X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dai phan View Post

Does HL know this and still puts in under powered motors as cost saving measures? Dai
    For 95% of the buyers the stock 380 motors are perfectly fine and all they will ever need, as to them these are “toy tanks” not “hobby tanks” .

Stock 380 motors have their place, I even have tanks were I prefer the 380 motors, though in some I run these at 9.6v which bumps them up to somewhere in between stock performance and a set of red 390 motors.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

You did a great job. Now get out and get those motors hot and see how well your upgrades works.
      A resounding success.

Running fast as possible doing loops, figure 8s, and dog bones on carpet nonstop for the full charge of a 3500 mah battery the motors only got modestly warm. The battery still got hot, but noticeably less without that hot electronics smell, and the MFU didn't even seem warm. While hard to gauge accurately, it actually seems run time is longer with the 2 fans running full time.

I added a couple of deflectors to further concentrate the airflow around the motors. The new setup has virtually eliminated contaminates being drawn in off the tracks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3399.JPG Views:	0 Size:	214.3 KB ID:	284187Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3401.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.6 KB ID:	284188Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3400.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.0 KB ID:	284189

Comment

Took it outside today, 48 deg, and ran it on our road gravel driveway on high setting, at full throttle nonstop for the complete charge. At the end of the charge the MFU was still cold, the motors were barely warm, and the battery about the temperature of bathwater. No dirt, or debris got in the hull.

Comment

Originally posted by windmill View Post
          Took it outside today, 48 deg, and ran it on our road gravel driveway on high setting, at full throttle nonstop for the complete charge. At the end of the charge the MFU was still cold, the motors were barely warm, and the battery about the temperature of bathwater. No dirt, or debris got in the hull.
          At 48deg outside I would not expect any overheating. The big test is noon day summer heat and sun beating down on the tank, adding extra heat to the top and bottom of the hulls both direct and radiant (underside of hull off the ground). I suspect it will get hot, but you are moving enough air that it will not overheat, melt parts or have the MFU reach it’s thermal shut down point. All suck when they happen....LoL

Comment

At 48deg outside I would not expect any overheating. The big test is noon day summer heat and sun beating down on the tank, adding extra heat to the top and bottom of the hulls both direct and radiant (underside of hull off the ground). I suspect it will get hot, but you are moving enough air that it will not overheat, melt parts or have the MFU reach it’s thermal shut down point. All suck when they happen....LoL
            Prior to modifications in similar weather, the motors got just about too hot to comfortably touch, so it sounds very encouraging that I won't have anything to worry about in the conditions you describe...... though that's only about a week a year here in Seattle...

Comment

Originally posted by windmill View Post

Prior to modifications in similar weather, the motors got just about too hot to comfortably touch, so it sounds very encouraging that I won't have anything to worry about in the conditions you describe...... though that's only about a week a year here in Seattle...
              Count yourself blessed because it like 10 months out of the year here..LoL

Comment

Count yourself blessed because it like 10 months out of the year here..LoL
                I do because I hate hot weather. That said, the rain and gray does get old at times.

Even with our mild weather, overheating was a real concern for me based on the first test run I made with the red motors without fans. My concerns were exacerbated when I discovered through this forum the red motors I got are likely counterfeit as they're dark red with white fans.

Comment

Working...
                X