Roban - World Class Scale Helicopters

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sturmgeschutz III - don't do this at home, kids!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sturmgeschutz III - don't do this at home, kids!

Hey guys. Knowing full well that there will be headaches in the future caused by this choice, I've bought a Heng Long Sturmgeschutz III. (Whisper: it has a 5.3 main board.) Why, you ask? Number of reasons. First, HL doesn't make a 6.0 version. I'm told by HL USA that they wouldn't make one until winter, if at all. Given this, existing stock is bound to dwindle. Also, I owned an earlier 49mhz version, long gone. Finally, the 1:76 Airfix kit was the first tank kit I ever bought.

Think of it as a favorite girlfriend. You know she will give you grief, but she's so cool! Someday I will update her to a 6.0, but not in the immediate future. I'm going to use this thread to share my impressions and experiences, for the benefit of anyone contemplating the same. Of course, everyone can chime in.

I just took it out of the box and did the 2 minute test, as recommended by Alpha & company. I got a metal tracked version.

1. The internal gears are zinc; metal but not steel. How well they last will be something to monitor.
    2. There are two speeds; slow/realistic, and zoom.
    3. Airsoft firing is different.I had to read the manual (sacre bleu!) Hold down the right top button and push the left stick forward.
    4. There is no IR receiver or emitter.
    5. There are two sounds. That's fine, a Stug III with a turbine sound might be off-putting!
    6. The battery is a 2-cell Lithium Ion, just as junky as the 6.0 ones.

That's it for now. In case anyone wants to read the box, I've attached a picture. Also, it comes with two pretty nice crew figures.

History note: it was the second most numerous German WW2 AFV, over 10,000 made. Supposedly credited with 20,000+ kills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0826.JPG
Views:	1552
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	266459

Name:	IMG_E0825.JPG
Views:	1341
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	266460

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

My dad and I spent this last winter converting about 11 47 MHz Helnglongs, including a StuG III to 6.0 standard. cute little tank.

Comment

You will officially be a resource! How did you like the improvements?

Comment

I am very happy with the 5.3 to 6.0 upgrade I did on my Stug III. Huge difference in performance. Plus I added the new IR capability and Blue motors too. I was disappointed that what looks like a full size battery compartment only holds the small size battery

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_59468.jpg Views:	6 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	266579. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_59469.jpg
Views:	1289
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	266580

Comment

I agree about the small battery compartment. The small Admiral battery fits fine, though.

Anyway, here is step one; repaint the frame.

Name:	5861AAB4-046D-4779-A098-66B45CA4D9AF.jpeg
Views:	1294
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	266659

Comment

She is looking great SoCalBob!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
              I agree about the small battery compartment. The small Admiral battery fits fine, though.

Anyway, here is step one; repaint the frame.

Name:	5861AAB4-046D-4779-A098-66B45CA4D9AF.jpeg
Views:	1294
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	266659
              Nice new color!

Comment

Hi SolCal,

I popped for a Stug a month ago just because I think is one of the coolest tanks ever. And like you I went thru exactly the same scenario as you. I won't worry about updating to 6.0 or win any IR battles, but she does shoot a hell of a BB. Shot my 40yr son at fifty feet in the back and he said "ouch". Mission Accomplished!!

Grandpa
                Attached Files

Comment

Grandpa, very nice. Do I detect some airbrush shadowing and gunsmoke residue? Well done.

Ok, step two, the scariest for me; airbrushing camouflage. Interesting how colors change depending on lighting. In this case it was partly cloudy. Once it’s done, it’ll be time to repaint the tires.

Comment

If you are interested in what it looks like inside the Stug III after my v6.0 upgrade here are some images with notes on the changes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0891.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	197.1 KB ID:	267006

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0892.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	267007

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0858.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	267005

And the final results. First drive.😃

Comment

Wow Karl! Fantastic. I’ve saved the pictures for reference. So, you bought a 6.0 main board, an IR receiver, an IR emitter, a smoke unit, blue motors and of course a transmitter. Did I get that right? It’s nice to see everything fits. Bravo!

Comment

Grandpa, very nice. Do I detect some airbrush shadowing and gunsmoke residue? Well done.

Ok, step two, the scariest for me; airbrushing camouflage. Interesting how colors change depending on lighting. In this case it was partly cloudy. Once it’s done, it’ll be time to repaint the tires.

Weird. When I upload from my ipad the photos show. When I look from my PC, nothing. I'll reload here.

Name:	IMG_0841.JPEG
Views:	1219
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	267118
                        Next steps; decals and weathering.
                        Attached Files

Comment

It’s taking shape 👍👍 and looking good. Can’t wait to see it in action.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
                            It’s taking shape 👍👍 and looking good. Can’t wait to she it in action.
                            hey! Yeah, this guy won’t battle until it’s a 6.0. As I’m sure know steering control in 5.3 is crude, too much so for a fixed barrel AFV. Getting it to look pretty will keep me motivated to update it. First priority is to prepare the T-72 for battle. Gotta run some wires....

Comment

Something about the Sturmgeschutz III (StuG III) that I really like. I love assault guns and SPGs, and the StuG III being the most produced armor in WW2 means dozens of variations for modelers.

I'm excited to see yours in action as well, SoCalBobS !
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Wow Karl! Fantastic. I’ve saved the pictures for reference. So, you bought a 6.0 main board, an IR receiver, an IR emitter, a smoke unit, blue motors and of course a transmitter. Did I get that right? It’s nice to see everything fits. Bravo!
                                Bob,
                                Here is what comes with the 6.0S upgrade kit. You also need the 6.0S board. I got it without the 6.0 transmitter because I already had one. FYI you can bind all your tanks to one 6.0 transmitter. It is hilarious if you have all the tanks on. They will all start up and drive in unison. LOL!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 8.51.08 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	712.7 KB ID:	267274

Comment

Pretty much done, time to run it in the dirt! By the way, I echo another thread, GLUE THE SMALL PARTS! I’ve already lost a couple after driving a little frisky.

Comment

I am working on my Stug currently. I have the base paint done, but waiting for an upgraded airbrush to deliver. My current airbrush is just not up to the detail required.

Bob (not from SoCal!)

Name:	IMG_0590.jpeg
Views:	1163
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	267537

Comment

I 'm using/learning my Iwata Eclipse and a Harbor Freight compressor. I still have a Testors/Aztek setup, but I can't get good performance out of it, although some folks do. And you? Wishing you good luck.

By the way, someone here recommended Peddinghaus water slide decals, many in 1:16 scale. That's what I used.

Comment

Which model and what nozzle are you using on your Aztek? Is the paint spattering, or running, or drying too soon?

My old Aztec A470 fought me a lot until I nailed a narrow corridor for optimal air pressure and paint viscosity. I also used a retarded, depending on the brand of paint (mostly Tamiya at the time).

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                        X