Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dai phan Yeah, some are better than others. Unfortunately the quality of the casting only really shows itself when you spray some primer on the figures.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
      dai phan Yeah, some are better than others. Unfortunately the quality of the casting only really shows itself when you spray some primer on the figures.
      Yes that is what I saw when I primed the figures but not bad overall. I have zero figure painting experience so my assement is very supsect. Dai

Comment

Hi all...

The hatch depicted on HL T34 is not accurate right? It should be at the vertical position and half moon shape with the curve on top. That means my crew is too low in its position? Dai
        Attached Files

Comment

dai phan You can glue pieces of styrene to the bottom of the figure to lift it up. It's what I did when they sat too low.

Comment

dai phan You can glue pieces of styrene to the bottom of the figure to lift it up. It's what I did when they sat too low.
            I am going to mix some resin and mold into the bottom to raise him up. I thought the front panel lays down flat but actually stands vertical to protect the crew ? Since this area is not scale, I may leave it as is. Dai

Comment

Does anyone know who would be able to paint a couple of figures for me? I have not the steady hand or eyesight to accomplish. What would the fee be?

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post
                Does anyone know who would be able to paint a couple of figures for me? I have not the steady hand or eyesight to accomplish. What would the fee be?
                I never used such a service, but I would suggest searching google for figure painters or miniature painters. There are many of them in the wargaming world.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post
                  I used the website "fiverr" and found a guy I have used many times since. Most freelancers will give a price range in their ad, but of course it depends on what you want them to paint and so each job is quoted individually based on a photo or description from you. There seemed to be a lot of miniature painters on fiverr (and by that I mean people who paint miniatures, not small people who paint), but there are other freelancer websites also, such as "upwork" or "freelancer". Most of the market seems to be fantasy / D&D type stuff. I suppose if your are a real stickler for military accuracy you might want a person who specializes in that, but on the other hand a good artist should be able to replicate anything if you supply them with good pictures.

You might also consider location. Shipping both ways can increase the total cost by a large percentage for a small job. Fiverr and other sites allow you to search by location also, if I recall correctly. So then you might find somebody nearby and drop off / pick up without shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

I used the website "fiverr" and found a guy I have used many times since. Most freelancers will give a price range in their ad, but of course it depends on what you want them to paint and so each job is quoted individually based on a photo or description from you. There seemed to be a lot of miniature painters on fiverr (and by that I mean people who paint miniatures, not small people who paint), but there are other freelancer websites also, such as "upwork" or "freelancer". Most of the market seems to be fantasy / D&D type stuff. I suppose if your are a real stickler for military accuracy you might want a person who specializes in that, but on the other hand a good artist should be able to replicate anything if you supply them with good pictures.

You might also consider location. Shipping both ways can increase the total cost by a large percentage for a small job. Fiverr and other sites allow you to search by location also, if I recall correctly. So then you might find somebody nearby and drop off / pick up without shipping.
                    Thank you kind sir ! This turned out to be a Godsend, as I think I found someone in the US who is quite reasonable "mehminipainting"

Comment

I never used such a service, but I would suggest searching google for figure painters or miniature painters. There are many of them in the wargaming world.
                      Thank you !

Comment

I found this figure @ AliExpress and was curious to its authenticity:

Considering the price, and it looks to be exactly like the SLS printed items found at Shapeways

I'm skeptical about purchasing. SLS printed stuff is incredible, but not cheap in the slightest, Thoughts?

Comment

For the Aliexpress price it's worth a shot. I'm pretty sure it's not 3D printed as it's a lot cheaper and quicker for those chinese bootleggers to just cast in resin. Be prepared that the casting quality might be sub-par.

I didn't see any figures on that Shapeways link?

Comment

Figures really bring the models to life. I am always gathering more when I can. I still have about 10-12 to build and paint. Keep an eye out for Waltersons figures. Taigen usually carried them and should have them again when goods from China re moving again.
                            I would like to say to stay away from recasters if you know that they are doing that kind of thing, Recasting makes products cheaper sure, but it’s stolen intellectual property and then discourages the sculptors from making new figures. I know of two that used to make figures and stopped because there figures were being ripped off and sold on eBay. It’s not fair to the sculptor and retailer If there is one involved. How would you like your product being ripped off and sold at a price that undercuts you. You would throw in the towel, and be done with it. I myself am a master modeler that has made many things for model trains and found that at least one of my products was ripped off. So pay the extra money and go original, support the people making our hobby better, not the people making a buck off us. Click image for larger version

Name:	C5EE8320-C1A3-4DE6-8671-5C6733FD9BFC.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	306548
                            RC tank parts and accessories I make
                            www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

RichJohnson Love your lineup of Shermans there! And oh yes, I totally agree on the whole not supporting recasting stance. Back in the day I used to build various scifi scale models, including resin garage kits both from the US and Japan. Things can get costly, but are usually worth it.
                              However, when I see a single 1/16 scale resin figure from a company like SOL being sold for near € 50,00 I really cannot justify that price for a single figure.
                              The lack and variety of readily available figures in this scale should also be taken into consideration: It's difficult to find figures that have the detail and character that I personally am looking for. The cheaper figures mostly look very generic. Then when you stumble upon Aliexpress where there's a wide variety of figures to be found, the choice is easily made. I buy a recast figure of of something I'd never buy the original from because of a.) price or b.) unavailability (original out of production). Then again, the recasts are mostly duds, as the quality is severely lacking on them.

I'll look into Waltersons, let's see what they have. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

Gringo, your Fiverr suggestion has paid big dividends. I thank you. I found this gentleman by the name of "mehminipainting" . His work is great as far as I'm concerned, keeps me up to date on progress and makes every effort to make sure I'm satisfied. His prices are far more reasonable than one would think. This "factory" Henglong commander is almost done, and I couldn't be happier:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sherman tank commander.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.7 KB ID:	308646

Needless to say, I have more to send to him...Soon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	US Tank Crew.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	308648
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X