You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade HL King Tiger with the BEST gear box possible.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade HL King Tiger with the BEST gear box possible.

Hi all,

I would like to upgrade the HL KT with the best gearbox possible that is pretty much drop in fit. Can you recommend one? Thanks Dai

This is a drop in fit. All bearing and high quality. Higher speed Blue motors.

Comment

Originally posted by karltrek View Post
      This is a drop in fit. All bearing and high quality. Higher speed Blue motors.
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-L-59mm-Ul...item342fa50cb8
      I have heard about the red motors as well ? Dai

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
        Hi all,

I would like to upgrade the HL KT with the best gearbox possible that is pretty much drop in fit. Can you recommend one? Thanks Dai
        I would go with a “black” Taigen 4:1 bearing gearbox. Opting for the upgraded 390 motors version. Taigen unlike HL’s red Ultimate gearboxes does not use brass finale gears or brass drive shafts. Taigen are all steel gears and shafts. I would also swap out the sprockets to theTaigen versions.

You will lose some top end speed, but you will gain better low speed control and torque vs a red HL 3:1 Unlimited gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

I would go with a “black” Taigen 4:1 bearing gearbox. Opting for the upgraded 390 motors version. Taigen unlike HL’s red Ultimate gearboxes does not use brass finale gears or brass drive shafts. Taigen are all steel gears and shafts. I would also swap out the sprockets to theTaigen versions.

You will lose some top end speed, but you will gain better low speed control and torque vs a red HL 3:1 Unlimited gearbox.

So with Taigen I need to buy new sprockets? I am still new at this so drop in w/o modifications will be appropriate. Dai

Comment

So with Taigen I need to buy new sprockets? I am still new at this so drop in w/o modifications will be appropriate. Dai
            Yes drop in. But I highly recommend the Taigen sprockets to go along with the new Taigen black gearboxes. The drive shafts at times have a very tight fit with HL sprockets. You can get away with some very simple sanding of the Taigen shafts should the fit be to tight.

Simply install the gearboxes. Hold some sanding paper on the shaft end and run the motor. At most it takes 5 or so minutes per shaft. It also allows for a “run in” time for the gearboxes.

NOT all the Taigen gearboxes drive shafts need this it really depends on the HL sprockets. But to bypass any chance of needing to do it I recommend simply just buying the Taigen sprockets. They are cheap and slightly higher quality then the HL ones anyways.

Comment

Too bad all " SOLD OUT" at Imex and none on EB. Dai

Comment

Hi all,

How about version 2? Better than Ultimate HL box? Dai

New from Taigen Tanks are our new steel CNC machined ball bearing gearboxes! These gearboxes are a big improvement over previous gearboxes with the addition of ball bearings for each reduction shaft and the final drive shafts. Shims have also been added which reduces lateral play in the gears to almost 0! Taigen Gearbo

Comment

Hi all,

How about version 2? Better than Ultimate HL box? Dai

https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...35669581037735
                  Yes it is a stronger gearboxes then the HL Ultimate. Also opt for a 4;1 which is slower but with more torque for better low speed control. Good match with a Tiger if you want realistic scale speeds. By simply adding the Taigen 390 4:1 pinion motors you can make it have even more torque. The motors can be found on Taigen’s website as a stand alone item.

Comment

Yes it is a stronger gearboxes then the HL Ultimate. Also opt for a 4;1 which is slower but with more torque for better low speed control. Good match with a Tiger if you want realistic scale speeds. By simply adding the Taigen 390 4:1 pinion motors you can make it have even more torque. The motors can be found on Taigen’s website as a stand alone item.
                    I prefer V3 but since it is out of stock I will try this one. Dai

Comment

Hi all...

The Taigen gear box and idlers/sprockets for the King Tiger are here. Thank you Rubicon99 for your expert guidance. Dai
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X