X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

My paint “theme” was inspired by a captured T72 on display at one of the US Army’s training bases. Don’t remember what base but there are photos of it and many other T72 desert paint scheme on google images. I chose the desert theme to match the local environments of the SouthWest US were I tend to drive and fight it.

The scheme and coupled with the T72s low profile has been credited for hiding the tank well enough to be able to kill other tanks without the operators even knowing where he/she was being shot at from.
    I d/l'ed that photo too. I'd noticed the similarity yours had. I'll be doing the same scheme, not as masteful as yours, but being in San Diego I know the environment you speak of!
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

A digression, while I wait A WEEK for more paint! First world problem, I know.

This is Q & D FPV setup (quick & dirty). It's a Fat Shark camera and 25mw VTX unit. I cut a short piece of PVC pipe, capped it, stuck the camera on with double sided tape. When I use it, I just stick the unit in the hatch.

I ran the power leads as follows. Soldered wires to the main power switch. Put a set of two pin JST connectors in the wires, in case I ever have to separate the turret from the hull. Ran the wires through a hole in the turret in the commander's hatch recess. The camera has a 3 wire JST connector even though it only uses two wires, so I put that on the wires that come out in the hatch. I can put the connector inside the pvc tube, but I left it out to see.

The camera cost $16.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther G FPV.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	257222

Remove the unit, close the hatch, and it's back to stock.

Comment

Nice work, Bob.

Comment

Hi, I'm back! I had to wait a week for a spray can of paint, just to finish up some bare spots. So what's next? Dunh-dunh-daah; air brushing. I suck at it, usually getting more paint on me and my workbench than on the subject. However, every journey is a sequence of steps. I used two rattle cans of Testors "Modern Desert Sand" for the yellow base. For the brown, I airbrushed from a bottle of Tamiya's acrylic "Nato Brown" (Thanks Rubicon). It actually came out ok. As an aside to more experienced airbrushers, do you find thin spots only after you've cleaned the brush? I do! The good thing about tanks is that you can obscure some flaws with weathering, and that can be fun. Dirt, dust and grime is random. That's coming up, along with detail work.

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	258132
          Certainly looks different from when it came out of the box!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
            Hi, I'm back! I had to wait a week for a spray can of paint, just to finish up some bare spots. So what's next? Dunh-dunh-daah; air brushing. I suck at it, usually getting more paint on me and my workbench than on the subject. However, every journey is a sequence of steps. I used two rattle cans of Testors "Modern Desert Sand" for the yellow base. For the brown, I airbrushed from a bottle of Tamiya's acrylic "Nato Brown" (Thanks Rubicon). It actually came out ok. As an aside to more experienced airbrushers, do you find thin spots only after you've cleaned the brush? I do! The good thing about tanks is that you can obscure some flaws with weathering, and that can be fun. Dirt, dust and grime is random. That's coming up, along with detail work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0618.jpg Views:	3 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	258132
            Certainly looks different from when it came out of the box!
            It is taking shape!!!! Don’t worry about being perfect because the real ones a rarely especially if the second or third color was field applied.

Thin spots: After added chalk/paint weathering and a bit of natural weathering will look like you planned them as part of the over wear and tear.

i am looking forward to battling along side you in San Diego this summer. We can team up our desert T72s!!!!!!

Comment

Rubicon, you bet! Ok, here's a desert tank in it's correct environment. No MG mounted. Masking on searchlights still. I'm leaving the side skirts on mine. See the tiny black dot under the commander's spotlight? That's the FPV camera. If I could trace the wires and reroute them to a VTX instead of the wifi board, that'd be cool.

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	258162

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	258163

Comment

It's looking good!
                As a tip for airbrushing (or rattlecan spraying), you can use strings of blue-tack to mask the edges of your camo pattern (the thinner the string the harder the edge between colors). That way you don't have to worry about overspray.

Comment

Rubicon, you bet! Ok, here's a desert tank in it's correct environment. No MG mounted. Masking on searchlights still. I'm leaving the side skirts on mine. See the tiny black dot under the commander's spotlight? That's the FPV camera. If I could trace the wires and reroute them to a VTX instead of the wifi board, that'd be cool.

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	258162

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	258163
                  Tan dirties up fast and generally nicely. It tends to darken up as this happens so be aware of that when you start adding weathering.

The best way to trace the wires is to just take the turret apart. With the T72 this is rather easy because it uses a different elevation unit and has no “counter bounce” cannon breach spring that tend to be a pain to put back in.

Comment

Looking great, Bob!

Comment

I started this thread for the benefit of folks getting their first tank, to give them an idea of how to proceed. I've finished painting, and am starting the weathering process. Weathering is such an individual endeavor, so I'll stop the build portion of this thread. Any posts on weathering ideas are welcome here!

Although I'm just started on my tank, I've done enough to show a bit of my progress. I use AK's "streaking grime" wash to highlight the details, and to reduce the "plasticness". I'm also trying out AK's True Metal rub-on paste in aluminum to highlight edges representing wind blasting in the desert!

Name:	T-72 17.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	258350

Name:	T-72 18.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	258351

Name:	T-72 19.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	258352

Above all, have fun everyone!

Comment

I put together a short video clip of this tank, showing development and driving.

Comment

I put together a short video clip of this tank, showing development and driving.]
                          SCB, Ah yes, the famous "Pobeda v gorshechnykh tsvetakh" (Victory at the Potted Flowers). Classic video reenactment, well done. Best, LB
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                          X