Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the proper maintenance tasks?

Hello all,

I have 10 HL tanks and a Taigen JS-2. Each week the tanks get about 10-15 minutes run time each inside as well as outside on short grass and pavements. Some tanks run very smooth like the JS-2, HL Bulldog and KV-1. Some just lumber along with clanking sounds that are such an ear sore. Can someone tell me the maintence regiment to keep these tanks in working order? Like lubing, oiling the gears, open and clean up the inside, tightening up the screws... etc...? Dai

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
    Hello all,

I have 10 HL tanks and a Taigen JS-2. Each week the tanks get about 10-15 minutes run time each inside as well as outside on short grass and pavements. Some tanks run very smooth like the JS-2, HL Bulldog and KV-1. Some just lumber along with clanking sounds that are such an ear sore. Can someone tell me the maintence regiment to keep these tanks in working order? Like lubing, oiling the gears, open and clean up the inside, tightening up the screws... etc...? Dai
    General maintenance is simple. Give your gears a good grease job when new or once a year, check your track pins for proper seating before and after running and tap any out of seat pins back into place. Check that your sprocket screws are tight before running, and ever so often check your suspension arm hull screws are also tight.

Otherwise unless you have some running issues there is very little needed. Dust and dirt getting inside the tank will NOT hurt or hamper function.

Clanking is fully normal for r/c tanks just as it is for real tanks. No way around it, tanks just clank, pop, grind, and whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

General maintenance is simple. Give your gears a good grease job when new or once a year, check your track pins for proper seating before and after running and tap any out of seat pins back into place. Check that your sprocket screws are tight before running, and ever so often check your suspension arm hull screws are also tight.

Otherwise unless you have some running issues there is very little needed. Dust and dirt getting inside the tank will NOT hurt or hamper function.

Clanking is fully normal for r/c tanks just as it is for real tanks. No way around it, tanks just clank, pop, grind, and whine.
      Thank you Rubicon99 ! Can you please recommend a quality brand name for the greese ? Thank YOU !!! Dai

Comment

Just ordered these ... Dai
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Rubicon99 ! Can you please recommend a quality brand name for the greese ? Thank YOU !!! Dai
          I have been using simple Mobile 1 red automotive synthetic bearings grease for decades as my main lube but I also use 20-50 motor oil for some applications. Keep in mind these are simply loose fitting gearboxes so nothing fancy is required.

Just make sure the gears and bushing are kept wet with some kind of lubricant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

ABSOLUTELY! 👍👍👍👍👍 Exactly what I would have said! 😁😁😁😁😁
            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I put the grease onto the gears and how about the oil ? Dai

Comment

For all my RC stuff, especially my race cars, I use Lucas Oil red grease and Marvel Mystery Oil. Both are excellent and not expensive either

Comment

I put the grease onto the gears and how about the oil ? Dai
                  I use the oil on the gearbox bushing, bearings (most are not sealed) and gear shafts. One drop on each. How often depends on the frequency of running in moderate to extremely dusty terrain.

Example below I would consider moderately dusty and I would service the gearboxes after a few hours of continuous use in it.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	4970225F-1164-4760-A036-927D22B2BC37.jpeg
Views:	391
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	292886
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	F5E089D2-779E-4220-BA93-B87407D0D41B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	179.9 KB ID:	292885

Comment

I run my tanks very hard! The key to being happy with them is continued maintenance. Learn how to do it. It's easy. After a full day of tanking, when I get home I put each tank on my work table and after cleaning I go through it thoroughly. I check the tightness of every screw. Including ones holding wheels together. Some have two-piece Idlers. Then I open the tank and fill up the smoker and check that the gearbox screws are tight. Things do break so I will order spare parts from Toucan. They are very helpful. I know that my tank is ready for the next outing.

Comment

Originally posted by karltrek View Post
                      I run my tanks very hard! The key to being happy with them is continued maintenance. Learn how to do it. It's easy. After a full day of tanking, when I get home I put each tank on my work table and after cleaning I go through it thoroughly. I check the tightness of every screw. Including ones holding wheels together. Some have two-piece Idlers. Then I open the tank and fill up the smoker and check that the gearbox screws are tight. Things do break so I will order spare parts from Toucan. They are very helpful. I know that my tank is ready for the next outing.
                      With repeated openings do you find the plastic screw holes begin to strip? Dai

Comment

With repeated openings do you find the plastic screw holes begin to strip? Dai
                        After opening the tank up, do not over tighten the screws when putting it back together, Start them ALL before tightening any of them. Once they are all properly started, screw them down snug, but not tight. They are only going in to plastic !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cascabel View Post

After opening the tank up, do not over tighten the screws when putting it back together, Start them ALL before tightening any of them. Once they are all properly started, screw them down snug, but not tight. They are only going in to plastic !!
                          Agreed! Never over tighten the screws. Just screw in until you feel it stop. No more. Seems to be holding up just fine.

Comment

I put a smidge of vaseline on them, to reduce the friction and resistance. No need to overtighten. If they work loose, it won't fall out of the sky like an r/c airplane. Ask me how I know. Heh.
                            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Working...
                            X