Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Afrikakorps View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I think that in an "enclosed" tank you can have 1 to 4 figures, a single commander or most of the crew like in the SOL sherman pic.👍
    But in an "open" vehicle I think it is essential to have the correct number of figures in view. ( Space and size requirements governing )
    For example, I don't think my wirbelwind would look complete without the crew. As an open top vehicle without a crew it would look as if it was abandoned.😞
    Cheers
    Afrikakorps
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2077.JPG Views:	0 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	293939Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2074 copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.2 KB ID:	293941Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2078.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	293938Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2075.JPG Views:	0 Size:	155.4 KB ID:	293942
    Damnation ! That is hardcore high quality figures paint job. I knee to you. Dai

Comment

Finished the King Tiger crew. I ordered some, hopefully better, flat varnish as they are still too shiny to my liking.

When painting these it was really noticeable that these are recast figures. Some of the details are just terribly cast. Especially the head on the driver just looks... strange. So strange that I wonder about the quality of the original.

Also, I decided painting pea dot camo is not my hobby.

Better pictures from an actual camera will follow later when they're hopefully varnished better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	king tiger crew.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	295317

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
        Finished the King Tiger crew.]
        UV, I think you did a nice job with your tank crew. If the castings were sub-par, then you did great work. Agree that a bit of matte finish will enhance the figures. Well done. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thanks Elbee !

Comment

I did the last 1% of work that remained for these figures. I found a nice flat varnish: Humbrol nr. 39 "flat" spray, which is really very flat and also is a bear to spray. The cans have very little pressure so need constant shaking. I also picked out some details in gloss like eyes, metal buttons and metal insignia. All in all I'm content with these figures. But every time I look at them I keep wondering what it could have been if they weren't recasts. Maybe I'll replace these guys sometime when I'm ready to splurge 50 bucks on single figures.

Another detail I couldn't help adding (to the tank itself) is some details to the inside of the loader hatch. The last final detail is still on its way here: a 2m aerial for on the back of the tank. And then I promised myself this thing really is cosmetically done.

Couple more pictures, leisurely riding their King Tiger:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Crew1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	295788
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Crew2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	295787
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Crew3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.7 KB ID:	295786
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Crew4.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.0 KB ID:	295785
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Crew5.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	295789

Comment

UV, the matte finish changes the figures' appearance greatly. Very nicely done. Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Love your faces, did you use oils or? Also good job on hair, using the castings to their best advantage.
                Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Thanks so much guys!

SoCalBobS No oils on these. I used soft pastels instead. After your basic skintone paint of choice I used a wash of watered down Armypainter Quickshade soft tone (the bottled ink style, not the big cans used for dipping complete miniatures). Then highlight again with a slightly lighter skintone. The fun part came in adding some color to the faces: I used Faber-Castell soft pastels. you can crush them to a powder, mix them, thin them with water or use them dry. They're basically like weathering pigments, but in a wider variety of color! I mostly used dark pink mixed with medium brown to tint their faces. just dab it on slightly wet with a small brush in logical places like the cheeks, lips, etc. Then rub it in with a small q-tip or even just your finger. Don't forget to seal with a spray or airbrush varnish just like you'd do with weathering pigments.

Comment

Thanks so much guys!

SoCalBobS No oils on these. I used soft pastels instead. After your basic skintone paint of choice I used a wash of watered down Armypainter Quickshade soft tone (the bottled ink style, not the big cans used for dipping complete miniatures). Then highlight again with a slightly lighter skintone. The fun part came in adding some color to the faces: I used Faber-Castell soft pastels. you can crush them to a powder, mix them, thin them with water or use them dry. They're basically like weathering pigments, but in a wider variety of color! I mostly used dark pink mixed with medium brown to tint their faces. just dab it on slightly wet with a small brush in logical places like the cheeks, lips, etc. Then rub it in with a small q-tip or even just your finger. Don't forget to seal with a spray or airbrush varnish just like you'd do with weathering pigments.
                    Nice to see someone still using pastel chalks for this kind of stuff. I used to use them many years ago for vehicle weathering.

