	227.1 KB ID:	245151Click image for larger version  Name:	81909DBF-5108-42E2-AFE1-78BF80E58052.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	165.2 KB ID:	245152Click image for larger version  Name:	E196AB78-42D7-4C4B-8EA7-0BA669494A72.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	176.5 KB ID:	245153Click image for larger version  Name:	F42AC562-E5C6-4166-A32D-4E25F5B87671.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	245154Click image for larger version  Name:	2EE2B43B-2BF6-44FA-8EDD-3100B35E2C47.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	245155
    VVVVV....Below when new for comparison......VVVVV

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1D33D02-5A19-4D38-937A-19FC4550252D.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	245368

That is nasty. Are those the stock HL gearboxes?

Could you expound on track tensioning and maybe other regular wear/use adjustments? Bearings, bushings, bogies, shock springs, etc?

Comment

It's no secret, but still worth repeating, that Rubicon99 is a big-beast-bashing-bruiser of a tanker driver! Brutal, but meticulous. My kind of driver/tech!
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
        That is nasty. Are those the stock HL gearboxes?

Could you expound on track tensioning and maybe other regular wear/use adjustments? Bearings, bushings, bogies, shock springs, etc?
        Yes those are the new stock steel 6.0 gearboxes. All the tanks being sold by Motion RC comes with them standard. They are rather tough and quite forgiving to dust and dirt. I run them fairly “wet”. Some will disagree with me on the level of “wet” but until we get gears with a fancy aerospace coating like NiB and such. Wet is it for me and what I recommend when asked. Haven’t ever had a failure caused by or related to “wet” gears. They can be a bit messy at times but it tends to add to the overall grimy effect I like on my tanks.

The other stuff you asked about I will touch on a little later.

Comment

Working...
        X