P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HL 1/16 scale M1A2 Abrams, 6.0s "Pro" Edition.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL 1/16 scale M1A2 Abrams, 6.0s "Pro" Edition.

I bought the Heng Long Drive Shaft bearing assembly for my 6.0s Abrams and after taking the drive sprocket off I found it already has the bearing "flange" molded in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Abrams_Drivebearings.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.3 KB ID:	265738

I test fitted one of the MF128ZZ flange bearings that I used on my HL Sherman and it fit perfectly so I'm assuming a a non flange bearing of the same size would do?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Abrams_Drivebearings_02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	265739

All it needs is the bearings so I popped the bearing out of the new "flange" and it fit nicely into the molded in flange.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Abrams_Drivebearings_03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	265740

Click image for larger version  Name:	Abrams_Drivebearings_04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.0 KB ID:	265741

Click image for larger version  Name:	Abrams_Drivebearings_05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	265742

Unless I'm missing something a couple of bucks for just bearings is way cheaper than the $10 I spent on the assemblies. I'm guessing these may be required for older versions?

I would think Stainless (SMR) for corrosion resistance would be preferred and you could just order the bearings if you have a 6.0s version lower hull?

8X12X3.5 Stainless Steel Bearing SMR128ZZ
    $1.99

8X12X3.5 Bearing MR128ZZ
    Chrome Steel
    $0.99

http://rcbearings.com/search.php?sea...ection=product

Interesting. The Challenger 2 doesn't have the flanges built in.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
      Interesting. The Challenger 2 doesn't have the flanges built in.
      The Challenger 2 uses a completely different size hull support because the through hull opening is much larger. The bearings are the same though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
        The Challenger 2 uses a completely different size hull support because the through hull opening is much larger. The bearings are the same though.
        I remember seeing that opening when installing my DAS kit and just being blown away they did that, haha. It really is an absurdly large hull opening, and should be fixed quick unless you want dirt or moisture getting in your hull!

I noticed the molded on support on my Abrams too - I remember that the old M41 used to have the flanges molded in, but nowadays it seems the lower hulls don't? It was a bizarre change to discover when looking back at my old M41 hull and realizing that newer models don't have that sprocket flange molded in as a general rule

Comment

You're right, fuchstraumer , that change caught me off guard as well. All I can say is that, in hindsight in a couple years, it will make more sense. For right now, though, I use plasticard to close up the hole or a 3DP part to recreate the flange.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I hope these bearings are better than the ones I got with the DAS kit I used cause the damn things have collapsed on me after only about two months. Corroded to bits, rusted on to the drive axle and caused the gearbox to jam, but naturally the motor kept running and stripped the pinion gear and bent the shaft of the motor. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200802_132823.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	266199Click image for larger version

Name:	20200802_132801.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	266200
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by saunderspeter071@gmail.com View Post
              I hope these bearings are better than the ones I got with the DAS kit I used cause the damn things have collapsed on me after only about two months. Corroded to bits, rusted on to the drive axle and caused the gearbox to jam, but naturally the motor kept running and stripped the pinion gear and bent the shaft of the motor. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200802_132823.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	266199Click image for larger version

Name:	20200802_132801.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	266200
              Can’t say I ever had a axel bearing explode like that on a tank and I have a few dozen in service, some for years.

Comment

Trust me mate not too happy about it right now. Still trying to get the remaining bits of bearing off the drive shaft. Gonna pull the bearing on the other shaft as well and see what state that one is in.

Comment

Well pulled the other DAS out and that one was frozen on the axle as well. As you can see it's corroded to hell and back again. And that's after being lubed before being installed and oil on the shaft. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200802_155140.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	266213Click image for larger version

Name:	20200802_154624.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	266214
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well pulled the other DAS out and that one was frozen on the axle as well. As you can see it's corroded to hell and back again. And that's after being lubed before being installed and oil on the shaft. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200802_155140.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	266213Click image for larger version

Name:	20200802_154624.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	266214
                    Did you drive your tank on the beach or in salt water?

Comment

No to both questions mate, only run her through fresh water after which she was washed out and lubed up again. Mainly cause there was usually mud involved. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200726_151245.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	266224Click image for larger version

Name:	20200726_153405.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	266225

Comment

Well pulled the other DAS out and that one was frozen on the axle as well. As you can see it's corroded to hell and back again. And that's after being lubed before being installed and oil on the shaft.
                        As deep as the Abrams drive sprocket is I can see how any moisture could be trapped inside the wheel against the bearing. I'm making a mental note that if I run my Abrams through water to remove the drive sprocket to make sure the bearing and shaft are dried quickly and lubed.

Since these tanks are not designed from the factory to be run through water I would advise people to maybe pack the outside of the bearing with a heavy grease before installing the drive wheel if they plan on "mudding".

Comment

Yep thats my plan from now on

Comment

Another option is replacing the bearings with stainless steel versions.

Comment

Yeah that's what I'm gonna do as well as the grease. Did a bit of research and found I could buy one bearing in NZ for the price of 4 off ali express.

Comment

upgrading my 5.3 version to 6.0 henglong abrams do I need to get more lights for backup,turn signal,other lights

Comment

Working...
                                X