X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HengLong Compatible IR Receiver (by LegoDEI) Installation Examples + Help

This is a thread dedicated to resources as well as Q&A for installing the new HengLong compatible IR Receiver made by LegoDEI available here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LegoDEI
    Feel free to also append your own installation pictures to this thread to assist other tankers. Many users so far such as Beeg and Rubicon99 have been tremendously helpful in providing advice and help to those who need it; this thread is also an effort to compile all of the info in one easy to find location, and also hopefully save everyone from the need of repeating explanations.
    Wiring and Electronics

In the current package, 5 Dupont connector wires are included for easy plug and play installation with the tk6.0 controller as shown in the picture below courtesy of Beeg
    A clean diagram is also provided for convenience.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=257995&d=1591233901.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.5 KB ID:	258088Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=257790.png Views:	0 Size:	742.2 KB ID:	258089

The single connectors can be either glued or taped together for convenience, to group them into 2 and 3-pin connectors. At the users discretion, the 3 wires for the IR signal can also be re-crimped with a JST-XH plug if desired, although this is not necessary. The dupont connectors are cross-compatible with the JST-XH sockets intrinsically.

As for which channel to plug the LED lights in, Rubicon99 summarizes the options available currently.

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Option 1. Plug into the taillight slot and forgo taillights.

Option 2. Splice IR lead wires into the taillight lead wires and run concurrently with the taillights. Super easy to do. I have this set up on one of my tanks. Personally I think it is your best option. You will still need to turn off the taillights to turn off the IR hit indication LEDs.

Option 3. You can use slots 6,7 or 8. These are for the brake lights and L/R turn signals. Unfortunately I have not found a way to turn these on and off so the IR LEDs will stay lighted which is not advantageous for battling as folks will mistake this as your tank is dead or just received a hit.

Physical Mounting

It is generally recommended to mount the receiver over the hatch as seen in the below pictures courtesy of Rubicon99 and Beeg . The receiver end of the wires can be glued into place with minimal filing/shell cutting.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=250386&d=1587423503.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.2 KB ID:	258090Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=250387&d=1587423649.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	258091Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=245726&d=1585524245.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.4 KB ID:	258092

If one has access to a 3D printer Vaseline has contributed a printable mounting socket / stand, which can be adjusted in height and diameter to suit the desired mounting clearances and hatch diameters: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4384598
    Download files and build them with your 3D printer, laser cutter, or CNC. Thingiverse is a universe of things.

Is there someone who can 3D the 5 pin recepticle. My guy was a bust!

Comment

Originally posted by William Fraden View Post
      Is there someone who can 3D the 5 pin recepticle. My guy was a bust!
      For which tank? I designed this one for the Sherman
      .Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2338.JPG
Views:	1202
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	258384

Comment

I made this one for the MATO M36. It will be up on Thingiverse soon.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg
Views:	1235
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	258386

Name:	IMG_2613.JPG
Views:	1183
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	258387

Name:	IMG_2615.JPG
Views:	1180
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	258388

Comment

After the July 19 tank battles, I’m getting ready to equip my tanks with these. I do have two questions related to the environment I’d be using them in, specifically bright Southern California sunshine. These questions are for anybody to answer.

1. Is there any difference in IR reception between the circle and cross versions?

2. Which LED color, red or blue, is more visible in daylight? For police lights, blue was more striking at night, red in the day.

A separate question for LegoDEI: will you be producing a newer edition, say with amber LEDs pointed horizontally? I’ve heard rumor of such.
          Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post

1. Is there any difference in IR reception between the circle and cross versions?
            The circle is more open and allows better reception. The cross is to simulate quadrants like the original Tamiya.

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
            2. Which LED color, red or blue, is more visible in daylight? For police lights, blue was more striking at night, red in the day.
            The original models I was told blue would show up better in the bright Texas sunlight. I have one of the new "brighter" red versions but haven't had a chance to test it but supposedly it's even better. The good part is they are fairly inexpensive. Get a couple different ones and see which one you like best and go with it..

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post

The circle is more open and allows better reception. The cross is to simulate quadrants like the original Tamiya.

