X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken mount points

I was being the good grandpop and letting the grandrats a go with the Abrams when I noticed the turret wasn't rotating, opened it up and found the turret motor in the hull of the tank. Turns out the motor mount had broken off the hull. Has anyone had this happen before and what could be a good fix. I thought I could epoxy the mounts back on but they are all pretty much shattered beyond repair, would rather not have to buy a new upper hull if possible

I have been working on a Pershing that had many, many broken posts from the factory, (Its never been driven; cheaper and easier to fix than to send it back). All 3 rotation motor posts were broken. Some I was able to sleeve with styrene. I thought about drilling small holes through the upper hull to screw tiny screws into new posts and puttying over them. I settled on sleeving what I could, Epoxying the rest, then I created a "strap" mount. I glued two vertical posts on each side of the rotation motor and a cross brace that screws in to the ends, (so. I could still remove it). It seems to work fine.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3307.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	268962

Comment

Hey thanks for that, I.might give that brace idea a go.

Comment

On closer examination of the traverse gearbox I found it had multiple cracks of which 2 were in the support holes. I believe that the flexing of the gearbox caused the problem.

Comment

BcuriousR I don't know how often this breakage happens, but that bracket seems like a great item you could market.

Or maybe MotionRC could add something like that to their store.
          ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Sappo View Post
            On closer examination of the traverse gearbox I found it had multiple cracks of which 2 were in the support holes. I believe that the flexing of the gearbox caused the problem.
            In all the years I have been bashing on HL tanks I have never seen this happen....unless it was misuse. Meaning the turret was forcibly turned in a rather aggressive manner by an outside force.

Those mounts are really tough and can take A LOT, so if it was not rough handling it was a fluke that they broke.

It does happen that the turret gearbox motor burn out and gears get stripped, but that too takes a lot to see happen.

Comment

Yeah I have had to do the growley grandpa act on more than one occasion. But what do you do when the lil darlings want to play with pop

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

In all the years I have been bashing on HL tanks I have never seen this happen....unless it was misuse. Meaning the turret was forcibly turned in a rather aggressive manner by an outside force.

Those mounts are really tough and can take A LOT, so if it was not rough handling it was a fluke that they broke.

It does happen that the turret gearbox motor burn out and gears get stripped, but that too takes a lot to see happen.
                I have had my share of poorly assembled HL tanks. The biggest problems have been over tightening screws until they split or break. The M26 I'm working on is the worst I've ever seen, (brand new never run): Broken rotation motor mounts; turret upper and lower posts, and 3 of the suspension arms/roadwheel posts split, airsoft housing at the motor is cracked so the gears won't engage and the motor falls out (I gutted it for IR anyway). I like to tinker, so it's not big deal to me, but had I paid more, or was new to the hobby I'd be pretty grumpy about it. I've had pretty good luck with newer HL, so this one is a fluke. I'd aggressively look for a refund or return if it was a Taigen, Mato, or Tamiya.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3374.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	269285Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3373.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	269286Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3375.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	269287

Comment

Ouch, not good mate, like I said I believe my problem stems from little grabby fingers when pop isn't looking. Don't ya love grandkids. At least you can give them back
                  lol

Comment

Ive used epoxy+flox and aluminum tubing to repair and reinforce some screw bosses that had started splitting or sheared, especially on the motor mounts *cough* Dropping the lower hull on the floor with transmissions in is apparently bad for a tanks health, who know eh?

Comment

I just got a M26 and the turret was a mashup right of the box. The bosses holding the turret together were broken and the turret motor was hanging on the harness. It is a v5.3 and a standard with plastic gears and I only paid $113 so I'm thinking it's old stock that just been kicking around. With that said I like the strap idea and I can epoxy the turret back together. I'm not going to spend money on this and the M26 will be a great one for the grand kids to abuse.

Comment

Working...
                      X