Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heng Long Stug III

Hello all,

Thinking of getting this tank. Maybe I will have better luck without the turning turret. Please advise on pros and cons. Thanks Dai
    Attached Files

Some info in this thread.

Hey guys. Knowing full well that there will be headaches in the future caused by this choice, I've bought a Heng Long Sturmgeschutz III. (Whisper: it has a 5.3 main board.) Why, you ask? Number of reasons. First, HL doesn't make a 6.0 version. I'm told by HL USA that they wouldn't make one until winter, if at all. Given this,
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I don't think the Stug III is available in 6.0 yet, so would need to be converted like BobS did to have all the latest features.
      I just ordered one of Toucan's static Stug III models to do just that.
      I've already converted a Pershing and a King Tiger. It's really not hard to do. Looking forward to it
      Steve
      ​​​

Comment

Here's mine, with LegoDEI in the commander's hatch and an FPV camera on deck. I removed the Airsoft mech and placed the LED in the barrel. The 5.3 version has no spot for the LED. I find the smaller HL tanks to be quick and responsive, since they're using the same mechanisms as the larger ones.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	StuG III 13.jpeg
Views:	1360
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	294661

Comment

Greetings Dai:
          Read your post on the purchase of the Stug III. I wonder if you are discouraged? Your post sounded like the purchase was a resignation to something less than a quality RC experience with your other tanks. Just concerned. I too recognize that things happen to any moving part, but I enjoy the diagnosis and repair as a part of the experience. If you are having a difficult time, where can others help you succeed in this hobby? I would be one who would be willing to share my electronic as well as mechanical talents to help you get the enjoyment out of your investments in this hobby. Let me know how I can help.

Comment

With 7.0 MFUs coming out, the Stug still uses 5.3? I will skip then. Dai

Comment

Someday HL may release 7.0 versions, but for now you would have to rely on your own skills. If you want a StuG III, you gotta modify. Those of who've done so because we like that tank. It's simple when you know what to do, and I got all the help I needed from my fellow tankers here! A while back I queried HL about them upgrading it, and they replied that it wasn't as popular as their other tanks so it was on the back burner. Not so for me, hence my upgrade!

Comment

Henglong just upgraded the Panzer III to the 6.0 system. Maybe the StuG III is next?

Comment

Does anyone plan to put side skirts on his Stug III? Or has anyone done it?

Comment

AFAIK the Stug III is out with the TK7.0(s) system. I bought mine and asked the seller to side-grade it to the TK6.0S. Not going to have a Stug running around with a Turbo-diesel or even worse a Turbine engine.

About the side skirts; I am planning to scratch-build a set of them. Probably brass sheet or ABS, not sure what material I will be going with. On that note; the Stug needs some other work too, like opening the top hatch, removing the MG from the driver's vision port (seriously, Heng Long?) and to "somewhere" else. Possibly try to get the MG32 on top to work?. And that's just the shortlist of some of the things that sorta annoyed me. Might look into getting the gun to traverse a tiny bit like the real one, and/or replacing the mantlet. But with my current load of projects the Stug is nowhere near the top.

TTFN,
                    Rob
                    Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

I just got my Stug III with the 7.0 and it is running very well. Mine is the upgraded version with metal wheels and tracks. It definitely needs a paint job!

Comment

MPD, great news! I do have a detail question for you. Where did they put the IR bulb? I looked at Toucan's pictures and I'm guessing they are old stick photos, with no visible bulb on the gun.

Toucan USA appears to have received a good shipment of 6.0 and 7.0 tanks that they have posted on eBay.

Comment

From the picture, I think this is where IR bulb is. Hopefully MPD will confirm.

Name:	s-l1600A.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	324588

Comment

In this youtube https://youtu.be/asYj1WbtmVI vid it shows the IR bulb below/starboard of the main gun.. around the 6 minute 30 second mark...

Comment

Ah, that's a new hole. Thanks!

Comment

I got a new HL Stug III this week. Everything looks the same as the previous model. I bought a customized version. The IR bulb was at the right of the main gun. The power switch is now at the rear so there is no need to turn the tank over and turn it on/off anymore. I bought a static version before and put in a 6.0S board, steel gearboxes, metal idlers, sprockets, and tracks. No work internal is needed on this one except deciding on which armor division to paint on it. So now I have 2 of them. I figure if the German made over 10k of them, I can at least have 2 :-) Oh! I did order the one from Takom. it won't be delivered until December.

Name:	IMG_7878A.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	326235

Name:	IMG_7876A.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	326236

Name:	IMG_7875A.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	326237

Comment

And as always, HL installed the tracks the wrong direction :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                                    And as always, HL installed the tracks the wrong direction :-)
                                    I've seen museums make the same mistake! Maybe HL used them as a resource. 🙄

Nice to see the Stug has functional track tensioners.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                      Here's mine, with LegoDEI in the commander's hatch and an FPV camera on deck. I removed the Airsoft mech and placed the LED in the barrel. The 5.3 version has no spot for the LED. I find the smaller HL tanks to be quick and responsive, since they're using the same mechanisms as the larger ones.

Name:	StuG III 13.jpeg
Views:	1360
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	294661
                                      After all these months, I am now able to have a Stug III to join your platoon :-) It comes with the HL IR though.

Name:	IMG_8211.JPG
Views:	665
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	329326

Comment

In pair

Name:	IMG_8205A.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	329328Click image for larger version