The original models I was told blue would show up better in the bright Texas sunlight. I have one of the new "brighter" red versions but haven't had a chance to test it but supposedly it's even better. The good part is they are fairly inexpensive. Get a couple different ones and see which one you like best and go with it..
              Thanks. yeah, I've definitely got places they can go.

Comment

Ok, another thought. In post #1, Rubicon is quoted as saying to plug in the LEDs either replacing or in parallel with the tail lights. Does this mean the LED's stay on if the tail lights are turned on? If the tail lights are turned off, will the LEDs still flash indicating a hit? Ah, the in's and out's of computer boards....

Comment

Yes, the LEDs will stay on if you have the taillights on. But, the LEDs will still flash when the taillights are off.

Comment

I like using the stock plug on the Heng Long tanks. Only because it makes it easy to move the IR Receiver to other tanks. I have installed a JST plug on some tanks to power the LEDs. The LEDs do not need to be used for the receiver to work. This way I can easily lend my second IR Receiver (by LegoDEI) to friends who don't have one.

Here is my T-34 installation.

Name:	IMG_0778.jpeg
Views:	1335
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	264647Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0779.jpeg
Views:	1247
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	264648Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.jpeg
Views:	1292
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	264649

Comment

Originally posted by karltrek View Post
                      I like using the stock plug on the Heng Long tanks. Only because it makes it easy to move the IR Receiver to other tanks. I have installed a JST plug on some tanks to power the LEDs. The LEDs do not need to be used for the receiver to work. This way I can easily lend my second IR Receiver (by LegoDEI) to friends who don't have one.

Here is my T-34 installation.

Name:	IMG_0778.jpeg
Views:	1335
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	264647Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0779.jpeg
Views:	1247
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	264648Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.jpeg
Views:	1292
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	264649
                      Thanks Karl! That's exactly the way I'm going to set mine up.

Comment

I'm currently working on version where the LED's are pointed horizontally, for even greater visibility, however these will probably only be available for the 360 / circular sunshades, and the shades would not be removable.

Comment

Is it possible to get a 360 shade for one of my units I got from you. I did not do a review because I waited to recieve everything before installing which Dan Noel just did. One works fine (360) and the other only recieves hits at 45 degree. Otherwise they work like I remember my Tamiya tanks worked- Excellent!

Comment

I guess crickets???

Comment

He’s on Etsy, try there.

Comment

Hey - I currently do not offer just the shades themselves for sale, but if this is an option people want to explore I can create a listing for selling individual shades. Check the listings in the upcoming week.

Comment

Originally posted by LegoDEI View Post
                                  Hey - I currently do not offer just the shades themselves for sale, but if this is an option people want to explore I can create a listing for selling individual shades. Check the listings in the upcoming week.
                                  Individual shades would be nice to have offered.

Comment

I ask because I got two different shades. The 45 degree shade is not fair to battle with as it does not take hits like the 360 does. Just want to be fair in battle.I would like to order a 360 when they are available.

Comment

Originally posted by William Fraden View Post
                                      I ask because I got two different shades. The 45 degree shade is not fair to battle with as it does not take hits like the 360 does. Just want to be fair in battle.I would like to order a 360 when they are available.
                                      If you are fighting against a tank using the Tamiya IR receiver then the 45 deg shade is correct as this is similar to how the Tamiya IR receivers “take” hits. It simulates armor performance and “shot deflection” as not every hit would damage or kill a given tank.

The 360 shade was designed for the HL 6.0 system as a way to make mounting the IR receiver easier by reducing the need for “correct orientation” of the receiver bulbs, which would otherwise be needed to perform like Tamiya IR receivers on equal footing in IR battles. The 360 shade actually make the HL tanks easier to hit when battling between HL and Tamiya tanks.

Ok all that said I like the 360 shades better for all around use. They simplify install and tend to even out the battle field making for a more interesting fight with less “gaming” of the IR systems to avoid hits (turning turret 45 deg to your enemy while moving to avoid taking a hit as an example).

Comment

right now Im battling my own tank - both HL 6.0. And trying to get more tanks that are HL's.

Comment

Working...
                                        X