X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Batteries for Heng Long Tanks

I finally got my first Heng Long RC tank today, a Tiger 1 pro. While tinkering I found that my old airsoft gun batteries all fit in the compartment and was curious if they'd be safe to use. They're all NiMH batteries 2 are 8.4v (1500mAh and 1100mAh) and one is 9.6v 1600mAh. I've been googling for the past few hours and haven't found anything as to whether they are safe for the system or not.

Originally posted by dsmith10 View Post
    I finally got my first Heng Long RC tank today, a Tiger 1 pro. While tinkering I found that my old airsoft gun batteries all fit in the compartment and was curious if they'd be safe to use. They're all NiMH batteries 2 are 8.4v (1500mAh and 1100mAh) and one is 9.6v 1600mAh. I've been googling for the past few hours and haven't found anything as to whether they are safe for the system or not.
    Short answer is YES. But with the low mAh they will not last long.

The 6.0 HL tanks can be run safely up to 10v. The MFU is rated for up to just over 12v but things tend to get REALLY HOT much past 9v.

I run 8.4 and 9.6 NiMH 4000-5000 mAH batteries. They add weight and in tanks weight is a good thing.

Comment

I highly recommend the admiral batteries with tamiya connectors on Motion RC. they last a long time (longer than i usually run the tank), the only con is the recharge time is considerably longer than the stock battery. Unfortunately they are out of stock ATM but when they come back I would recommend you pick one up.

Comment

I definitely plan to pick up a few of them as soon as they are back.

Comment

Something you need to know if you use 6.0 with high voltage battery are smoke unit wire will burn on high voltage.Because of cn11 port feed current as battery voltage.And this is the reason heng long launch 6.oS because 6.0S cn11 feed 6V constant. High voltage battery give you hihg speed with no modification. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaS...Q&index=5&t=0s

Comment

Originally posted by Rdex2 View Post
            Something you need to know if you use 6.0 with high voltage battery are smoke unit wire will burn on high voltage.Because of cn11 port feed current as battery voltage.And this is the reason heng long launch 6.oS because 6.0S cn11 feed 6V constant. High voltage battery give you hihg speed with no modification. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaS...Q&index=5&t=0s
            And considering that HL supplies a 7.4v Li-Ion battery that puts out around 8.4v at peak charge means CH11 is pumping out ~8.4v. One of the reason I said that things get HOT much past 9v. It is smart on HLs part that they are switching over to 6.0S systems.

Now what we really need is the 6.1S system to be a factory option🤞.

Comment

May be 6.1S 's nothing better than 6.0,6.0S even have servo control.
              Attached Files

Comment

I've just purchased the parts to convert my tank from using battery packs to a 3S 18650 battery box that I will be able to just pop the cells in and out without having to deal with the connector or packing the connector wire into the cramped T90 battery compartment

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Short answer is YES. But with the low mAh they will not last long.

The 6.0 HL tanks can be run safely up to 10v. The MFU is rated for up to just over 12v but things tend to get REALLY HOT much past 9v.

I run 8.4 and 9.6 NiMH 4000-5000 mAH batteries. They add weight and in tanks weight is a good thing.
                  New here, where can I find 8.4/9.6v NiMH batteries that have the same connections the Heng Long Panther uses? The admiral batteries were out of stock when we ordered our first tank today...

Comment

Originally posted by montytx View Post

New here, where can I find 8.4/9.6v NiMH batteries that have the same connections the Heng Long Panther uses? The admiral batteries were out of stock when we ordered our first tank today...
                    The admiral batteries with tamiya connectors are back in stock today i think.

Comment

Why would you run Nicad or NIMH these days? a 2S LIpo pack works great - I run a 5000 in a hard case - fills up the battery compartment. I semi-permanently closed it off and charge through a hatch on the upper hull.

Comment

Got my 3S 18650 holder in today and wired it up, MFCB did not let the bad smoke out and the treads were turning what seemed like twice as fast, unfortunately I didn't quite get my measurements right and I'll need to expand the battery bay by about a quarter inch Click image for larger version

Name:	20200602_161403.jpg
Views:	4624
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	257767

Comment

Originally posted by Spinnetti View Post
                          Why would you run Nicad or NIMH these days? a 2S LIpo pack works great - I run a 5000 in a hard case - fills up the battery compartment. I semi-permanently closed it off and charge through a hatch on the upper hull.
                          Because tanks run REALLY HIGH internal temps caused by 2 brushed motors (not 1 motor) working hard especially so in heavier tanks or during summer months or when you upgrade the 2 brushes motors and remove the battery boxes to fit upgraded internals features. Tanks are not airplanes or cars/trucks there is NO airflow to cool the motors and evacuate heat. All the heat stays trapped inside and temps can reach the point we’re plastic melts. Myself and others have the melted parts to prove it. Plus you can’t get Lipos that are in the optimal performance voltage range of 9.6v.

