ID:	284971Click image for larger version

Name:	image_64257.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	284972Click image for larger version

Name:	image_64258.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	284973 Here are a few pics at various ranges from about 30-45 feet.
    Think i will make a few foamboard 1/16 scale buildings as targets. Will have to order at least two more.
    Currently using 3 AAA standard batteries for power. Will probably switch to 1s lipo's.

Comment

FWIW, I inadvertently left my 1S battery connected for a couple of days in my workbench, and it didn't appear to have been drained hardly at all. I'm guessing it doesn't pull much if any current. AAA batteries would probably last forever.
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Thanks Bob, good to know.

Comment

when none of the LEDs are lit, the passive current draw per unit is approximately 5 ma, referencing battery capacities here: http://techlib.com/reference/batteries.html, we can see that 3 AAA batteries (in series) have ~1000mah of energy, this means that if left on and no shots are registered (that is no LEDs are ever on), a set of AAA batteries could last ~200 hours straight. Conversely at the other extreme, if all the LEDs are always on (you're constantly shooting at it), even then, the current draw is ~85ma (20 ma per LED + 5 ma receivers) so it would last ~11 hours of constant use. In practice, you're probably only shooting at the targets every now and then, so conservatively you should be able to get 50 hours straight of play time with them. From these calculations it's easy to see that these are very efficient and low power, and if you don't want to deal with LiPo's, then AAA are a perfectly fine option. Personally it looks like the easiest option would be to use 3 AA batteries which are comparable in price but have 2.4x the capacity and run time.

Comment

A buddy made a 3D printed stand for these targets. If there’s interest, he will be posting the STL file for others to print out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0E36F05-388B-400D-BBB0-CA14EBF216C0.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	310046

Comment

Can I have the STL? I have a printer
              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

He'll be putting it on Thingiverse sometime this week.

Comment

Very cool let us know Thanks Bob

Comment

Here’s the address:

This is a holder for the RC Tank target sold by LegoDEI on Etsy:https://www.etsy.com/listing/887629159/modular-ir-target This is a simple stand to hold it upright, and leaves room for the connectors on the back. The holes are sized for #1 screws, and you should also put a nylon washer under the screws to prevent stressing the board or shorting anything on it. I printed it on Form3 with Tough2000 Resin. The holes fit a #1 screw reasonably tightly, but this could vary a lot depending on printer. According to tap/die chart, a #53 jobber drill bit should be appropriate to prepare the hole for a #1 screw, if it comes out too tight.

Comment

Thank your friend and thank you Sir

Comment

Thanks. Thank Gringotuerto for me. He use to be on RC groups a lot.
                        Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Great, another thing to upgrade on my Sherman. Looked at the Etsy shop, and I think I need the emitter, receiver and the targets. And probably times two...

TTFN
                          Rob
                          Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Working...
                          X