Comment

Originally posted by oldwolf View Post
                      Nice to see someone still using pastel chalks for this kind of stuff. I used to use them many years ago for vehicle weathering.
                      OW, I have missed welcoming you, so "Welcome to the Squawk, Sir." Glad to have you onboard. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post

OW, I have missed welcoming you, so "Welcome to the Squawk, Sir." Glad to have you onboard. Best, LB
                        Thanks, I am enjoying being here.

Comment

Yeah, I bought a box of them a couple years ago and find they have many purposes in various hobby projects. They are easy to work with, very forgiving and dry in an instant if applied wet.

Comment

I use bright orange pastels for rust and streaking, white and gray in combination with powdered graphite for cordite stains on muzzlebrakes. You can also get colorless acrylic paint "base" to mix pigments like that, ive even seen a tutorial that used household spices like cinnamon or paprika to mix a paste to brush on for various effects. I havnt quite got into using any of these methods for figure painting tho.

Comment

I spent the afternoon mixing up the resin figures I got off Aliexpress. It's turning out a lot better than I hoped. Most of the figures that I though would be too big actually work quite well with some cutting and swapping of heads.

Still need to make the driver, didn't have time for him yet. After that it's time to fill seams and then onto painting them.

Name:	WIN_20210110_19_09_02_Pro.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	293897Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20210110_19_10_26_Pro.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	293896
                              I need to order this from AE. Do you have a link to these products? Dai

Comment

Finished the King Tiger crew. I ordered some, hopefully better, flat varnish as they are still too shiny to my liking.

When painting these it was really noticeable that these are recast figures. Some of the details are just terribly cast. Especially the head on the driver just looks... strange. So strange that I wonder about the quality of the original.

Also, I decided painting pea dot camo is not my hobby.

Better pictures from an actual camera will follow later when they're hopefully varnished better.

Name:	king tiger crew.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	295317
                                I would like to know the originals. I hate Chinese knockoffs. Dai

Comment

dai phan Think well before buying these, as they are recasts and not the best of quality. I think these may be recasts of largely Alpine miniatures.

The sets I bought are (Ali does a very bad dutch translation which I can't seem to turn off. I hope you get this in your language):
                                  1/16 TANK CREW, wereldoorlog II Twee mensen Half van de body WWII Resin Figuur soldaten GK Ongecoat Geen kleur|world war ii|people figuresgerman soldier - AliExpress
                                  1/16 Panzer Crew Frankrijk 1941, Resin Model figuur GK, Soldier Militaire thema van WWII Ongemonteerd en ongeverfd kit|Actie- & Speelgoedfiguren| - AliExpress
                                  1/16 Montage Hars Figuur Kit Tankman|Modelbouwen Kits| - AliExpress
                                  1/16 Schaal Resin Figuur Tanker 120Mm|Modelbouwen Kits| - AliExpress

Comment

Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
                                    I use bright orange pastels for rust and streaking, white and gray in combination with powdered graphite for cordite stains on muzzlebrakes. You can also get colorless acrylic paint "base" to mix pigments like that, ive even seen a tutorial that used household spices like cinnamon or paprika to mix a paste to brush on for various effects. I havnt quite got into using any of these methods for figure painting tho.
                                    I myself never used foodstuff for painting. Many years ago I was into fantasy/sci-fi wargaming and there were people who used stuff like herbs, spices, etc to enhance their figure's bases. I'd be weary as colors might fade faster? Or worse, they could rot over time?

Comment

I myself never used foodstuff for painting. Many years ago I was into fantasy/sci-fi wargaming and there were people who used stuff like herbs, spices, etc to enhance their figure's bases. I'd be weary as colors might fade faster? Or worse, they could rot over time?
                                      Some of the powdered spices are a bit hydroscopic, so unless very heavily dulcoted they absorb moisture in humid weather and then mold can indeed become a problem. Might make for interesting weathering on a futuristic scifi tank in an alien world setting but otherwise not desirable, lol.

Comment

Some of the powdered spices are a bit hydroscopic, so unless very heavily dulcoted they absorb moisture in humid weather and then mold can indeed become a problem. Might make for interesting weathering on a futuristic scifi tank in an alien world setting but otherwise not desirable, lol.
                                        Thats good information to know, I hadnt thought of that when I watched the tutorial.

Comment

Hello all,

I got some figures from EB shipped from China. I thought the casting was decent. Dai

█ 1/16 Resin Tank Commander Half Body Unassembled Unpainted KY592 | eBay
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X