X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for LiOn battery

Is there a reason LiOn batteries were chosen over LiPo? The reason I am asking is I feel the best charge rate for LiOn batteries is 0.5 volts which take forever to charge.

I finally got my first Heng Long RC tank today, a Tiger 1 pro. While tinkering I found that my old airsoft gun batteries all fit in the compartment and was curious if they'd be safe to use. They're all NiMH batteries 2 are 8.4v (1500mAh and 1100mAh) and one is 9.6v 1600mAh. I've been googling for the past few hours and haven't

Comment

Not sure why HL chose the Li-IOn packs. That said, Li-Ion is a more stable battery pack for the avg person. Also these packs have under and over voltage detection circuits in them. This help protect the battery and the person using them. That said if you want you can use LiPo packs there is no reason why you couldn't.

Comment

You can use LiPo packs but I feel it's a bit silly to do so unless you just happen to have them lying around (for me, I have tons left from when I used to do RC planes). I have been leaning back into NiMh packs - none of the environmental concerns of NiCd packs, still really affordable, easy to charge, and heavy. The extra weight is really nice, because while it's a liability on aircraft with tanks it doesn't have any major negative effects. Extra weight can make the suspension act more realistic (even if you've taken the time to soften it up by drilling new holes), and NiMh packs are less volatile and picky about being inside the often less-than-ideal environment inside a running RC tank.

I feel like HL must have some deal where they're able to acquire these packs so cheap. They package them in casing that's way too big, so it seems like they have some deal on getting the packs and circuitry cheap but then slap that inside their usual enclosure? There's nothing wrong with them, but the key benefits of Lithium batteries (that being high amperage support and light weight) just isn't nearly as important for tanks. I'm glad Heng Long isn't giving us toxic and outdated NiCd packs anymore, but I am still perplexed why they went to same-capacity lithium packs instead of doing something like slightly higher capacity NiMh packs

Comment

Originally posted by fuchstraumer View Post
          You can use LiPo packs but I feel it's a bit silly to do so unless you just happen to have them lying around (for me, I have tons left from when I used to do RC planes). I have been leaning back into NiMh packs - none of the environmental concerns of NiCd packs, still really affordable, easy to charge, and heavy. The extra weight is really nice, because while it's a liability on aircraft with tanks it doesn't have any major negative effects. Extra weight can make the suspension act more realistic (even if you've taken the time to soften it up by drilling new holes), and NiMh packs are less volatile and picky about being inside the often less-than-ideal environment inside a running RC tank.

I feel like HL must have some deal where they're able to acquire these packs so cheap. They package them in casing that's way too big, so it seems like they have some deal on getting the packs and circuitry cheap but then slap that inside their usual enclosure? There's nothing wrong with them, but the key benefits of Lithium batteries (that being high amperage support and light weight) just isn't nearly as important for tanks. I'm glad Heng Long isn't giving us toxic and outdated NiCd packs anymore, but I am still perplexed why they went to same-capacity lithium packs instead of doing something like slightly higher capacity NiMh packs
          The Li-Ion 7.4v batteries actually put out 8.4v. The extra volt provides for just a bit more performance from the 6.0/1 system. Tank handles better because the motors have more power on tap.

Running a 7.4v Li-Ion next to a 7.2v NiMH in identical 6.0 tanks the difference is clearly evident. The Li-Ion powered tank is smother handling (more power to motors=more torque for turning) and slightly faster. HL I believe switched to them in the new 6.0/1 tanks to gain this little extra performance. Also China is a huge manufacturer of Li-ion batteries so there is that too.

Personally I recommend FIRST thing to anyone buying a HL tank is to dump the POS stock battery(&charger) and use only quality “hobby grade” NiMH or IF experienced enough with them then Lipo batteries.

I agree with you that the added weight of the NiMH batteries is a huge plus and have said so many time prior on this forum. They are old school but they are the best all around choice for tanks IMO.

Comment

When I bought mine I opted for the 1800 Mah lipo. Easy to charge on my 4 button charger I use for my helicopters.
            I wish they had given us the chance to upgrade the radio batteries to a lipo also. Or maybe put a Spectrum satellite plug on the controller so I could use my DX7.
            BTW. Don't wait for the tank to power off. It draws the lipo down too far and will eventually kill the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

The Li-Ion 7.4v batteries actually put out 8.4v. The extra volt provides for just a bit more performance from the 6.0/1 system. Tank handles better because the motors have more power on tap.

Running a 7.4v Li-Ion next to a 7.2v NiMH in identical 6.0 tanks the difference is clearly evident. The Li-Ion powered tank is smother handling (more power to motors=more torque for turning) and slightly faster. HL I believe switched to them in the new 6.0/1 tanks to gain this little extra performance. Also China is a huge manufacturer of Li-ion batteries so there is that too.

Personally I recommend FIRST thing to anyone buying a HL tank is to dump the POS stock battery(&charger) and use only quality “hobby grade” NiMH or IF experienced enough with them then Lipo batteries.

I agree with you that the added weight of the NiMH batteries is a huge plus and have said so many time prior on this forum. They are old school but they are the best all around choice for tanks IMO.
              Ah right, forgot about the voltage bump! I actually just bought and started testing 8.4v NiMh packs sorta for that reason - and because I've been working on an article for my blog reviewing battery tech and choices for tanks. I think you and I are of like mind on this topic ^^

Originally posted by Wrench567 View Post
              When I bought mine I opted for the 1800 Mah lipo. Easy to charge on my 4 button charger I use for my helicopters.
              I wish they had given us the chance to upgrade the radio batteries to a lipo also. Or maybe put a Spectrum satellite plug on the controller so I could use my DX7.
              BTW. Don't wait for the tank to power off. It draws the lipo down too far and will eventually kill the pack.
              Li-Ion and NiMh controller batteries are pretty easy to find in my experience! For my cheap OEM controllers I just bought a bunch of AA NiMh cells in bulk and use those instead of wasteful disposable alkaline.

Also a low-voltage alarm is pretty easy to just add - just plug it into the balance leads and leave it in your tank. Much harder to miss that going off vs remembering to stop driving when you're having fun

Comment

Originally posted by fuchstraumer View Post

Also a low-voltage alarm is pretty easy to just add - just plug it into the balance leads and leave it in your tank. Much harder to miss that going off vs remembering to stop driving when you're having fun
                I have the low voltage alarms for my helicopters but they will not fit in the little battery compartment with the lipo. They are unbelievably loud. If I can hear one from across the flying field I'm sure I could hear it from 40 feet away. I haven't had my tank apart yet. Maybe I could rig one on the controller or even run a jumper into the battery box for the alarm. My drone has a flashing light and will return home before the cutoff voltage. That happened once. I didn't realize it was fighting a strong wind until it returned. At ground level there was barely a breeze.
                I should write Henglong about programmable shut off voltage in the controller. They seem like a company that listens to the consumer.
                Pete

Comment

Working...
                X