X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jagpanther build

Thought I might start documenting my build of a Jagdpanther. I am accustomed to building with Taigen tanks and IBU2U electronics. So this is designed to be a budget build that will fight on the FRAG RC Tank Club field. So, per our rules: I will eliminate the BB function and place the emitter in the barrel, build a new receiver port for the LegoDEI receiver, new paint, speaker. However, as an experiment, I'm leaving the plastic gearbox, sprockets, and tracks.......brave, I know. While I have it apart, I may change my mind and will alter this thread as I go.

Let's start with the speaker. I have countless speakers for many different tank builds sitting around. Some are 4ohm others are 8ohm. I tried them all on the 6.0 board and they all worked fine. Knowing previous HL boards ran at 8ohms, I decided to stick with that, and not have to replace the board after burning out the tiny amp.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2708.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.5 KB ID:	262158

I designed a box in Tinkercad to use the small space on the left of the lower hull, over the battery tray. I designed it with a modular port/vent system, so I could try different tunings once it was placed in the hull.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2717.JPG Views:	0 Size:	36.8 KB ID:	262159
    It's a little louder than the stock speaker, but the low end is substantially better.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2720.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	262160

Looking forward to seeing how this comes together. I'd be interested to know what speaker you are using. And, your box design. I'd like to get more low end sound out of my tanks also.

Comment

The speaker is a Dayton Audio 2 1/2 8ohm https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...river--295-152 . It is a great speaker with a higher power amp. A better choice for the HL power supply would be a Visaton https://www.parts-express.com/visato...8-ohm--292-530. I usually carefully calculate for internal volume and port length, but experience has shown that the only real difference is poly-fill and port length. So I build it as large as I can, then change ports until is sounds right,

Today:
      I installed a new IR receiver port designed to fit the LegoDEI receiver.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2729.JPG
Views:	612
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	262302
      Then added some etched screens to the engine deck.

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	262303

Comment

Getting some paint on it. I tried a combination of ideas I found online.....not sure I like it, but with filters and weathering, I think it will be interesting.

Name:	IMG_2843.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	263470Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	263471

Comment

BcuriousR I like your scheme, and your brass PE intake covers, too. Mine were thin steel but the brass looks finer and more realistic.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Mostly finished. Lighting makes it look shinier than it is. With each build, I'm learning new techniques in weathering. It's much less stressful trying things on a Heng Long vs a Tamiya or Taigen. This is the first time I've painted a figure, so I thought the standard HL fig would be a good test ground. I quickly learned that the molding leaves a lot to be desired. But, by hollowing him out, I can cover the receiver base for the LegoDEI receiver, and give the model a bit more of a dynamic look. For a budget build, I'm very happy with the results. I did drill some new holes to try to increase the tension on the front road wheels. It has a bad case of the sags. I'm sure upgrading to steel gears will only increase the problem; thus, a future modification will need to address the weak springs.

Name:	IMG_2878.jpeg
Views:	585
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	264230Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2880.jpeg
Views:	596
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	264231Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2881.jpeg
Views:	570
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	264232

Comment

I was browsing through our forum and notice this thread. I really like what you've done to your jagdpanther. I followed your work on the M36B1. And now, after looking at this jagd V.....So tempting :-) And this was 1 1/2 year ago... wow.

Comment

Celebrating the Lunar New Year by receiving my favorite tank

Name:	IMG_9027.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	336260

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                  Celebrating the Lunar New Year by receiving my favorite tank

Name:	IMG_9027.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	336260
                  David you are going crazy with building a tank fleet!!! 👍👍👍

Comment

It is like a virus in my blood :-)

I cleaned up my house to celebrate the New Year and "accidentally" created 5 more available "tank" spaces

Comment

I started working on the chassis. There were many metal parts. My wife told me that I created too much noise. So I decided to do the upper hull and would work on the chassis over the weekend.

Name:	IMG_9029.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	336359

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                        I started working on the chassis. There were many metal parts. My wife told me that I created too much noise. So I decided to do the upper hull and would work on the chassis over the weekend.

Name:	IMG_9029.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	336359
                        You are going to have that ready for the Feb 5th Sat battle this weekend in LA?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

You are going to have that ready for the Feb 5th Sat battle this weekend in LA?
                          Funny.....I won't get it done till next week. This is only my 3rd times building a Tamiya tank. I am still learning. And like many of us, I have many projects to do. I jump around a lot. I have just turned this Stug IV into IR with the notek light installed. I am playing around with it tonite. I will bring the Tamiya Bovington Tiger I #131 this Saturday to battle.

Name:	IMG_9205A.png
Views:	335
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	336367

Comment

I got all the torsion bars, gearboxes, and the speakers installed.

Name:	IMG_9028.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	336435

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	79C9BDBC-96AF-4A6B-BF6E-361E50268F92.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	158.3 KB ID:	336487

Love the Jagdpanthers! Looks similar to one I’m currently working on. I did end up finding stronger springs which helped with the droopiness; this is a heavy tank with steel gears and metal tracks/idlers.

Comment

From your picture, it looks as you are almost done. You are right, most of my HL Jagdpanthers with metal running gears need some works at the front. I had to open up the first and the second wheels. I drilled a new hole and brought the tension of the spring up to raise the front higher.

Comment

I don't think the Tamiya Jagdpanther has that problem. I will follow this paint scheme from the sheet included in the Tamiya box...

Name:	IMG_9052.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	336492

Comment

This is a great resource for info and paint schemes:

The Jagdpanther may have been the best of the late German tank destroyers, but the 400 built were too little, too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotsalemon View Post
                                      This is a great resource for info and paint schemes:

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/n...anther.php?amp
                                      Many thanks on the link that you provided. I saw the one that I planned to paint...

Name:	Jagdpanther.png
Views:	283
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	336500

Comment

That is what I based mine on :)

Comment

Working...
                                        X