We I recommend NiMH batteries it is based on my experience and I understand that MOST tanks are bought by folks that have little to NO r/c background or understanding of how to properly handle and store Lipo batteries. NiCad and NiMH are far and away safer and easier for these people and have none of the issues that can come up rapidly like those of Lipo batteries.

Now if you are an experienced r/c hobbyist and have been using Lipos for years then sure go ahead and use them. You will find though that in the world of r/c tanks you will more often then not be the odd man out. There are even some clubs that will frown heavily on the use of Lipos during events because of the history of r/c tanks catching fire while using them. Seen that a few time too.

The exception: Li-ion batteries are an in between battery not as safe a NiMH but safer for the new r/c hobbyist then Lipos. Unfortunately these still lack the optimum peak performance voltage range option of 9.6. and still require a bit more handling knowledge then NiCad or NiMH batteries.

Dont get me wrong I love Lipo batteries and run them in my planes, cars and trucks, but keep them away from my tanks for the afore mentioned reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveBurzum View Post
                            Got my 3S 18650 holder in today and wired it up, MFCB did not let the bad smoke out and the treads were turning what seemed like twice as fast, unfortunately I didn't quite get my measurements right and I'll need to expand the battery bay by about a quarter inch Click image for larger version

Name:	20200602_161403.jpg
Views:	4624
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	257767

Just a friendly warning. At the voltage you are running (3.7 x 3 = 11.1 = ~12 peak volts) you will have rapid heating issues of the MFU and motors greatly reduce their life. If you compound this with higher performance 390 motors you will fry the 6.0 MFU.

Now if you swap over to the 6.1S MFU you should be fine as it has much higher power ratings and can handle the higher volts a bit easier.

Comment

If the main issue is just overheating the components on the MFCB has anyone tried to remediate that by taking it out of its assembly and adding some high efficiently thermal compound and extra passive heat sinks to individual components that are running hot?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveBurzum View Post
                                If the main issue is just overheating the components on the MFCB has anyone tried to remediate that by taking it out of its assembly and adding some high efficiently thermal compound and extra passive heat sinks to individual components that are running hot?
                                It’s rated a maximum of 12.6v but at that voltage it gets screaming hot very fast. Anything over 10v is really a waist as the performance difference is so minor regardless of stock 380 or red 390 motors. Cooling fans on the MFU and motors are all but useless unless the internal hot air being generated by running at over 10 volts can be vented out and cooler outside air let in easily. On most tanks this can be quite a challenge if you wish to hide the intake and exhaust openings.

The 6.0 MFU IMO is just not worth tinkering with beyond cooling fans. It will ultimately end up costing about the same or more to install and test(?) a cooling system then just buying the upgraded 6.1S system and swapping it in.

Comment

Hope I can sk this question in this thread:
                                  In preparation of going outside with my tank I want to buy a couple of the Admiral 3500 Li-ion batteries with Tamiya connectors. I was wondering if I can get by with the standard Heng Long charger? Or is it wise to get a separate charger? If so, will this work: https://www.motionrc.eu/collections/...attery-charger
                                  It only has LiPo in the description, but maybe it can be switched?
                                  ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
                                    Hope I can sk this question in this thread:
                                    In preparation of going outside with my tank I want to buy a couple of the Admiral 3500 Li-ion batteries with Tamiya connectors. I was wondering if I can get by with the standard Heng Long charger? Or is it wise to get a separate charger? If so, will this work: https://www.motionrc.eu/collections/...attery-charger
                                    It only has LiPo in the description, but maybe it can be switched?
                                    ​​​​
                                    The Heng Long charger that comes with the tank isn't very good, putting it politely.

SkyRCe3
                                    According to the manual found in the "Support" tab it is ONLY for Lipos.
                                    https://www.motionrc.eu/collections/...er#support-tab
                                    But, If you scroll down in the "Overview" tab they list "LiPo/LiFe/Lilon Cells" so I would assume MotionRC would warranty charging Li-ion. Might be wise to send a message or phone call to MotionRC to verify.
                                    https://www.motionrc.eu/collections/...escription-tab

Let us know what they say!

Comment

Thanks Beeg. The information is indeed conflicting. I sent them a message. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
                                        Thanks Beeg. The information is indeed conflicting. I sent them a message. Will let you know how it goes.
                                        A "google" search indicates you can use a LiPo charger for a Liion as long as the charge parameters are set accordingly.
                                        The SkyRCe3 doesn't look like it has adjustable settings but the manual states their maximum amps for either 2s or 3s are well within limits for a Liion and the volts are right at the upper limit.

Comment

Working...
                                        X