Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clear a barrel.

This'll be a "short story made long"...

Recently I replaced the short barrel on my HL Sherman with a long barrel, a la Fury. For those who haven't done a replacement, it involves accessing the turret interior, unscrewing a bunch of screws to remove the rotation gear, the bottom of the turret, and maybe removing or loosening the airsoft mechanism, pulling the barrel off, putting in the new one, then reversing the disassembly procedure.

All went well until I fired the gun. No pellet! It had worked before. Was the pellet lodged in the gun? As luck would have it, I was using some biodegradable glow in the dark pellets. I got out my trusty high intensity LED flashlight and aimed it down the barrel for a few seconds. When I looked down the barrel, sure enough, way down there was a faint green glow!

Now, how to get it out. Go through the whole disassembly process again? Very tedious. Work smart, not hard, I always say. So, I took a piece of cardboard and used a hole puncher to make a hole - almost the same diameter as the bore! I took my dust buster type hand vacuum, put the cardboard up to the muzzle, put the vacuum on it and turned it on. My gosh, success! the pellet was pulled out. There were three more behind it, which I vacuumed and picked out.

Not done yet. Why did it get stuck in a new barrel? Most logical answer was dirt. Out came my .22LR cleaning kit with a swab. Sure enough, there was a bunch of dirt in it. Ran the swab down a couple of times, tried some pellets. Aside from a ricochet off my workbench, all was good.

What's the moral, use glow in the dark pellets? Actually, it's clean the bore BEFORE you install it.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Great information here, Bob. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

I'm lucky, the Abrams barrel just has one screw holding it to the mantlet, off, bore cleaned and back on in less than 5 minutes

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7070.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	319002

I ordered a M4 Sherman Fury barrel from Toucan. It arrived. It doesn't look right. It looks as long and as big as the barrel of the King Tiger 88mm gun. I sent this same picture to Toucan and they responded that it was the right item. Does anyone have this barrel? Am I wrong or right? Thank you!

Comment

That's one I bought. You can always chop it.

Name:	M4 Sherman 04.JPEG
Views:	271
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	319007
          Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
            That's one I bought. You can always chop it.

Name:	M4 Sherman 04.JPEG
Views:	271
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	319007
            Ok! I looked through the barrel and it was clear and clean. This weekend I will follow your footsteps and install it the way you did.....last November.

Comment

I did it. I replaced the short barrel for the Fury barrel. It is so cool when fires with the recoil system kicks in.

Name:	IMG_7116.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	319221

Comment

Working...
              X