X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiFi FPV on Heng Long tanks?

I've noticed a couple of things, wondering if there is a connection. First, on eBay there are sellers advertising HL tanks with wifi FPV as part of the package. Second, on the HL MFCB there is a socket marked as 6V for wifi. Is it possible HL makes an FPV wifi unit, or perhaps a second party does? Alpha, or Motion RC, is this something you could ask your HL contacts about. I'm thinking if there is such a thing, you might, just might sell one or two!
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

I sent an email to "build-for-u" on eBay and received a quick response. I'm told the FPV WiFi is made by Heng Long, it can be sold separately, it plugs into the main board, the camera will be on the turret, and it comes with a holder for a phone. There is some disconnect due to the language differences, but I will try to get more info.

If any of this can be confirmed, especially that it's a Heng Long product, I would urge Motion RC to look further into this!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
      I sent an email to "build-for-u" on eBay and received a quick response. I'm told the FPV WiFi is made by Heng Long, it can be sold separately, it plugs into the main board, the camera will be on the turret, and it comes with a holder for a phone. There is some disconnect due to the language differences, but I will try to get more info.

If any of this can be confirmed, especially that it's a Heng Long product, I would urge Motion RC to look further into this!
      Just an FYI “build-for-u” is Tucan. Then go by three our for names on EBay.

Comment

Checked with Heng Long USA. They do not market the WiFi FPV component seen on eBay. Ah well, it was worth asking about. Maybe I’ll have more info about this topic in June.

Comment

We've got something in the works for FPV in tanks that we'll be unveiling shortly. Possibly this week's Live Show, if not next week's.

Also, unsure who "Heng Long USA" is, since as of 2020, that's technically us. In fact I just finished an hour-long meeting with Heng Long. Please consider us your direct connection to the factory; we're happy to pass along feedback and return direct answers from the source in two languages.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hi, I am a wargamer normally play 28mm and 20mm games. I like the look of the Henglong RC King Tiger tank. Would like the look of a small video camera mounted on the front of the tank. Would love to have some feed back on this! Looking forward for the live shows on the FPV.

Comment

Alpha, hiya, thanks for the vote of confidence on the Toucan thread. Here, I searched Heng Long USA and got this site, assumed it was HL USA.

Alex, we've been discussing a product advertised showing an FPV wifi on a tank, to be displayed on a smartphone. A more complicated solution involves a camera, a video transmitter on a tank, and either goggles or a monitor to see the view. Youtube has a lot of clips showing the latter. Or, there are a lot of micro videocams that record to an SD card for viewing after the fact. All sorts of fun stuff!

Comment

I have some experience with cameras using wi-fi. There can be an unreasonable amount of latency in the video feed. It can cause annoying navigational issues. So, personally I prefer the more complicated approach.

Comment

Yeah, I agree about latency, especially in RC flight. We’ll just have to see on the ground. I do have some camera/VTX units enroute. Gotta figure out how to grab 3.5-5v off the system. I could always use an external BEC off the main power wires.

Comment

I just ordered this FPV set from motion rc europe
                    Xwave 800x480 4.3in FPV Goggle w/ZOH1000-003 Camera/VTX Bundle
                    we will see how it works

Comment

Looking forwqrd to your assessment!

Comment

Originally posted by fluup View Post
                        I just ordered this FPV set from motion rc europe
                        Xwave 800x480 4.3in FPV Goggle w/ZOH1000-003 Camera/VTX Bundle
                        we will see how it works
                        Welcome to squawk fluup . Its an excellent FPV set that I think you will enjoy. Loved it on my tanks. More info on this video

Comment

WiFi on my T-72!

Hey guys, my tank arrived three days early. How often does that happen? Anyway, I'll share my first impressions. In the box, the controller has an extension arm screwed onto the top. A phone holder bracket is included, to attach to the arm and grab your phone. Looks like it is original equipment, since the box had its original seals intact. As I'd noted before, there is a socket on the main board intended for WiFi. A single sided sheet contains the instructions; basically use a QR Code to download an app, in my case an iPhone 11. It loaded and runs fine. Once loaded,turn on the tank and pair it in wifi settings. Standard stuff. So, good news and bad news, the good first. Picture is superb, and this is from a miniscule 8mm square camera mounted on the front of the right hatch. The app has many functions which I haven't explored yet, included possibly controlling the tank from the screen. Not that I'd want to, I guess. Recording, all sorts of stuff. The picture was upside down to start, but I quickly found a button to right it. The bad news? Yep, a lot of lag. To be fair, I haven't really worked it much, because the tank battery was low. I will keep you apprised of what I learn. I do know that some cheaper drones use a wifi fpv system, so maybe it'll work out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	2728
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	256303

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg
Views:	2707
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	256304

Oh by the way, the upgrade included a 360 degree turret, not a necessity but nice to have. And the sound! What an improvement over the first generation HL's.

Comment

That's good news to hear about Toucan. I'm looking at getting at least 4 tanks off them in a couple of months. And the fpv camera and 360 turret and steel running gear was a big part of the decision

Comment

I played with the WiFi a little bit. A lot of the features of the app aren’t used with the tank, it’s a generic app used by other products. It does work, doesn’t have so much lag it can’t be used, but range can be a problem. It has about a 30 foot range, enough for inside the house or the backyard, but not a big battlefield. IMHO, it’s virtue is for tankers who don’t have video equipment or don’t want to wire up components. Cool though!

Comment

I played with the WiFi a little bit. A lot of the features of the app aren’t used with the tank, it’s a generic app used by other products. It does work, doesn’t have so much lag it can’t be used, but range can be a problem. It has about a 30 foot range, enough for inside the house or the backyard, but not a big battlefield. IMHO, it’s virtue is for tankers who don’t have video equipment or don’t want to wire up components. Cool though!
                                Thank you for reporting back. Did you record any video or take any still photos during the test? I am sure a lot of folks would love to see them if you did.

Now let get that T72 upgraded and ready for battling.

Comment

Here’s my FPV Firefly 90% finished, I haven’t posted any videos as I forgot to order the microphone so no sound affects. As the camera and VTX are all in the turret it only needs a power lead running up from the main battery or if you have room and access in the turret a tiny lipo will run the FPV gear if needed. You can get small all in one units as well which can be just mounted on the turret with Velcro which give better video than a WiFi system. With the march of the new HD systems the old analogue goggles, VTX’s and cameras should be dropping price and as many convert over 2nd hand bargins may be found on fleebay etc.

Just by way of an update, the microphones turned up but I’ve found it impossible to get the sound quality right. The microphones pick up every little bit of electrical noise from all the brushed motors and static from the FPV feed so I am now going to look into using something like the RunCam2 which I k ow works well from my FPV trucks but the big drawback is the size.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Arcright; May 24, 2020, 12:06 PM. Reason: Update.

Comment

I have to say at this time this wifi fpv isn't working. The camera seems fine, but the picture on the phone locks up frequently. I'll continue to tinker with it, but IMHO try somethin else if you can. I'll keep y 'all posted.

Comment

WiFi on my T-72!

Hey guys, my tank arrived three days early. How often does that happen? Anyway, I'll share my first impressions. In the box, the controller has an extension arm screwed onto the top. A phone holder bracket is included, to attach to the arm and grab your phone. Looks like it is original equipment, since the box had its original seals intact. As I'd noted before, there is a socket on the main board intended for WiFi. A single sided sheet contains the instructions; basically use a QR Code to download an app, in my case an iPhone 11. It loaded and runs fine. Once loaded,turn on the tank and pair it in wifi settings. Standard stuff. So, good news and bad news, the good first. Picture is superb, and this is from a miniscule 8mm square camera mounted on the front of the right hatch. The app has many functions which I haven't explored yet, included possibly controlling the tank from the screen. Not that I'd want to, I guess. Recording, all sorts of stuff. The picture was upside down to start, but I quickly found a button to right it. The bad news? Yep, a lot of lag. To be fair, I haven't really worked it much, because the tank battery was low. I will keep you apprised of what I learn. I do know that some cheaper drones use a wifi fpv system, so maybe it'll work out.

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	2728
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	256303

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg
Views:	2707
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	256304

Oh by the way, the upgrade included a 360 degree turret, not a necessity but nice to have. And the sound! What an improvement over the first generation HL's.
                                      I just received the King Tiger with this feature and have had pretty much the same experience you describe here. I doubt I'll be getting anymore FPV equipped tanks until the technology improves.

The picture IS good but it's not worth much if the lag is so bad you can't navigate by it.(let alone fight with it) Also, the camera is set too far to the "right". (I prefer to have the camera centered above the canon)

I'm currently experimenting with adding on my own cameras and using goggles and other assorted receivers. It's a shame the Wifi FPV experience is such a disappointment, I LOVE how well camouflaged the camera is! I see the "built in" FPV system gets just as HOT as my other cameras as when disassembling the turret, I saw the transmitter had melted away from the adhesive holding it to the inside of the turret.

My cameras are "ugly" but they work MUCH better. Kudos to Arcright for his Firefly! That looks GREAT! I'll probably move towards a setup like yours.(looks MUCH cleaner than the "all in one" cameras I'm using)

Comment

It’s a shame, because the picture is impressive. This is a still. The video is of this quality, but maybe 20 FPS.

Name:	C86665B2-C840-4F8B-900C-CADD3EB609BD.jpeg
Views:	2596
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	256546

Comment

Working...
                                        X